VeggieBoards banner

Advice with egg replacer in baking

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  ketivnilloc 
#1 ·
I used a few of the kitchen subsitutes listed and found Ener-G egg replacer at the HFS so I use that too. I have no complaints on the taste, all my baked goods taste great with the dairy/egg replacers but has anyone noticed that baked goods come out airy and crumbly with egg replacer? Even though it all tastes great it starts to fall apart when you touch it. I'm pretty sure it's the egg replacer that's causing the issue, the recipes never came out that way before and it's the only thing I've changed, so any ideas/tips? I can't even get my chocolate chip cookies to the cooling rack before they're just dissolving.

I suppose it could be the vegan margarine too, I use Earth Balance, but something tells me it's the egg replacement. How do I firm up my baked goods?

Mary

See less See more
#3 ·
It's not the margarine but definately the egg replacer, or rather, lack of eggs that causes baked goods to fall apart since eggs act as a binder. Things like Ener-G Egg Replacer are just starch which is great to thicken up a liquid but doesn't really help for binding.

With chocolate chip cookies, wait about a minute or so after taking them out of the oven before transferring them to a cooling rack.

For other baked goods like cake and especially brownies, they become very crumbly. Unfortunately, I have no advice to offer on how to fix it but hopefully someone on here does.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryC1999 View Post

I used a few of the kitchen subsitutes listed and found Ener-G egg replacer at the HFS so I use that too. I have no complaints on the taste, all my baked goods taste great with the dairy/egg replacers but has anyone noticed that baked goods come out airy and crumbly with egg replacer?
applesauce is my savior for baking since going vegan. i mainly bake bread, buns, pitas n' stuff like that, but when i first went vegan i used that energy stuff and got the same results as you, then i started adding applesauce and i'd say all my bread stuff turns out superior than when i used eggs.

also VERY WONDERFUL: vital wheat gluten! this stuff is amazing for bread. it gives it that elastic, pull apart without crumblyness...get it if you're not already using it...just sub about 1/4 cup o' flour for it and it'll vastly imorove any crumbly baked stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.