Tofu Scramble - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Beginner

May seem a daft question, but how do you make it and what flavourings do you do?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I use a spice mix that's labeled for soup or omelet, it has mainly soy and dry vegtables. I also add nutritional yeast and turmeric.

I fry the tofu a little with onion (sometimes red sweet pepper) and than add the spices with water and cook it till it gets dry.
#3 Old 01-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

This is how I make it.

Sautee any veggies you like. You must include at least onions and garlic, but I also like peppers and baby bella mushrooms. Feel free to add any veggie you like at this stage. Then drain and squeeze all the water out of the tofu, and crumble it with you hands, or a fork if you don't like ot get messy. put that in the pan and fry it up with the veggies, wait for it to get hot and fried then add lots of curry. If you aren't a curry fan you can add tumeric to give it the color. I also add a touch of braggs, and some cayenne pepper. Then I add hot salsa on top of that. Don't over do it with the salsa.

This was inspired by the recipe in how it all vegan. Alter any part of it to taste. Server with buttered toast and hash browns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I take a thick slice of tofu (about 1/5th of the container for one person) and mash it with a fork. Then I put it in a non-stick pan with some chopped garlic, and let it cook while stirring occasionally until it changes texture and some of the water evaporates (just a couple of minutes).

From there, I start adding vegetables, spices and salt. Whatever is on hand is usually good. Normally, I add salt, pepper, sliced mushrooms, red bell pepper, and cubed eggplant. You can put whatever spices you like, and whatever vegetables you like. (for spices, I like yellow curry powder, or basil, or parsley, paprika, red pepper, chili powder, onion powder. Basil is especially good if there's eggplant in there)

If you know how to make nutritional yeast sauce, you can add that when it's out of the pan and stir it around, or you could top it with ketchup.
#5 Old 01-25-2006, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't usually like so many veggies in mine, mainly I do it just like I'd do scrambled eggs...

OK, if you like veggies (sometimes I'll add mushrooms and bell peppers or zucchini and onions) sautee them just slightly in a non-stick pan and then add tofu...

1 block FIRM tofu (not the silken kind, unless you like the more 'custard-y' texture of soft scrambled eggs).

Crumble (or I use a potato masher) into non-stick frying pan which has a little oil in it (and the veggies if you want those).

Cook on med.-high stirring and turning every few minutes, not too often or it just crumbles up more - until it starts to brown - and then season to taste (here's where personal taste will have to kick in) with the following:

Salt, pepper, India Black Salt (This is optional but REALLY kicks up the flavor and makes it taste a tiny bit "eggy" and a LOT less like "tofu") and turmeric (mainly for color).

I always add a shake or two of "fake-chicken" powdered bullion - it really enhances the flavor and my kids much prefer this addition, I don't know why, but it's VERY good in Scrambled Tofu....

I usually add a pinch of cayenne too.

Continue to cook, turning and stirring every few minutes until tofu is more browned and seasonings are blended in.

Sprinkle generously with nutritional yeast, gently stir in and cook a moment or two longer.

Serve with home fries, hashbrowns or whatever breakfast item you like...

Sounds complicated, but once you've done it a few times it's the easiest and quickest brekfast ever. My 12-year-old gets up and makes this for us for breakfast many mornings...
#6 Old 01-25-2006, 01:26 AM
Beginner

Thanks folks. keep them coming..
#7 Old 01-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Banned

Here is the recipe that I use T4W

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/98401.html

It is really good. I never add the black salt but you can if you want it to be "eggy".... I never like the eggy taste of eggs though

I don't add the cheese to the scramble and I cook the sausage seperately

I serve it on english muffins with mayo and a cheese slice, I just had one.
#8 Old 01-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never had a tofu scramble, but I'm definitely going to make one now! Great ideas!
#9 Old 01-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I mash some tofu and put it in a pan with olive oil. Add some turmeric (to make it yellow), pepper, chili powder, nut. yeast and garlic.

After a minute or so add the veggies such as: onions, broccoli, sundried tomatoes, tomatoes, beans, more garlic, maybe some cubed potato/sweet potato, spinach, carrot, red and green pepper, zucchini, cauliflower, snap peas, etc, etc.

Add more seasonings to your taste (and salsa!) and cook to your liking. Top with salsa.

Here's a picture:

https://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/...p?i=6227&c=506
#10 Old 01-26-2006, 02:43 AM

MMMMMMMMM... I've never actually cooked with tofu yet, but these scramble recipes have me scrambling to add tofu to this week's shopping list.
#11 Old 01-26-2006, 02:54 AM
Beginner

I might have to make that on Friday morning after I get off work now that everyone is talking about so much. I'm craving it now lol.
#12 Old 01-26-2006, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I don't usually like so many veggies in mine, mainly I do it just like I'd do scrambled eggs...

OK, if you like veggies (sometimes I'll add mushrooms and bell peppers or zucchini and onions) sautee them just slightly in a non-stick pan and then add tofu...

1 block FIRM tofu (not the silken kind, unless you like the more 'custard-y' texture of soft scrambled eggs).

Crumble (or I use a potato masher) into non-stick frying pan which has a little oil in it (and the veggies if you want those).

Cook on med.-high stirring and turning every few minutes, not too often or it just crumbles up more - until it starts to brown - and then season to taste (here's where personal taste will have to kick in) with the following:

Salt, pepper, India Black Salt (This is optional but REALLY kicks up the flavor and makes it taste a tiny bit "eggy" and a LOT less like "tofu") and turmeric (mainly for color).

I always add a shake or two of "fake-chicken" powdered bullion - it really enhances the flavor and my kids much prefer this addition, I don't know why, but it's VERY good in Scrambled Tofu....

I usually add a pinch of cayenne too.

Continue to cook, turning and stirring every few minutes until tofu is more browned and seasonings are blended in.

Sprinkle generously with nutritional yeast, gently stir in and cook a moment or two longer.

Serve with home fries, hashbrowns or whatever breakfast item you like...

Sounds complicated, but once you've done it a few times it's the easiest and quickest brekfast ever. My 12-year-old gets up and makes this for us for breakfast many mornings...

My recipe is almost exactly the same. I do the broth powder too. My only difference is that I do a lot of veggies.
#13 Old 01-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.vegan-food.net/index.cgi?268

That's the recipe I use, but it comes out like scrambled eggs when I make it

I let it brown on both sides and when it's almost done, I add about 1/2 cup chopped tomato. I serve it with lightly buttered (Earth Balance) grits. They really goes well together.

I use 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, one added and one in the pan.

Also, I mix everything except the tomato in my food processor.

Cook about 3 or 4 min after adding the tomato.

Very easy & very good.

I tried adding other veggies at first, but I like it best with just tomato.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page