Favorite Vegan Cookbooks? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

HI, everyone! Been a while since I posted.

Lately, My older brother moved off to college. (*Moment of silence for his lost buddy, and the only up close vegan he knows besides himself...*)

Anyway, the point is that he was the creative one in cooking. I never had to worry about what to fix, because my buddy was always fixing food for us! Dinner, lunch, and breakfast.. I always had him to help! Now that he is gone, I have decided to take matters into my own hands, or else I shall starve! ...

Anyway, so the other day he and I were in a book store. I found a Vegan Cookbook. I am not sure really which one it is, but that isn't too important.. What is important is that all the recipes in it are either A) Tough as a motha' Treker OR B) Call for crazy ass ingredients that I don't have/are incredibly expensive.

So... What are your favorite VEGAN cookbooks? I heard that Vive La Vegan was good, as well as Vegan With A Vengence. Tomorrow I am returning to the book store, so I wanted some oppinions.

P.S

I really don't have a lot of exotic ingredients. I don't buy tons of fresh herbs and Asian Chilli paste and stuff like that, so... I heard that Vegan with A Vengence was easy on the ingredients, so I think I am swaying towards that. Really, any cookbook that is Easy and Vegan will do.

Please and thanks for the help!

- Austin J Archer -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Yup, I like Vegan With a Vengeance, too

Also, La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer.

These two have similar, relatively simple and inexpensive comfort-food-leaning-towards-junk-food type recipes with a few healthy things thrown in for good measure. I'd love to get some healthier, whole food cookbooks too, so I'm interested to see others' recommendations
#3 Old 02-25-2006, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

How it All Vegan!

The Garden of Vegan

Vive le Vegan

La Dolce Vegan

Vegan With a Vengeance..

The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook (our co-op sells this, i'm not sure if it's still in publication, but all the recipes are vegan and YUMMY!)

Vegan Planet

The Voluptuous Vegan

The Everyday Vegan

Vegan Family Favorites

my mum owns some of these and we check out some of the others from the library.. they are all amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I have Vegan Planet. Thats the one, now that I remeber it... And, well, I am impressed with the cookbook itself, but like I said, many of the recipes call for stuff that I don't have or just take way too much time to prepare. So, out of them all, which are your favorites? I really want your oppinions, guys! Pllleeeeaseeee!

` Aussy J `
#5 Old 02-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

The American Vegetarian Cookbook from the Fit for Life Kitchen is great! It's by Marilyn Diamond and the recipes are very practical and easy with ingredients that everyone has in their kitchen. It has a soup section, pasta section, bean and grain section, fake meat section, salad section, dessert section, drink section, fruit section, a potato section, just about everything. I don't think you could too easliy run out of ideas with that book. Barnes and Noble has it.
#6 Old 02-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

My favorite (well, the only one I've ever read, so I'm biased) is Vegan Planet. I really like the Banana Pancakes, 3 Bean Chili, Indian Spiced Lentil Soup, Potato Pierogis, Pumpkin Soy Shake (something like that), Rustic Peasant bread with olives and sundried tomatoes, Potato Bread with Chives (I used onions since I had no idea what a chive was), the baked beans were okay, and some others. I add A LOT of extra spices than the recipes call for though.
#7 Old 02-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

My recommendation is to look up the above mentioned books on www.amazon.com - it will have tons of reviews by people and should give you an idea on how complicated the recipes will be. Of course, don't buy a cookbook until you have taken some time to read over some of the recipies and feel that you can use the cb.

I have at least 15 veg*n cookbooks. My two favorite vegan cookbooks are probably "How it all Vegan"http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...lance&n=283155 (all of Sarah Kramer's books are great) and "The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...lance&n=283155 I don't find either overly complicated. But almost any vegan cookbook will have recipes that include ingrediants I can't buy here such as vegan cheese and vegan yogurt. I sometimes make uncheese using Joanne Stepaniak's "The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...lance&n=283155 but a lot of those recipies can be complicated and time consuming.
#8 Old 02-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Beginner

I only have Vegan Planet but I think it is fantastic. What it lacks in pictures, it makes up for in awesome food ideas. I do think it relys heavily on soy products (lots of recipes call for tofu) but then again, a lot simply don't. The sweet potato and red bean curry recipe is absolutely fabulous!

As with *Sunflower*, I also add more spices than what the recipes call for. But I do that with every recipe, regardless of where it comes from, so just tailer it to your needs.

I don't think the recipes are complicated or call for strange ingredients. I also don't think the recipes take a long time to prepare but I guess it really depends on what you are making.
#9 Old 02-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I just rested on the Garden Of Vegan : How it all Vegan Again!

I must say, I am not un-impressed. I will most likely be going to buy the first one in not too long! This is easy, great, and not to overly played on gourmet ingredients. A+++
#10 Old 02-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, I'm glad you started this thread! I have similar questions as a newly-minted vegan.

I'm interested in healthy whole foods with a lot of FLAVOR. I cook just for myself, so I don't have to worry about pleasing any omnis... often I want something simple or quick, but when I have the time, I really enjoy cooking.

I helps a lot to hear not just what cookbooks people recommend, but why they like them. Thanks!
#11 Old 02-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, another great one is Recipes for Life from God's Garden. It's by Rhonda Malkmus. It and some other recipe books are available at http://www.hacres.com.
#12 Old 02-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

How it All Vegan! is the only cookbook I own. Great book.
#13 Old 02-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

Well, I have Vegan Planet. Thats the one, now that I remeber it... And, well, I am impressed with the cookbook itself, but like I said, many of the recipes call for stuff that I don't have or just take way too much time to prepare. So, out of them all, which are your favorites? I really want your oppinions, guys! Pllleeeeaseeee!

` Aussy J `

lasagna spirals
#14 Old 02-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junia View Post

I'm interested in healthy whole foods with a lot of FLAVOR. I cook just for myself, so I don't have to worry about pleasing any omnis... often I want something simple or quick, but when I have the time, I really enjoy cooking.

There are a couple cookbooks that deal with just cooking for yourself.

The one that I own (which I find to be pretty good) is "Vegan Cooking for One" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/072...Fencoding=UTF8

It is a good idea because it is easy to double recipes etc if you are cooking for more than one person. That is something I don't have to worry about as I don't imagine I will be cooking for someone else anytime soon.
#15 Old 02-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegmedic View Post

There are a couple cookbooks that deal with just cooking for yourself.

The one that I own (which I find to be pretty good) is "Vegan Cooking for One" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/072...Fencoding=UTF8

It is a good idea because it is easy to double recipes etc if you are cooking for more than one person. That is something I don't have to worry about as I don't imagine I will be cooking for someone else anytime soon.

Thanks for the recommendation -- that looks great!
#16 Old 03-01-2006, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I would say never settle on just ONE cookbook - there is such a wide variety out there, and one cook's methods may be better or worse than anothers', some rely heavily on particular "favorite" ingredients or not use any of others...they may use great ingredients but not explain themselves well... it's always a good idea to have a couple to reference...

I own about 35 vegetarian and vegan cookbooks (and thats WAY more than a person needs for sure!!) but I do have "favorite" recipes in almost every book.

I love "The Voluptious Vegan"

"How it all Vegan"

For SUPER SIMPLE EASY stuff, try "Vegan Family Favorites" (available here http://www.veganfamilyfavorites.com/ ).

Also anything by the Post Punk Kitchen ladies or Bryanna Clark Grogan is awesome!!

Good luck, I LOVE veg.cookbooks just as reading materiel.
#17 Old 03-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Banned

I actually collect cookbooks and have dozens and dozens of veggie books. But the one I use the most, even with all of this choice, is 'Nonna's Italian Kitchen' by Bryanna Clark Grogan. Every recipe is a keeper and is very orientated on great tasting healthy meals.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...lance&n=283155
#18 Old 03-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Tassajara Cooking, It has some options for dairy, but everything can be made vegan.
#19 Old 03-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, now I will have to go see if Barnes and Nobles has "Vegan Cooking for One". That one would suit me well!
#20 Old 03-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I actually collect cookbooks and have dozens and dozens of veggie books. But the one I use the most, even with all of this choice, is 'Nonna's Italian Kitchen' by Bryanna Clark Grogan. Every recipe is a keeper and is very orientated on great tasting healthy meals.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...lance&n=283155

DEFINITELY one of my favorites!! I refer to it all the time!! I have shelves and shelves of cookbooks too! Not *all* are veg. friendly but I still love to read through them!
#21 Old 03-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Veggie Regular

TNS, why do I want to say that at Secret Santa time, you didn't have any vegan cookbooks? Did you acquire a bunch?

I finally got the Vegan Family Favorites one too - so far I like it a lot.

Oh, and I love your avatar! So dang cute!
#22 Old 03-03-2006, 01:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't have any specifically vegan ones. (Maybe one or two rather obscure ones, can't remember) But I have loads of L/O vegetarian ones though. My family got me several specifically vegan ones for Christmas...

And SOMEONE (*coughcoughsecretsantacoughcough*) got me this awesome vegan Ice Cream cookbook that has worked WONDERFULLY with my old Ice Cream Maker that had been gathering dust on the "non-vegan" shelf....
#23 Old 03-03-2006, 01:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I didn't have any specifically vegan ones. (Maybe one or two rather obscure ones, can't remember) But I have loads of L/O vegetarian ones though. My family got me several specifically vegan ones for Christmas...

And SOMEONE (*coughcoughsecretsantacoughcough*) got me this awesome vegan Ice Cream cookbook that has worked WONDERFULLY with my old Ice Cream Maker that had been gathering dust on the "non-vegan" shelf....

Hm, wonder who that was?

#24 Old 03-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Beginner

I'd say the' Vegan Cooking for One' is definatly a great starting point if only cooking for yourself. I also have the 'Vegan Mediteranean Kitchen' book but find it a bit complicated and wordy so I havent actually cooked anything out of it, although im sure some of the recipies are great. I also have a book called 'Serene Cuisine' which is veg, not vegan but is simple, healthy food.
#25 Old 09-16-2006, 09:11 PM

I personally like The Vegetarian Family Cookbook. I think that's what it was called. I checked it out from the library once, and I now wish I owned it. It's made for families, aka families with children, so there aren't alot of unusual ingredients. Also, there are vegan options for nearly all the recipes, which I enjoyed even though I'm technically lacto-ovo.

Hope this helps!
#26 Old 09-16-2006, 09:13 PM

Vegan With A Vengeance is AWESOME.

#27 Old 09-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Dance with me,..........i have the vegetarian family cookbook and i love it, very kid friendly and easy ingredients, i usually have them on hand. i bought it from amazon and it was less than 10 dollars.

i also have vegan family favorites, another great easy book lots of on hand ingredients, and kid friendly.

i live vegan with a veng too, i got it at the library, i dont own it yet.
#28 Old 09-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Beginner

Vegan with a Vengeance is great, but not entirely reliable (I've had a few recipes that are great without fail, but I've tried others that just didn't please my tastebuds) BUT the absolute most reliable cookbook I've found is Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. It does use fresh herbs many times, but nothing unusual (lots of basil and parsley) but it's absolutely delicious everytime! I've tried about 100 of the recipes and cook them often for non-veggie friends and they are always a hit! So if you like Italian and Greek food, this is for you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page