i cant tell whats vegan and whats not!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-07-2006, 06:07 PM

Hi, I have been vegetarian for 8 years and I want to become vegan. The problem is, many foods that I thought were vegan I later found out werent. For example, are potato chips vegan? Beer? Liquor? Bread? Dry cereal? French fries? Yves veggie food (such as garden burgers, veggie ground, veggie dogs)? How about pasta, I love pasta... and spaghetti sauce? I look at the ingredients before I buy anything, but I really dont know every ingredient that has animal byproducts. So I was hoping that someone could tell me certain ingredients to stay away from, and let me know if any of the food items that I listed above are vegan. Also, if you could share with me some other items that are non-vegan, or vegan, because I really dont know how to tell. Being vegetarian is much easier, but lately Ive been feeling very guilty, and hypocritical because I eat cheese and drink milk. I really dont want to anymore, I love God's creatures with all my heart and I dont want to contribute to their suffering in any way. So I hope someone can help me...thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't stress yourself out there! You'll learn it all eventually... When you're starting out just take what you know. Read the ingredients and if you know for certain that something isn't vegan then don't buy it. If you're not sure, give yourself the benefit of the doubt if you want and don't stress over it if you later find out you were wrong--that's how you learn.

Some common ingredients to watch out for as a vegan: Whey, Gelatin, Casein.

There are lists on the net that show you every single ingredient that may or may not be vegan, but they are so comprehensive that they often list things you'll never encounter or which are only animal-derived on very rare occassion. It's usually more hassle than it's worth. PETA's list is at http://www.caringconsumer.com/ingredientslist.asp
#3 Old 02-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie_girl View Post

For example, are potato chips vegan? Beer? Liquor? Bread? Dry cereal? French fries? Yves veggie food (such as garden burgers, veggie ground, veggie dogs)? How about pasta, I love pasta... and spaghetti sauce?

Potato Chips - most are vegan. Watch for Chicken or Beef fat, or cheese.

Beer, Liquor - I'm not sure. but watch for "isinglass".

Bread - watch for "whey" or honey if you don't eat honey.

Dry cereal - watch for gelatin and whey.

French Fries - most are vegan. Watch for beef seasoning.

Yves, Boca, etc - they will usually say "vegan" on the box. whey, casein, egg whites are common.

Pasta - usually vegan.

Spaghetti Sauce - traditional is usually vegan, watch for cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-08-2006, 12:38 AM

you need this website.. it lists tons of vegan foods

http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/default.asp
#5 Old 02-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm delighted that you want to not be responsible for suffering to your fellow creatures. The above advice is a good place to start. Don't tweak about being perfect. Start off by not eating moo milk and cheese (note that most 'soy cheese' products contain casein), and you'll have eliminated the lion's share of cruelty from your diet. Then start reading labels, which is a fine idea for everyone. Fresca contains "glycerol ester of wood rosin". Yum. You'll progressively become familiar with what ingredients mean, which are always vegan, which never are, and which are indeterminate. You can always buy something then bring it home and research the ingredients online. If one turns out to be animal-based, or likely to be (mono/di-glycerides, etc), then you can just not buy that product the next time. One way to avoid uncertainty is to favor products that largely contain ingredients that sound like food. Wacky idea, no? Along these lines, preparing your own foods instead of buying them prepared can help a lot, plus you'll avoid an astonishing amount of salt.
#6 Old 02-08-2006, 11:51 AM

Thanks so much guys! Thoes lists answer all of my questions... very helpful!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page