Boca Burgers - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

.... So, what's up, guys?

Listen, lately I have come to praise boca burgers (Vegan version) for being there for me. I, however, never really even thought about their taste. Today, however, I fixed one for my lunch, and here I am eating it... And it tastes like... Well, for lack of better terms: Crap. It tastes like the brim of a toilet would, I suppose.

See, Bocas have always been my easy way out of cooking, really. I never paid attention to the taste, because I simply didn't care. I didn't have to fix anything, so I was good to go! Throw it in the microwave and BAM! Done.... But wow, I am throwing these nastey things out.

I suppose it is because they are highly processed and produced in a factory. *Shrug* I guess I will start making burgers from scratch. I guess I always have " Natures Burger " too. Sorry, Boca, but... Well... Your a sick burger!

I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Like? Hate? Feel exactly like I do? Fixing my own will be healthier, anyway.

-Aussyj-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

i like them, albeit, i smother them in ketchup, mustard, and barbeque sauce...

personally, i prefer homemade oat-burgers or portobello mushroom burgers to storebought.. but the dorm room sometimes necessitates cheap stuff.
#3 Old 03-04-2006, 07:49 AM

I usually have a box of vegan bocas in the freezer, but I don't use them too often. Mostly, they're just there for an emergency meal or for summer bbq. I really prefer to cook and eat from scratch -- real food is better than manufactured food any day! I make my own burgers and meatballs from chickpeas, whole wheat flour, and seasoning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-04-2006, 08:49 PM

i agree there not sooo great tasting...but are okay in a pinch...

peace and love

jenn
#5 Old 03-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm im the opposite the i love the taste of vegan boca burgers. When i smell them cooking the microwave my stomach grumbles
#6 Old 03-05-2006, 09:54 AM

I do not like Bocas, but it's mainly because of their mushy, falling-apart consistency.
#7 Old 10-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

You guys are likely not cooking them right. What's this business about people microwaving their burgers (on so many threads)? No wonder they come out disgusting! Pan-fry it in loads of oil and it comes out crispy on the outside and delish! Had one today with sauteed onions and BBQ sauce, felt like I was in heaven.
#8 Old 10-14-2008, 02:44 PM

OMG you seriously microwave them? That's disgusting. Microwave ANYTHING and it tastes like ****.
#9 Old 10-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerflip View Post

OMG you seriously microwave them? That's disgusting. Microwave ANYTHING and it tastes like ****.

That's why I don't eat ANYTHING microwaved!
#10 Old 10-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Whatever... The Microwave is my friend.

I nuke my veggie burgers cuz it's quick and easy, and I don't have to wash a pan. Honestly, I don't know if I've ever pan-fried a Boca Burger.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#11 Old 10-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I cook my burgers in my toaster oven. I think Boca burgers say 425 degrees for 15 minutes, if I remember correctly. Definitely better than nuked in the microwave, while easier and cleaner than frying.

But I agree that Boca burgers (and any other vegan burgers that try to imitate the taste and consistency of a beef burger) taste awful. I only eat Boca's chik'n patties, and some non-vegan stuff from Morningstar Farms.

--Fromper

#12 Old 10-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I like the "loads of oil" routeen, but also a kind of gentle steaming with the lid on a pan will make them very juicy and moist. I think they would turn into hard "pellets" if they were Microwaved.
#13 Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Boca's mushroom and flame grilled burgers.

And the funny thing is that I hate mushrooms.

(Choked on one when I was 3 and haven't like them since. I'll eat them on pizza, but

that's about it.)

Flame grilled taste just like real hamburgers to me, but that might just be a matter of opinion.

I don't know if anyone's looking for a burger that tastes like a "real" hamburger,

but I tried Light Life's one and it almost made me sick it tasted so much like the real thing. I was totally freaked out by it, but I ate it after reassuring myself it was safe to eat.

I haven't tried the original boca burger in a while, so maybe next time I'll try a different kind. The first time I tried it I didn't like it, but that was back when I was omni and only curious about going veggie.

I microwave mine and I love them like that. Quick and easy!
#14 Old 10-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually cook mine in oil (not too much though, but I found you have to have a certain amount for it to turn out crispy) season them w/a bunch of seasonings, and munch down. The best way to cook them is on the grill. Sooo good, especially w/grilled mushroom on top & BBQ sauce.

If I'm lazy or don't want to wash a pan, I'll nuke them. You have to watch them closely or the edges get chewyish hard. Then I top w/ketchup, mustard, lettuce & tomato.

I love them either way.
#15 Old 10-14-2008, 10:48 PM

I love the vegan Boca's, but only if they are pizza burgers. I sautee spinach with garlic and onion, then top my microwaved (!) burger with the spinach and some chopped tomatoes and sauteed mushrooms. Top with soy provolone, add a little pizza sauce on the side and they're delicious. The spinach helps the Boca to stay moist and the garlic and onion infuse it with flavor. i also top with a great spice seasoning that I got in the Amish country...salt-free, but has onion, sun-dried tomato and many Italian herbs and spices.
#16 Old 10-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Beginner

I actually love the vegan boca burgers. I nuke it, grill it, ect. They taste fine for me. I'm lacto-veg now, but I still buy the vegan ones. They taste the best.
#17 Old 10-15-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I cook my burgers in my toaster oven. I think Boca burgers say 425 degrees for 15 minutes, if I remember correctly. Definitely better than nuked in the microwave, while easier and cleaner than frying.

Yep, I do the same. Still not big on Boca in general, but for a quick, lazy meal, it works.
#18 Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegWithEdge View Post

hmm im the opposite the i love the taste of vegan boca burgers. When i smell them cooking the microwave my stomach grumbles ">

Ditto!
#19 Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Impeach the gangster

When I was an omnivore kid, the whole point of eating a burger was to get all the trimmings that came with it: tons of mustard, fresh chopped onion, dill pickle, fresh sliced tomato, shredded lettuce (today I have taken to using raw baby spinach,) and a fresh bun. It's the same with Boca: the patty is just an excuse for getting all the other stuff. That's where the real flavors are. Frying is definitely the way to go: crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside. You get out of it what you put into it.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#20 Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I like the boca vegan burger, but the gardein ones I love. smiley.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page