Please Help... Need vegan 'Cream of mushroom' soup recipe! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone could point me in the direction of a tried and true vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe.

I'm hoping to veganize an old 'chicken pot pie' recipe I created a few years ago that I was so proud of (at the time of course. now I look back and think "ewww, how could I have eaten chicken? I was such a freak!" hehe)

Thanks,

Dhatri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

If you're making for a pot pie:

Do you know how to make a roux? It's a thickening agent in cooking and the base for cream soups and white sauces. Basically, it's equal parts of fat and flour. It's best to use a fat that can withstand a lot of heat, like corn oil. Cook in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring almost constantly. cook it for about 20 minutes, minimally, or up to hours if you want a nuttier flavor. I'm not doing the process justice, but it IS easy - just takes time. Tons of cookbooks and websites give the process more detail than I just did. A lttle oux thickens a lot of liquid, so experiment first!

Anyway, mix the roux (which, by the way, keeps in the fridge for a long time), with sauteed shrooms and water. You might want to put some of the mushrooms in a blender first. Use this in lieu of your cream of mushroom soup (allowing for the lack of seasoning, of course).

If you're actually making it to serve as soup - I've had it with coconut milk, and it's great.

It's wonderful for shephard's pie, too.
#3 Old 02-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay! Thanks so much!

I've never made a roux, but I'll definitely give it a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-13-2006, 11:21 AM

I do something pretty similar to the above, but a little creamier--it's actually *just* like Campbell's COM soup.

Melt about 3 tbsp. earth balance in a saute pan over med low heat. Add about 1 pint of button mushrooms, chopped up pretty well. Saute until the mushrooms are cooked through. Add about 3 tbsp. flour and stir well and continuously for about a minute to cook out the raw flour taste. Slowly add in about 1/2 c. veggie broth and about 3/4 c. plain unsweetened soy milk. Use a whisk when adding in the liquids so that it doesn't get clumpy. Keep whisking until the mixture boils and then take it off the heat once it thickens to the consistency you want it. Add salt and pepper to taste. I use this to veganize all of those casserole type recipes that call for COM.
#5 Old 02-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, there is a vegan version available in aseptic containers sold at Wild Oats, health food stores, etc.

I can't remember who makes it, but it's decent. Not as good as the old Cambell's condensed tins, unfortunately.
#6 Old 02-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

hm... i don't think i've had CoM soup-based dishes in... years....

my mom makes a roux using EB and Olive oil when she's making creamy sauces.. and whole wheat pastry flour, LOL
#7 Old 02-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer78 View Post

I do something pretty similar to the above, but a little creamier--it's actually *just* like Campbell's COM soup.

Melt about 3 tbsp. earth balance in a saute pan over med low heat. Add about 1 pint of button mushrooms, chopped up pretty well. Saute until the mushrooms are cooked through. Add about 3 tbsp. flour and stir well and continuously for about a minute to cook out the raw flour taste. Slowly add in about 1/2 c. veggie broth and about 3/4 c. plain unsweetened soy milk. Use a whisk when adding in the liquids so that it doesn't get clumpy. Keep whisking until the mixture boils and then take it off the heat once it thickens to the consistency you want it. Add salt and pepper to taste. I use this to veganize all of those casserole type recipes that call for COM.

That sounds pretty tasty!

I used to use Campbell's, so something close to it would work out great, Thanks
#8 Old 02-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganinohio View Post

Also, there is a vegan version available in aseptic containers sold at Wild Oats, health food stores, etc.

I can't remember who makes it, but it's decent. Not as good as the old Cambell's condensed tins, unfortunately.

Thanks veganinohio, I'll keep that in mind cause I'd like to buy some to keep on hand for when I'm in a hurry.

Although the closest wild oats is an hour and 15 mins away ( ) but hopefully I'll make a trip there by the end of this month.
#9 Old 02-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

There is a "Cream of Mushroom" soup called Creamy Portabello by (I think one or the other??) Imagine Foods or Pacific Foods - It comes in an aseptic container (a box, basically) and is incredibly yummy - it works just like Campbells used to in recipes...
#10 Old 02-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Rokeach is a kosher company and they make a parve condensed mushroom soup which is vegan and great. If there is a kosher market near you, keep your eyes open for it. It rocks.

It's the first item on this page: http://www.kosher.com/products.cfm?C...05&StartRow=61
#11 Old 02-14-2006, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

aaaaaah my speciality

i use: any type of mushrooms, onions or spring onions, vegetable stock, & alpro soya cream.

Method:

1. fry mushrooms in butter til brown & soft

2. fry whatever other veg you have

3. add herbs etc.

4. make a pint of stock & add to pot

5. top up with hot water

6. bring to the boil

7. add one carton of cream (if you like it really creamy)

8. simmer for an hour or so, stirring now & then

9. add water if needed

10. take off heat, add thickener (if you dont want it like water!)

11. add salt & pepper to taste

12. serve

this is the way i do it, and it comes out perfect.

i made this as a starter to meal once for my (non-vegan) family and they all loved it and asked for the recipe

i also like frying the mushrooms with garlic first, to make it garlic mushroom soup.

hope this helps!
#12 Old 02-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

There is a "Cream of Mushroom" soup called Creamy Portabello by (I think one or the other??) Imagine Foods or Pacific Foods - It comes in an aseptic container (a box, basically) and is incredibly yummy - it works just like Campbells used to in recipes...

That's the one I'm thinking of. It works well.
#13 Old 02-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

There soups are awesome & a good base for other dishes too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page