I think I'm losing my taste for fake meat :( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I ate a Gardenburger Riblet today, and it was SO nasty. It tasted fatty to me, like real meat! I couldn't eat all of it, so I gave the rest of it to my mother. She said she bit into something that felt like gristle!! I was like, what?! Thank goodness that didn't happen to me, I would have seriously gagged. :P

I've had them before, and this is the first time it's happened, so I thought maybe I just got an old package or something. But after that, the thought of any kind of imitation meat, makes me sick. The more I think about it, the more I wonder why I want to eat food made to resemble dead animals, anyway. This upsets me, because the frozen fake meat is all my mom ever wants to buy.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-03-2003, 07:32 PM

I am like this too. Mark still likes to eat seitan chicken and hot dogs. I eat Lightlife Sausage every now and again and I am more into tofu and vegetables. You shouldn't feel bad for ever eating meat analogs, at least you weren't eating the animal! I stopped eating Boca Burgers because they seemed too real and I make burgers out of beans now like the Goodie Burger recipe from Chef Deborah. If you need some recipes, I can PM some of my faves to you. I hope you like the muffins Speak of the muffin, I have tried many and I can PM some of my faves to you also.

Shannon/Zimma
#3 Old 07-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, once when I was eating those gardenburger chick'n patties, the taste and smell grossed me out a lot! But I kind of got over it. Well, mostly. I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Shannon, I can't wait to make those muffins! I bought some soy yogurt today, for them.

I really like homemade bean burgers! If you can PM me some recipes (preferably VERY simple recipes ) I'd appreciate it!
#5 Old 07-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

This is all good. Whole foods are better for you than these processed substitutes anyway.
#6 Old 07-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the fewer meat analogues I eat, the less I miss the meat. Some of them are a little greasy and grissly. Maybe to make us not miss the "by products?" Then again, be proud, a meat analogue, isn't MEAT.

The Boca burgers give me heartburn, and several of the bacon analogues I've tried just don't do it for me. And, I gave up real hot dogs and Italian sausages long before I decided on a veggie lifestyle for the grossness factor and for the fact that I felt them for days after I ate them. I think the Boca smoked sausage and Italian sausage subs are ok, they don't bother me a week later like the real thing, but I save these for serious cravings and cookouts when I know no veggie foods will be around.

I too have switched to making my own patties out of beans, veggies, tofu, whatever, and dressing them similarly to the originals. It seems, sometimes, that the things I miss about the meat are the things that I used to put on top of it!?

I don't think you're alone out there!
#7 Old 07-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

The Boca burgers give me mild heartburn too. :P

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I agree that it's probably for the best.
#8 Old 07-04-2003, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

When I still ate cheese (2 years of vegetarianism) I hardly ever touched meat analogues at all. I didn't like most of them, plus they made me feel creepy. (Although I had been eating Morningstar Farms' corndogs even before I went veg, because hotdogs have always been disgusting to me, even though I used to like the taste of them.)

But now that cheese is no longer on the menu, I find myself trying more meat analogues and liking them more. There is still a slight creepiness factor, but I'm mostly OK with it -- I'm "secure in my veg*nism," LOL.

Quote:
originally posted by epski

This is all good. Whole foods are better for you than these processed substitutes anyway.

I've heard a lot of people mention that the analogues are basically junk food. That doesn't bother me too much, since health reasons are not my primary ones for going vegan, and I generally eat whole foods anyway. I eat a meat analogue maybe once or twice a week. Also I agree with CharityAJO that being vegan doesn't mean giving up junk food! But I'm kinda curious for more details ... aren't they still a good source of (soy) protein?
#9 Old 07-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

4 $ for a tiny package of fake meat?! Give me decent hearty Tofu on any day!
#10 Old 07-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Burgers are sooo easy to make. I never have a recipe, I just throw stuff together (which is probably why a lot of my stuff turns out wrong, lol). Last time I made some with rolled oats, pintos and rice. In the food processor, I threw in the oats, grinded them (they bind the other stuff), then the pitnos, then the BROWN rice. I also added some spices (can't remember all of them) like dill and red pepper flakes. They were good, but I did have to cook them FOREVER. Sheesh. Anyway, the basic components are binders (such as rolled oats or flour; egg is what they use on TV), a base (rolled oats again, as I did; or rice or beans or something) and then anything else, like corrots, veggies and beans... Stuff. It's all good.
#11 Old 07-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyk

I've heard a lot of people mention that the analogues are basically junk food. That doesn't bother me too much, since health reasons are not my primary ones for going vegan, and I generally eat whole foods anyway. I eat a meat analogue maybe once or twice a week. Also I agree with CharityAJO that being vegan doesn't mean giving up junk food! But I'm kinda curious for more details ... aren't they still a good source of (soy) protein?

I eat junk food all the time, too. Just pointing it out.

I'm having taquitos right now, made with soy protein concentrate and carageenan, along with a bunch of more "natural" stuff.
#12 Old 07-07-2003, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

You asked "has this happened to anyone else" and my answer is "Yes it has. It happened to me."

When I first started out, I found some fakemeats that I liked and stayed with to help me in transition but now, as I'm finding more and more good things out there (most of them not processed), the fakies are taking a "culinary back seat" to the yummy whole foods that exist. I thought of it as moving on to the next level of my veg*nism where I migrated out of the need for fake meats and went into the need for foods that are what they are and not what my former omni mind wanted them to be. The only exception to that rule is my vegbacon and my (very rare, now) gardenburgers. Maybe this is what's happening to you? Maybe your tastes are moving on and wishing for whole-food things instead of that [email protected] you left long, long ago when you said goodbye to your meat...?

I'm not saying that veg*n "junkfood" is bad or anything. Not at all. I'm just saying that maybe you're starting to lean to things that aren't faked out or made to look/feel/smell like the flesh you turned away from. And all I have to say to that is "right on, you!". Your veg*nism is taking you to new directions and new dimentions and I feel so happy for you..
#13 Old 07-08-2003, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by DeeYahMK

. Maybe this is what's happening to you? Maybe your tastes are moving on and wishing for whole-food things instead of that [email protected] you left long, long ago when you said goodbye to your meat...?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I did buy some of the Morningstar garden patties the other day, but you could see the vegetables in them, and they didn't taste like a hamburger. I just want to get away from the taste of meat. I loathe the stuff, so why would I want to eat something that looks and tastes just like it? It's like I'm saying to the omnis ; "You're right, meat does taste great, and I just HAVE to have a veggie substitute to replace it." And I defintely do not feel that way at ALL!

I think some of those veggie substitutes are designed more for a hard-core meat-eater who wants to become a vegetarian, or just for a omni who wants a healthy alternative to beef. I think I'll be saying bye-bye to the fake hamburgers/chicken/ribs/ect. I need to cook anyway. Not just push buttons on the microwave.
#14 Old 07-08-2003, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, its kinda disconcerting. I still like tofu dogs, and tempeh bacon( which doesnt really taste much like bacon). But, I find boca burgers icky cuz they taste too much like meat! I'd rather have a veggie pattie. Yum...
#15 Old 07-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Tempeh bacon? How do you make that?
#16 Old 07-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Dee: You buy it at the store pre-made. I have to confess I've never liked any vegan bacon substitutes.
#17 Old 07-11-2003, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

These things don't gross me out, but I don't eat them. (I guess my attitude could be summed up as "what's the point?")

Many people are brought up thinking that a meal has to have "tasty meat" at its centered, with plant products relegated to boring side dishes - you know, the mashed potatoes and boiled peas. I think that's why some people have trouble going vegetarian...they have no reference point for veggie main dishes. These imitation meats, I suppose, are designed to help those folks out, but it seems much better to just learn how to prepare nice meals from plant foods.

About the only time I eat tofu is in oriental cooking, where it's not pretending to be something else.

Blessings, Tom
#18 Old 07-11-2003, 03:45 PM

Whole food is better but sometimes the prepackaged meatless meats serve the purpose for a quick and kinda healthy meal.

BTW, my omnivores love the riblets!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page