Ok give me your best menu plan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-01-2003, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Say you had a date, or a dinner party with omnis or just somesort of important dinner activity where you wanted to assure that everyone not only liked the food but feel in love with it. Also, assume its winter.

What would you make for entree, main and dessert?

I'm thinking:

entree: sun-dried tomato garlic bread (probably too easy)

main: shepards pie (from how it all vegan)

dessert: have no idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2003, 06:49 AM

I have a great idea for the desset, follow this link

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/77563.html

That is THE BEST cake ever. It looks beautiful and it is one of the few cakes I have made. I mainly make cookies and pies and muffins. My Mom was really impressed with the fajitas, too.

How about lasagna and garlic bread? Omnis love lasagna. You could do a spinach-mushroom one or mixed vegetable or even one with some meat analogs. You could also do a tofu quiche, or even mini quiches. Roasted root vegetables, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and a green vegetable (peas or asparagus) would be a good winter meal. That is what we had for Christmas at my house. Oh, and if it is winter, don't forget the pumpkin pie. The Mori-Nu recipe for pumpkin pie is TDF! www.morinu.com

Another impessive dessert is a trifle. Everyone loves these.

Layers of pudding, pound cake, fruit.

Vanilla or lemon pudding, pound cake or ladyfingers, strawberries or blueberries and top with Hip Whip.

Chocolate chunks, cranberry orange muffins, orange or vanilla pudding. These are impressive in a decorative bowl.

Hope these ideas helped

Shannon
#3 Old 07-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Shannon.

I can't believe no one else replied.

What no one is that certain of their recipes tasting amazing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-03-2003, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

i like toserve this as thanksgiving dinner--so i only make it about once a year:

pumpkin soup

puff pastries (stuffed with wild rice, chopped greens, and seitan) served with green beans (with mushrooms, sage,and white wine), and spicy sweet potato bites

dessert: chocolate crepes with mixed berry filling, chocolate soy ice cream and a drizzle of mixed berry purree (sauce). spring of mint.

it's such a hit tha tmost people "lick the plate" (or at least eat everything that i made.

sometimes i like nut loaf. I've written out these recipes so many times, they've gotta be on VB somewhere.
#5 Old 07-03-2003, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Entree: A seasonal soup...maybe potato leek with a crusty bread.

Main dish: Stuffed acorn squash halves, fill them with a veg*n risotto and other complimentary veggies - mushrooms, sauteed onion, etc., sort of a one dish meal.

Dessert: I have a brain cramp...
#6 Old 07-03-2003, 10:10 AM

for dessert, i always thought that really, really fresh, in-season fruit sprinkled with a little sugar and baked with puff pastry or just by itself is delectable...
#7 Old 07-03-2003, 02:44 PM

The best recipe for dessert I have made so far on this site is this chocolate cake -- I will insert link below - the ingredients and cooking directions are simple, but it is delicious! I have made it at Thanksgiving myself once and I like to glaze it with a confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar), water (ice water enough to make it really thin), and one tsp. of vanilla extract. The effect is that of a chocolate glazed donut ... mmm.

http://www.vegweb.com/food/sweets/629.shtml
#8 Old 07-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Beginner

These are the BEST baked holidays treat I've ever come across. Mmmn...

Sorry this wasn't veganized, but I usually use another recipe for the macaroon mixture and hadn't veganized them both yet. I just use egg replacer for the other one(it's off an almond paste box) and it comes out fine for me. If it looks too thin, add flour/coconut to it.

Chocolate Macaroon Squares

1/3 cup margarine, cut up

3/4 cup sugar

1-1/4 cups flour

egg replacer equal to four

1-1/2 tsp. vanilla

3 cups sweetened coconut, shredded

1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

small bottle of marischino cheerries

In a food processor or with your fingers, whirl or rub margarine, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 cup flour until dough begins to hold together. Press evenly over bottom of a generously oiled 9-inch square pan. Bake crust in a 350°F oven until golden, 10-15 minutes.

In a large bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Add vanilla and remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup flour; mix until smooth. Stir in coconut. Sprinkle chocolate in an even layer over pastry. Spoon coconut mixture evenly over chocolate; use a spatula to cover chocolate completely. Place cherries evenly spaced, a half inch or so apart, and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Continue baking until macaroon topping is golden and slightly wet-looking, about 25 minutes. Cool in pan on rack. Using a very sharp knife, cut into 1-1/2-inch squares.
#9 Old 07-06-2003, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by zoebird

i like toserve this as thanksgiving dinner--so i only make it about once a year:

pumpkin soup

puff pastries (stuffed with wild rice, chopped greens, and seitan) served with green beans (with mushrooms, sage,and white wine), and spicy sweet potato bites

dessert: chocolate crepes with mixed berry filling, chocolate soy ice cream and a drizzle of mixed berry purree (sauce). spring of mint.

it's such a hit tha tmost people "lick the plate" (or at least eat everything that i made.

sometimes i like nut loaf. I've written out these recipes so many times, they've gotta be on VB somewhere.

Ohhhhhhhh can you give me the recipe for the choc crepes, are they hard to make.

I think i'm going to make the shepards pie for main so soup maybe a bit too much like it, any other ideas for entrees?
#10 Old 07-07-2003, 06:17 AM
Veggie Regular

BANANAS FOSTER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 tbsp. Earth balance natural buttery spread

1 cup dark brown sugar (unprocessed)

2 bananas

2 oz. banana liqueur

4 oz. dark rum

Ground cinnamon

soy ice cream/rice ice cream

(note: earth balance natural buttery spread is my salvation, it made going vegan much easier.)

First, you should make some preparations. Peel a thin strip of peel from the bananas, and use your knife to slice the banana crossways into coins (or any other way you want).

Put your ground cinnamon into some container.

Now, to business ...

Melt the butter(vegan alternative) and add the brown sugar(unprocessed) to form a creamy paste. Let this mixture caramelize over the heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in the banana liqueur and rum. Heat until the liquor is warmed, about three minutes. Add the bananas, cook for about 1 - 2 minutes, then ignite with a flourish. Here's the best way to do this:

Using a long, bent-handled ladle, scoop up some of the warm liquor. Hold it a foot or two above the chafing dish and ignite the liquor in the ladle. VERY CAREFULLY, pour the liquor into the dish. A column of flame will descend from the ladle into the dish, which will ignite with a marvelous *poof*! Keep a pal nearby, subtly wielding a fire extinguisher. Try not to become a human torch in the process.

Agitate to keep the flame burning, and add a few pinches of the ground cinnamon to the flame. The cinnamon will sparkle orange in the blue flame, and looks really neat.

Let the flames go out. Serve over ice cream (soy ice cream or rice ice cream).

Variations: one may substitute any fruit for this dish that has a correspondingly flavored liqueur -- peaches, pears, whatever.

------------

I have modified this recipe to make it vegan..it will come out almost exactly the same as the original ..the most differing element being the soy ice cream , depends on personal preference..

the original recipe gives some interesting ideas about how to make this dish in front of your friends to wow them, i personally found this a bit cheesy, but others may find it fun

the original recipe is here:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/dessert/ban-foster.html
#11 Old 07-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Dessert: I don't know whether Cointreau liqueur is vegan -- I'd guess it is, but have never triple-checked. If so, a fruit salad drenched in Cointreau is delicious and quite elegant. (Oranges, apples, raisins, pears....) With some variety of vegan vanilla icecream, perhaps? Or an orange sorbet? Particularly suitable if the occasion is a date.
#12 Old 07-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Oooh, or with some sort of dark (milkless) chocolate drizzled on top. I don't even like dessert that much but this is starting to sound good .....
#13 Old 07-09-2003, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

sunny But wish one do i choose?

schu that sounds good although a little dangerous

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page