Recipe reviews (let's get specific!) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Please list some recipes that you have tried and your opinion of them. Be sure to tell everyone what cookbook or website you used. Thanks!

Vegan Planet

Tofu & Vegetable Lo Mein p. 261 good & easy

Basil Pesto with Variations p 157 I love it!

Tomato-Basil Lasagna Spirals p. 382 Great, but time consuming. Worth it!

Anasazi Chili with Quinoa p.320 good & easy

Hot & Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms p.55 yuck (and I generally love mushrooms)

Spinach & Tofu Calzones p.439 okay, but I won't make them again.

Tuna-Free Sandwich Filling p.451 flat tasting, not good

Traditional Pizza Dough p.423 Very good. I use half whole wheat pastry flour when I make this dough & it always comes out great. Surprisingly tender.

It's the pizza dough I almost always use.

Friendly Foods

Renaissance Pizza p124 A great pizza, but somewhat time consuming.

Worth it, though!

Tofu Swiss Steak p.135 Yum!

Tofu Cookery

Almond Tofu p.71 Yum

Chinese Sweet & Sour Balls p.76 YUCK

Basic Fried Tofu p.84 Yum

Chiliquiles p.105 YUCK

Eggplant Lasagna p59 good

Tortillas p117 came out very soft & delicious (helpful to have two people - one to roll 'em out, the other to cook 'em.) I make these pretty often.

Chocolate Pudding p142 yuck. Has a strong tofu taste. (Silk chocolate pudding recipe is great, though. Try their website)

Spinach noodles p123 fun to make and yummy! They really come out green!

Tofu Fried rice p 106 easy & yummy

Korean BBQ Tofu p81 also easy & yummy

Tofu Foo Young p 62 People who like egg foo young really like this

Potato Tofu Salad p31 Yum! This recipe uses no mayo of any kind & fools everyone. I use red wine vinegar, not cider vinegar & I increase the wet ingredients.

Please add to this list! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

*bump*

come on people. Bust out a cookbook and write down a couple of winners & losers. Please?
#3 Old 03-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I would have posted, delicious, but i'm ashamed to say i don't own a veg*n cookbook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I rate my receipes in my cookbooks as I go and also put notes as to what I would change.

Ecological Cooking

Bread and Herb Casserole p159 very, very good

Vegetable Casserole p159 very, very good

Hot and Spicy Eggplant P125 did not like

Polenta Pie p168 good

Banana Cream Pie p204 good

The Nutrional Yeast Cookbook

Barbecued Buffalo Zings p125 very very very good, one of my all time favorites. The page is literally stained up and hard to read.

Creamy Kale and Potato Chowder p73 good

Eggless Omelets p16 good and quick

Tofu Bacon p132 very good can use tempeh as well

Roasted Breast of Seitan Turkey p114 good, a bit long to make though

Authentic Chinese Cuisine ofr the Contemporary Kitchen

Braised Chinese Seitan p46 good

Spicey Braised Yuba p66 the worst thing I have ever made. I couldn't get past the texture of the yuba to really taste the receipe.

Steamed Savory Filled Buns p78 okay, definately needs dipping sauce

Baby Bok Choy, Mushroom and Deep fried Tofu Soup p111 good

Stir fried Tofu with Leeks p136 good

Hunan Tofu with fresh Garlic p146 very good, simple with ingredients I always have on hand

Spicy Sichuan Eggplant p163 good

Tofu Cookery

Barbeque Sauce p56 did not like

Enchiladas p66 okay

Teriyaki Tofu p73 good make more marinade

Sloppy Joes p86 good

Danish p114 good

Hush Puppies p120 very good

Jam Dot Cookies p126 okay

Cannoli p137 very good, I make this a couple of times a year

Banana Pudding p142 very good

Making Tofu at home p155 very, very good this was where I learned to make tofu and I have taught 2 others as well and they loved this method too. I have a soymilk maker now so it is less work than the blender method.
#5 Old 03-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Planet

Seitan, pg 16 -- This recipe flopped horribly. I used it to make the raw piece of seitan needed for the Seitan Roast recipe.

Seitan Roast with Chestnut and Cranberry Stuffing, pg 412 -- The stuffing turned out wonderfully while the roast flopped. Did anybody else notice that the author failed to write what temperature to set the oven at when baking the roast? I've noticed a couple of mistakes like this throughout the book.

Wheat-Meat Stroganoff, pg 308 -- Very yummy

Basic Vegetable Stock, pg 68 -- Rich tasting and wonderful

New England-Style Chowder, pg 88 -- I threw it away. This may not have may have been because my co-op only carried dried oyster mushrooms at the time and I had to rehydrate them and even then they tasted stale to me.

Farmhouse Vegetable Soup, pg 89 -- Great comfort food

Balsamic-Glazed Carrots and Kale, pg 200 -- One of my favorite ways to serve my two favorite vegetables!

Mashed Potatoes and Company, pg 204 -- These are creamy and delicious with a hint of sweetness. A Perfect compliment to a home-cooked meal. Yum.

Three-Bean Chili, pg 314 -- Kind of bland- but still a good, basic recipe.

Very-Veggie Chili, pg 315 -- Again, kind of bland- but still a good, basic recipe.

Winter Vegetable Pot Pie, pg 366 -- Good stuff. I've made it many times.

Freeform Caramelized Onion Tart, pg 435 -- I must admit that I don't have much experience making breads from scratch without the help of my bread machine. This recipe requires that you knead the dough. My tart turned out quite hard- it kind of hurt my jaw to eat it. Tasted good, though.

Irish Soda Bread, pg 480 -- Blah. Boring.

Banana Swirl Cheesecake, pg 493 -- I could taste the tofu and it had a gelatinous texture. Gross.

Mango-Coconut Bread Pudding, pg 504 -- Good, but I don't know if I'd make it again. Nothing inherently wrong with the recipe, just a personal preference.

Chocolatey-Peanutbutter Brownies, pg 508 -- SO GOOD. I highly recommend making these brownies. They're super gooey and rich. I think I might make some tonight...

Cranberry-Walnut Oatmeal Brownies, pg 511 -- Tasted good, but were very hard.
#6 Old 03-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

beepingbird, don't feel bad about not having a veg cookbook. I use websites for recipes more than cookbooks, actually.

Lelena & stellar26, thanks for posting!

I think that I'm going to try the Cannoli recipe from TC, and then the stroganoff from VP and the Chocolatey-Peanutbutter Brownies, too. I may have Ecological Cooking, if not, I'm going to buy it because the casseroles sound wonderful.

New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook

Chili Rellenos p43 Very good (I stuff mine with *chicken* tofu)

Enchiladas p50 very good (I use the same *chicken* tofu in these)

I use whole wheat tortillas

Lemon Pie Filling p101 very good (I use half water, half soymilk)

Chocolate & vanilla ice bean (like ice cream) p102 good & easy

Tofu "grilled cheese" sandwiches p127 just okay

Tofu noodles p129 I halved this recipe & used 1 cup wwpastry flour. Good.

Graham Cracker Crust p135 good

Sloppy Steves p140 Awful.

French Cucumber salad p148 good, very tangy.

Karen's cocoa cake p194 good & easy

Oatmeal cookies p205 not good and who wants an "okay" cookie?
#7 Old 03-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Planet-

-Three Bean Chili: I've made this several times and it turned out awesome every time, but I always add TONS of other spices and lots more veggies, usually some lime juice and cocoa powder. I imagine it would be pretty boring if I followed the recipe exactly though.

-Baked Beans: Pretty yummy, but not what I imagine baked beans to taste like.

-Banana Pancakes: Very delicious!

-Indian Spiced Lentil Soup: So good, but add other spices and lots of them. I added carrots to it.

-Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies: They turned out okay, but I messed with the recipe a lot.

-Chocolate-y Peanut butter Brownies: They were crumbly and not extremely good, but pretty yummy, again, I messed with the recipe a little.

-Potato Bread with Chives: A good whole wheat bread, I couldn't really taste the potato though.

-Pumpkin Smoothie: VERY good.

-Rustic Peasant Bread with Olives and Sundried Tomatoes: If this is the bread I'm thinking of with the olives and tomatoes on top, then I order you to MAKE THIS BREAD RIGHT NOW, it's delicious. I kneaded some of the olives and tomatoes into the dough too.

-Pierogis: I made potato pierogis and served them with sauerkraut, no plum sauce. They were really yummy!

-Sweet and Sour Chili Stuffed Bell Peppers: Yumm!!! I used tomato paste mixed with a little water instead of sauce and I used balsamic vinegar instead of whatever vinegar it calls for. They were awesome.

-Kidney Bean and Sweet Potato Curry: This was really good. Again, add extra spices.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page