"homing" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm moving in less than 2 weeks...i'll be moved on the 18th. I have lots of friends that want to come visit me!!

BUttt.......

they want...meat, dairy, etc...

I set the rules..no dairy/meat in my house. no byproducts except toiletry stuffs and clothing.

So...I need ideas on how to keep my pantry: non-soy for dairy replacement (almond milk? for baking?), ideas for foods with black beans (the only bean this girl tolerates), recipes for tried and true vegan and Gluten free breakfast breads, honey is allowed, I gave her that much, cuz I'll probably want it in my house anyhow (please spare me with vegan police)...

Her daughter likes dairy, can't tolerate soy (neither of them can)...

And for those other people that are interested in staying at my house, gf isn't an issue for anyone but this girl. Everyone else would be happy at my place, I'm great at cooking and baking ^_^

I'm just at a loss for my friend. She says she needs 6oz of meat a day and can go out for that...

I could make her homemade almond milk so that it's guaranteed GF and unsweetened...she's particular about sweeteners..

I'm at a loss though...

(me)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

For baking, I've heard a lot of people give their thumbs up to rice milk or almond milk. I don't bake, so I couldn't tell you which one works the best. You'll just have to experiement. For drinking, chocolate almond breeze is lovely and soyless.

Black beans can be used in chili, made into "hummus", eaten on salads, in tacos/burritos, or tossed into everything, just like any other bean can (my favourite is to make a veg scramble and add beans at the last so they can heat through - yummy).

For your friend - is there a medical reason why she "has" to have 6 oz or is that a number that she pulled out of air to sound good? If it's a medical thing like hypoglycemia, nuts kept round will give that same protein boost. If it's iron, try to work in some good deep green leafy veggies into your meals, too (just be sure to include a good vitamin C source like red bellpeppers so the iron can be absorbed better). Otherwise, as you say, she can go out for meat if she wants it.

Someone else will have to help you with gluten free breads and a stern tongue-lashing from the vegan police (kidding on that last part ).
#3 Old 04-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Just don't get Rice Dream because it is not gluten free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah...see...she likes to say things without diagnosis, but she is Celiac, hence the Gluten Free diet.

I think she has had hypoglycemia for yrs and yrs now though (celiac she's had her whole life but was finally recently diagnosed)....

She said something about recently her blood sugar has gone crazy and so she's not consuming much sugar, which ruins a lot of recipe ideas. I do not see how limiting sugars (complex and simple) assists with hypoglycemia, especially when a lot of my ideas were high-fiber...in any case...assistance with this would be good. I'll never know as much as her about her own problems, but it's helpful to know how to get around them.

btw-she's ok with nuts and stuff....beans are in limited quantity, and she tolerated b lack beans (limited amounts)....

she won't eat many other beans, so maybe a gluten free trail mix idea would be helpful, as she's able to have honey??

She insists on 6 ounces of meat every day, although I think that while her doc may have helped her discover that amt is "good" or "healthy" doesn't mean it's what's required of her body in order to thrive healthfully. (I don't think meat is that required).

but she won't replace that protein with nuts/beans/seeds....only add to that amt of protein with nuts/black beans/seeds.

no soy for her, so any thoughts would be great!!
#5 Old 04-09-2006, 01:39 AM

honestly, i mean it--good luck! i struggle with this...we live in AZ and our families/lots of friends are in OH, so we almost have visitors--a few veggie, none vegan...for ALMOST everyone we live our lives as we do, shop as we do and the guests are fine with it (we do make sure to take them to some restaurants that we can eat at and they can have their meat if they need to and avoid weird stuff like tofu...)the problem we've run into is my father-in-law (GOD LOVE HIM, PLEASE!) i have decided that next time he comes, i'm gonna buy him his own skillet and take him to the grocery and let him eat/cook what he wants....sometimes its about keeping the peace, i guess!
#6 Old 04-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

when I was up in Michigan, I proclaimed that I'd be eating vegan, and so, I'll cook but not force anyone to eat my food. I want to point out here that with everything I made, I didn't get even half of it, because the men of the house (2) would eat it all >.<

I'm a good cook, and nobody would starve around me, other than this one friend of mine...lol....she'd probably even argue a baked potatp and the cross contaminating gluten that it has (but yet, go to restaurants and order up food that might perchance having a bread crumb on it that has more gluten than the supposed "cross contaminated potato" at home.)....so...it's just hard to gauge what the reasoning behind it all is, and hopefully when she visits, I'll have things figured out for her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page