Vegan Cookbooks that don't focus on tofu/tempeh/seitan/mockmeats - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

The title says it all. It seems like so many vegan cookbooks rely on soy or mock meats, which I rarely ever use, in many of their recipes. I check out Vegan with a Vengeance from the library, but I decided not to buy my own copy because so many recipes use tofu/tempeh/seitan/soy yogurt, and not enough recipes I want to try to justify buying it. My favorite cookbook so far is Vegan Planet and I like it a lot because it uses lots of grains/beans/veggies/whole foods rather than tofu or mock meat. What other vegan cookbooks like VP are really good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Thats funny, I always thought the opposite. I can never find a cookbook that focuses on the wacky fake meat stuff and not salads and stuff covered in cheese.
#3 Old 04-07-2006, 09:16 PM

id like to know of a cookbook like that also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Any of the raw "uncookbooks" out there would fit the bill.
#5 Old 04-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah..I was going to recommend Vegan Planet (which I received for Christmas).

I really like "Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen" and "Voluptuous Vegan" as well, although I've not dug into them too deeply yet.

(just beginning my culinary journey over here )

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 04-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Tassajara Cooking. It doesn't have one recipe for tofu, etc. Don't get "Tassajara Recipes," get "Tassajara Cooking," which is older.
#7 Old 04-08-2006, 05:31 AM
Veggie Regular

The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook has good recipes that don't focus heavily on tempeh/tofu/seitan

but it does have recipes for those, and then recipes for how to use them..
#8 Old 04-08-2006, 09:34 AM

Jump Up and Kiss Me - Spicy Vegetarian Cooking is a great one and it doesn't rely on tofu and mock meats, most recipes are dairy free too.

Vive le Vegan

all of the Moosewood cookbooks have a lot of recipes with whole foods and no tofu or soymeats

Those are my favorite cookbooks and my husband finds mock meats and cheeses and tofu revolting
#9 Old 04-09-2006, 01:53 AM

well, tofu is in there, but not in all the recipes and they are easy and fast..i love: 20 MINUTESTO DINNER, QUICK, LOWFAT,LOWCAL, VEGETARIAN MEALS, by BRYANNA CLARK GROGAN...we eat recipes from this book regularly...its great--lots of veggie cooking info, basics that you can build off of--nothing too complicated! really good!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page