I wish Food TV had a veggie program - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 01-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Newbie
 
stargirl23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 96
I love to cook and get ideas from cooking shows and I know that we can use substitutes for the meats but I really dont like meat analogues and I'd love to see some real veggie cooking Its cool that once in a while Rachel Ray or the Italian show will have a vegetarian show but how often does that happen



I was hoping when they had a contest for a new show a vegetarian would win
stargirl23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 01-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vggiegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,929
PBS has Christina Cooks http://christinacooks.com/

It would be nice if Food Network would get with it, but I suggest checking your local PBS stations for different programs
vggiegirl is offline  
#3 Old 01-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
stellar26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,024
Me too!

My boyfriend and I are obsessed with the food network (like, it's all we watch) and he's always saying that I should start a vegetarian cooking show.

He might be biased, though.
stellar26 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 01-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
DelicGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,155
Me too! My mom watched The Food Network all of the time and I asked her if there were veggie cooking shows and she said no. Maybe we should write and complain? haha

Although Emeril has a bunch of veggie recipes on his website.
DelicGrape is offline  
#5 Old 01-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
stellar26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelicGrape View Post


Although Emeril has a bunch of veggie recipes on his website.



He might... but he sure is the king of pork on his show! He and Paula Dean should be friends. Neither show is very veg friendly.
stellar26 is offline  
#6 Old 01-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
About Rachael Ray:



From an interview in today's Los Angeles Times:



Quote:
Santa Barbara-bound



On Saturday I'd drive north and stop at the Cold Spring Tavern in Santa Barbara for breakfast. When I first went there, I met the owner, who was about 100 then, and she was absolutely funny and smart and wore big, tall boots and canvas pants. Kind of like John Wayne in a woman's body. There's old wood furniture and a crackling, wood-burning stove. They serve flapjacks and gigantic slabs of bacon and ham and huge glasses of juice.



Ewwwww!



http://www.calendarlive.com/printedi...oll=cl-weekend

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#7 Old 01-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Newbie
 
CaliGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 82
There was a petition a couple months back to start a veggie program on the Food Network... I posted it on VB somewhere... i think in the activism section or something like that... don't know if it's still going on... but it needed some ridiculous number of signatures... don't know how far it's actually gotten...



.... okay I went and found it...



Here's the thread: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...twork+petition



And here's the actual link for the petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takea...ltl=1129834566



But um yeah looks like it hasn't actually gotten that far, though of course I'm sure there's tons of people out there that would love a show like that but just don't know about the petition...
CaliGal is offline  
#8 Old 01-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Newbie
 
stargirl23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 96
Thanks vggiegirl! I will certainly check that out! It does suck bc my bf and I love the Iron Chef America show...as if its not bad enough to watch a lamb theme or whatever...recently they had a fish theme where the fish were still alive and they had to show them kill them



I actually saw a short cooking show "on demand" that had stir fries made with pork and then with tempeh. All of the veggies, spices, etc were the same but the chef was so careful about using different pans, cutting boards, knives, etc to make the 2 stir fries. I thought it was cool
stargirl23 is offline  
#9 Old 01-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rainbow_clouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,579
I don't get cable, so I don't get FoodTV however, I do like to watch "Unwrapped" and once in a while "Good Eats" when I'm at my parent's house (they are fans). They showed tofurkey on the Thanksgiving episode of Unwrapped and showed how it was made.
rainbow_clouds is offline  
#10 Old 01-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Lelena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl23 View Post

Thanks vggiegirl! I will certainly check that out! It does suck bc my bf and I love the Iron Chef America show...as if its not bad enough to watch a lamb theme or whatever...recently they had a fish theme where the fish were still alive and they had to show them kill them



I actually saw a short cooking show "on demand" that had stir fries made with pork and then with tempeh. All of the veggies, spices, etc were the same but the chef was so careful about using different pans, cutting boards, knives, etc to make the 2 stir fries. I thought it was cool





I saw that one too! I really liked how the chef made a point that veg*ns don't want meaty utensils used with our food and that it is a way of life not just food choices.
Lelena is offline  
#11 Old 01-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
karenlovessnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 12,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGal View Post

There was a petition a couple months back to start a veggie program on the Food Network... I posted it on VB somewhere... i think in the activism section or something like that... don't know if it's still going on... but it needed some ridiculous number of signatures... don't know how far it's actually gotten...



.... okay I went and found it...



Here's the thread: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...twork+petition



And here's the actual link for the petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takea...ltl=1129834566



But um yeah looks like it hasn't actually gotten that far, though of course I'm sure there's tons of people out there that would love a show like that but just don't know about the petition...



I just signed the petition! I used to love the food channel and watched 24/7 when I was home on weekends. Now I never turn it on.
karenlovessnow is offline  
#12 Old 01-26-2006, 07:27 AM
Min
Veggie Regular
 
Min's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 299
Ive been hoping for a vegetarian show for a long time. Maybe ill shoot them an email.
Min is offline  
#13 Old 02-01-2006, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular
 
DelicGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar26 View Post

He might... but he sure is the king of pork on his show! He and Paula Dean should be friends. Neither show is very veg friendly.



Ohhh Paula Dean drives me crazy! My mom just LOVES her, and when my mom catches it she'll call me in and say "you're favorite show is on!"



I hate how instead of just saying bacon, she'll be like "and Im going to put these little piggies in."
DelicGrape is offline  
#14 Old 02-08-2006, 03:59 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Hey, be nice to Paula. I love her. She's the only cook I've ever watched who has managed to include at least 1 stick of butter in every single recipe. Although it would be funny to watch her cook veg*n, she'd probably faint. Hell, at the end of her "Healthier Food" episode, she asked her son's if they wanted to go get some fried chicken. I thought it was hilarious. But I would like to see a veg*n cooking show on Food Network. I was addicted to FoodTV in college and a seeing a veg*n show might even help grocery stores carry a wider variety of veg*n friendly foods.

~Wonder
GhostUser is offline  
#15 Old 02-08-2006, 05:47 AM
Veggie Regular
 
DelicGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbwonder View Post

Hey, be nice to Paula. I love her. She's the only cook I've ever watched who has managed to include at least 1 stick of butter in every single recipe. Although it would be funny to watch her cook veg*n, she'd probably faint. Hell, at the end of her "Healthier Food" episode, she asked her son's if they wanted to go get some fried chicken. I thought it was hilarious. But I would like to see a veg*n cooking show on Food Network. I was addicted to FoodTV in college and a seeing a veg*n show might even help grocery stores carry a wider variety of veg*n friendly foods.

~Wonder





Haha, I didn't know she even had a "healther food" episode, I guess what bugs me is WHO EATS LIKE THAT????!

I agree completely, a veg*n show on Food Network would probably help grocery stores carry a wider variet of veg*n foods that would actually sell
DelicGrape is offline  
#16 Old 02-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelicGrape View Post

Haha, I didn't know she even had a "healther food" episode, I guess what bugs me is WHO EATS LIKE THAT????!

I agree completely, a veg*n show on Food Network would probably help grocery stores carry a wider variet of veg*n foods that would actually sell

You apparently didn't grow up in a Polish household. Everything is just soaking in butter. If I weren't such a picky eater I'd probably be twice as fat as I am now. Although some kopitka sound really good right about now

~Wonder
GhostUser is offline  
#17 Old 02-08-2006, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular
 
DelicGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbwonder View Post

You apparently didn't grow up in a Polish household. Everything is just soaking in butter. If I weren't such a picky eater I'd probably be twice as fat as I am now. Although some kopitka sound really good right about now

~Wonder





Nope, although according to my mom my step great grandmother "ate a stick of butter a day" and she was very healthy and thin.
DelicGrape is offline  
#18 Old 02-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Newbie
 
Panga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7
Rachel Ray is the one who makes me nuts. What she calls healthy-gah! I watch for the techniques, and mentally substitute as she goes along, but often it's hard to watch her cook.
Panga is offline  
#19 Old 02-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular
 
DelicGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panga View Post

Rachel Ray is the one who makes me nuts. What she calls healthy-gah! I watch for the techniques, and mentally substitute as she goes along, but often it's hard to watch her cook.



She's very "antsy" or something, I know it's suppose to be 30 minute meals but who runs around the kitchen like that? And who has everything laid out ahead of time for them?

Anyway, she's ok, I don't really care for her recipes though.
DelicGrape is offline  
#20 Old 02-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Newbie
 
stargirl23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelicGrape View Post

I guess what bugs me is WHO EATS LIKE THAT????!



Thats exactly what I thought the few times I've seen her show! I'm a Yankee and just really cannot fathom eating foods like that on a daily basis. Its all so heavy and full of super unhealthy canned and preserved products. I guess Southern culture is very different but I seriously get sick about some of the foods she cooks. She once made a bread pudding with Krispy Kremes
stargirl23 is offline  
#21 Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular
 
DelicGrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl23 View Post

Thats exactly what I thought the few times I've seen her show! I'm a Yankee and just really cannot fathom eating foods like that on a daily basis. Its all so heavy and full of super unhealthy canned and preserved products. I guess Southern culture is very different but I seriously get sick about some of the foods she cooks. She once made a bread pudding with Krispy Kremes





Fried twinkies anyone?
DelicGrape is offline  
#22 Old 02-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelicGrape View Post

Fried twinkies anyone?







http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/dee...twinkies.shtml




*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off