Lentils & Black Beans - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-06-2006, 08:47 AM

Moshi Moshi,

Ok, I'm a new veg-head, minimally lacto ovo, and am trying to experiment with different proteins. So I bought some dried lentils and some dried black beans and I just don't know what to do with them. I've never really tried either of them before and don't know any recipes or what they should even taste like. Does anybody have any fantastic recipes for either of these beans/legumes that will make me extra happy that these only cost $0.86 per bag?

~Wonder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Banned

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/85620.html

black bean burgers

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking...cipe_id=521496

black bean chili, it is hot and good! use soyrizo

i like to top baked sweet potatoes with sour cream, vegetarian chili, cheese, black beans and salsa, yum!

mash and make black bean burritos, add some mashed sweet potatoes if you like! http://vegweb.com/recipes/burritos/996.shtml i have been meaning to make them
#3 Old 02-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

There should be quite a few threads here on VeggieBoards about "How to cook beans". They're easy - and the package should actually have good directions on the basics or do a Google search on "cooking dry beans".

Once cooked, use them in any recipe you'd like, a cup and a half is about equal to "one can" of beans. Again, do a search in our very own recipe section, or good-ol' Google.

Black beans will taste a lot like any other bean - use them in burritos, chili, mashed up and mixed with stuff to make "burgers", or cold and drained on a salad - the list is endless.

Lentils are SO yummy made into soup - again, I could post MY favorite ideas but there's SO many recipes out there that might appeal to you better... do you like Italian seasonings? Look for a soup with those ingredients. Curry more to your liking? There's tons of Indian recipes using lentils. Mexican-style foods like burritos are good with lentils too - just read, read, read.

Good luck - and WELCOME TO VB!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

What I would do with black beans or lentils:

Chuck them in to everything from spaghetti sauce to salads and I do mean chuck them into EVERYTHING.

Whirr them up with some spices (ceyanne, black pepper, cumin, corriander, chili powder, curry powder... whatever you like and have on hand) and eat them like a hummus with either pita bread or your favorite snacking veggie.

OR whirr them up and use the spread in place of mayo for sandwiches.

Pile them on rice and enjoy them that way (simple *is* better at times. ).

Whack them into a stir fry during the last bit of cooking so they can heat through. They're also deeeeee-lish when popped in a stir-fry.

Make burgers of them and freeze the patties for later (the ultimate "fast food", IMO. ).

Pop them into a soup (either home-made or comerically canned) for that extra bit of MMMMMMM.

Explore the ethnic cuisine of your choice and either sub out lentils/black beans in place of the beans called for or find a recipe you like and break some rules of your own (which kinda leads back to the suggestion of tossing it into everything from spaghett sauce to salads... ).
#5 Old 02-09-2006, 09:45 AM

Ok, so I cooked up some lentils. At first I was a little worried they'd taste likes peas. I hate peas. So I made the following recipe:

saute the following in olive oil until onions are translucent

2 small yellow onions diced

2 medium red potatoes cubed

a bunch of baby carrots large dice

couple cloves of garlic

Then add 1 cup rinsed lentils and 2 cans vegetarian vegetable stock. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, covered, until lentils are tender.

I should've cooked it for another minute or 2 but this was a fantastic soup. I couldn't get enough. I do believe I just fell in love with lentils. Now if only they didn't make me so gassy...

~Wonder
#6 Old 02-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Cook them with kombu seaweed and that will cut some of the gasiness. Another trick is to soak them in dill for a few hours, then rinse before cooking.
#7 Old 02-10-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Cook them with kombu seaweed and that will cut some of the gasiness. Another trick is to soak them in dill for a few hours, then rinse before cooking.

Ehhh.... Seaweed.... If it tastes anything like norii then I'll just deal with the gasiness. Norii always tasted like rotten fish to me. And I'm not all that big a fan of dill, it tends to take over the dish. But I don't mind the farts. As Nickelodeon says farting is healthy, so I'll just show how healthly I am

I'm sure it'll calm down once my body gets used to it anyways. Thanks for the tips though.

~Wonder
#8 Old 02-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbwonder View Post

Ehhh.... Seaweed.... If it tastes anything like norii then I'll just deal with the gasiness. Norii always tasted like rotten fish to me. And I'm not all that big a fan of dill, it tends to take over the dish. But I don't mind the farts. As Nickelodeon says farting is healthy, so I'll just show how healthly I am

I'm sure it'll calm down once my body gets used to it anyways. Thanks for the tips though.

~Wonder

Farting *may* be healthy - but not always the greatest thing to do in public, and some people's bodies never fully adjust to the amount of fiber in beans...

You just use, like, a 1 inch piece of kombu for a pot of beans, you can't taste it at all.

So you don't like sushi? (*gasp*) My favorite thing EVER!!

And the dill? Re-read the instructions in that post... You soak the dry beans with it for several hours first then DRAIN IT OUT - then cook... it doesn't flavor the finished product at all - but it DOES tone down the gas.

Baking soda is supposed to work too - but that really sounds nasty to me - and I've heard it leeches out the vitimins...
#9 Old 02-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

~Wonder

Neither of these flavors the finished product.
#10 Old 02-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

Lentils never make me gassy - maybe once you cook them long enough it will be better I make a lentil soup from "how it all vegan" - the alphabet soup they have is to die for! :-) Very kid friendly too :-)
#11 Old 02-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

bay leaves in beans cut it down too.
#12 Old 02-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Now here's the real question: Does anyone have an explanation as to why these things help?
#13 Old 02-11-2006, 07:59 PM

Hmm... I might try the dill then. It grows like weeds here so it's never in short supply, except in the winter. But I do have seeds and a window, so maybe I'll grow some up.

The one time I tried norii was on some okonomiyaki. The norii reminded me of the smell of rotting fish at a lake. The okonomiyaki was great though. But I don't know if I want to venture down seaweed lane again anytime soon. I think next time I make the soup I'll eat some brown rice afterwords, or as I call it "Janitor In A Bowl". Then I'll try the dill, once I get some.

Plus, growing it will contribute to my houseplant addiction

Thanks again for the tips everybody. I'll really starting to enjoy my vegetarianism. If only restaurants were more veg*n friendly. Stupid Applebee's...

~Wonder
#14 Old 02-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thanks again for the tips everybody. I'll really starting to enjoy my vegetarianism. If only restaurants were more veg*n friendly. Stupid Applebee's...

~Wonder

If you used to like restaurants like Applebee's.... Ruby Tuesday has a bunch of vegetarian choices, like a veggie burger an Eat Your Veggies platter, large salad bar, brown rice pilaf, steamed broccoli, plain baked potato.

I used to love the Uno's veggie burger - made with brown rice (but it's made with egg whites and now that I'm vegan I can't eat it)

You can always order a meal minus the meat. (as long as they cook it from scatch - you don't want them just picking the meat out with their hands)

Sometimes I'll order plain pasta with some chopped up tomatoes etc..

Look at the menu as a guideline. It tells you what ingredients they have. You can tell them to combine those ingredients any way you want. Just be nice and polite.
#15 Old 02-11-2006, 11:21 PM

Applebee's isn't bad. I like Chili's better. Although I haven't been there since I went veggie. Before I went veggie I would look at the menu and only filter out the foods with things I don't like, like tomatoes and bell peppers. Now I look at the menu and I'm lucky if I see 1 item without meat or cheese in it. I can't believe I never noticed that before. It's pretty ridiculous. But I guess I do need to be less picky about my vegetables and get used to limited options in restaurants. And the closest Ruby Tuesdays is about half an hour drive away, even longer for me cause I don't drive. I just don't understand why every dish should have meat in it? What are restaurants thinking?

~Wonder
#16 Old 02-15-2006, 03:07 AM

Just an update for all of those who really want to know. I've made another batch of lentil soup and I think my body has gotten used to it. No more obnoxiously funny gas. But even if I did have it, I'd still eat the lentil soup, it's oh so good and filling. It almost has a chicken brothiness to it even though it contains no animal carcasses. I need to come up with some more recipes for 'em. My mother recommended a lentil burger, but I think it would be too mushy.

~Wonder
#17 Old 02-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My mother recommended a lentil burger, but I think it would be too mushy.

~Wonder

Maybe yourMom already gave you a recipe?But I make these all the time and they're never mushy - the oats and breadcrumbs absorb any extra moisture - they're yummy!!

1 c dry lentils, well rinsed

2½ c water

½ t salt

1 T olive oil

½ medium onion, diced

1 medium carrot, diced

½ t pepper

1 t soy sauce, optional

¾ c rolled oats, finely ground

¾ c bread crumbs

Directions Place the lentils, water, and salt in saucepan, bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes, until water is nearly gone and lentils are very soft, with splitting skins.

Sauté the onion and carrot in oil until soft, about 5 minutes. (Often I cook it with the lentils so it's softer)

Mix the lentils, onions, carrots, pepper, and optional soy sauce in the large bowl, (I mash a bit with a potato masher at this point) then mix in the ground oats and bread crumbs - add more bread crumbs if needed to make the mixture easy to work with - not too mushy and not too dry and crumbly...

While still warm, form the lentil mixture into patties, which can now be frozen, refrigerated (for up to 5 days), or cooked immediately.

Cooking (2 possibilities):

In a frying pan, heat a bit of oil, place a burger on top, and fry until brown, 1-2 minutes. Repeat on other side and serve.

In a 400º oven, bake the burgers on a greased baking sheet until light brown, about 15 minutes.
#18 Old 02-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

My absolute favorite lentil recipe is this.

Sauté one large onion, till translucent, then add a large can of chopped tomatoes. Cover and simmer till the tomatoes begin to break down. Add a cup of washed lentils and two cups of water and salt to taste, bring to a boil, turn the heat to low, cover and simmer till the lentils are done. Add lemon juice to taste and enjoy.
#19 Old 02-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

To de-gas beans or lentils: Add a little baking soda or fennel seeds to the soaking water. We eat beans 2 or 3 times a day, and it works every time.
#20 Old 02-15-2006, 10:46 PM

TNS, that sounds pretty good. What is the texture like? And how does it taste on a bun with ketchup? I used to like to dip my burgers in ketchup, I think I liked the ketchup more than the burger

Magnus, I heard that cooking beans in tomatoes makes them tough.

healthnut32, yesterday I ate pretty much nothing but lentils and I had no gas, so it looks like I don't need a cure afterall, YAY

But I'm still going to grow the dill, because I'm just that addicted to houseplants, they're my crack

~Wonder
#21 Old 02-19-2006, 10:22 PM

can I suggest this recipe? It is one of my faves....

Lentil Stew

1-1/2 cups lentils ( I just thow the whole 1 lb. bag in)

1-1/2 quarts of tap water (6 cups)

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

3 tablespoons olive oil

15 oz can tomatoes

1 large onion, chopped ( I like lots of tomatoes so, I use 2 cans)

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon basil (optional)

(I also add 1 bag of frozen mixed veggies (carrots, peas, green beans, and corn))

Get out a large stew pot. Put the lentils in it, and add the water. You can wash the lentils first in a colander if you like, they do sometimes have a little dirt in them, so rinsing them is a good idea. Then put the clean lentils in your big pot (4-quart size) and add the tap water. Bring the lentils to a boil and simmer them on the back of the stove for about an hour. They should be nice and soft, if they aren't then cook them a little longer, until they taste soft enough to you. Now get out an iron skillet or another type of frying pan. Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Quickly sautè the onions and garlic until they become tender and translucent. This should only take a couple of minutes. Then add the tomatoes and basil (and mixed veggies). Bring to a slow boil, and simmer for a few minutes. Meanwhile, add the salt and pepper to the lentils. When the tomatoes and onions are hot, add them to the pot of lentils. Stir it up and serve. This stew is very hearty. If you already love lentils, then this recipe will probably become a favorite. If you don't like them yet, then this is a good "get acquainted" recipe. They have a special flavor which puts one in the mind of getting closer to the earth.
#22 Old 02-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I do believe I just fell in love with lentils. Now if only they didn't make me so gassy...

~Wonder

You can cook lentils separate, then drain the water, give them a rinse, then put them in with the other stuff you're using for soup in a separate pot. Draining legumes from the water they were cooked in will decrease the *air* effect. The cooking water contains undigestable sugars that give you gas.

Same with cans of beans, drain them, give them a rinse. You'll be surprised at the difference.

Also, you can use a digestive to cook them, like dill (then drain the water). You can also put 1tsp of vinegar (white, red or apple) in with your beans while they cook. Helps get the air out.
#23 Old 02-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I love cold lentil salads with corn, cucumber, pepers and beans in them with a nice light vinegary sauce. Black beans are also easy to throw into salsa.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page