breading help. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-11-2003, 02:24 AM
Veggie Regular

help!

i have always made a great eggplant parmesan, but it was always ovo-veg and i have not come up with a perfect replacement for the egg wash i used for the breading.. i have tried egg replacer and a flour batter mixture, but it is just not the same. i think the egg wash was a barrier for the oil because now it is too greasy.. i guess i could bake the eggplant, but i would really rather come up with a good alternative for the egg wash..

here is the recipe :

make your fav spagetti sauce.

take a eggplant and slice into thin slices.

breading:

container 1: whole wheat flour seasoned with italian spices.

container 2: finely crushed whole wheat crackers

container 3: egg wash (help)

heat oil in frying pan. about a 1/2 deep of oil.

dip slices of eggplant in eggwash, flour, eggwash and then crushed crackers. fry until golden brown.

remove from pan and sprinkle with "parmesan cheese" .

do this for all slices of eggplant.

once all of the eggplant is fried place in a single layer on cookie sheet then cover each slice with a slice of "mozzerella cheese" put until broiler til "cheese" has melted..

put eggplant on a plate and top with the sauce.

yum!

so all i need is a way to keep the breading as yummy as it was ovo-veg.. i have replacement for the cheese, so now all i need is one for the egg!

(hope that recipe made sense it was off the top of my head)

so please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-11-2003, 02:48 AM
Veggie Regular

i always use soymilk. it works pretty well, though the temperature of the oil makes a difference too. you want it to be hot enough to seal the breading quickly before too much oil seeps in, but not so hot the breading burns...

this looks like a marvie recipe...thanks for sharing!

eta: what do you use for the mozzerella?
#3 Old 07-11-2003, 02:51 AM
Administrator

I thought it said 'breeding help.'

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-11-2003, 03:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

I thought it said 'breeding help.'

only you michael..

kreeli,

i use tofutti mozzerella slices..

i have tried just soymilk it is not sticky enough to make the crushed cracker stick. the egg is not heavy, so it is not noticed. when i have tried to use a batter or other wet stuff it is just not the same. i have considered using silken tofu beaten to a smooth liquid. i have no clue if it would work.
#5 Old 07-11-2003, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad you posted this question. I have been wondering the same thing....the one time I made eggplant parm I just used water to get the breadcrumbs to stick. It worked somewhat well, but I'm sure there's something better out there.
#6 Old 07-11-2003, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried flax seed egg replacer (1 Tb. flax seed blended with 3 Tb. water)? It's quite sticky, and I was reading in How it All Vegan last night that you can siv it to get the remaining chunks out and be left with the stickiness of it. (I haven't tried this, it's just a thought.)
#7 Old 07-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

That flax seed idea is brilliant. I bet that would work, and it wouldn't add any off flavors.

I'm pleased, too, oneness, that you've asked this question and posted that great recipe. Eggplant parm was always one of my favorite dishes before I was vegan. I haven't had it in a long time. My husband will be fatly stoked.
#8 Old 07-11-2003, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Quizeen

My husband will be fatly stoked.

hehheh. i LOVE that!

oneness...hmmm..i've never breaded eggplant before, but the soymilk has always worked for me when it comes to tofu or seitan. maybe you could try blending it with a small amount of something starchy, like corn starch or tapicoa flour...?

otherwise, yeah, i agree, the flax might work (though i've never been a fan of the flax egg...too much dang work for me!)
#9 Old 07-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

try using the energy egg replacer

but instead of adding it to water, add it to soymilk

that should do the trick

Caroline
#10 Old 07-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know what what would work best, but when you find something that works will you bring me some for dinner? Next Tuesday will do nicely, thank you.

#11 Old 07-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

LOL ..........I thought this read

"Breeding help"

hehehhe ....sorry

Anyway, I haven't tried breading since going vegan (actually never did it before then for myself either although I used to do it alot in the restaurant I worked at so I know the traditional process)

I'd really like to try this ...I think I will this week! Tofu balls! :-D
#12 Old 07-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

i have used egg replacer with soymilk and it was still not right..

the difference is that with the egg wash the breading sticks well and forms a nice even coating on the eggplant, but everything else i use allows the eggplant to become somewhat greasy.

i will try flax egg..

thanks everyone..
#13 Old 07-14-2003, 06:39 PM
Beginner

Oneness: Please let me know how the flax egg works...I have the exact problem with my eggplant parm. I used soymilk, but now luck, it took almost my whole roll of papertowels to drain all the oil out of them suckers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page