I wish Food TV had a veggie program - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2006, 12:21 PM

I love to cook and get ideas from cooking shows and I know that we can use substitutes for the meats but I really dont like meat analogues and I'd love to see some real veggie cooking Its cool that once in a while Rachel Ray or the Italian show will have a vegetarian show but how often does that happen

I was hoping when they had a contest for a new show a vegetarian would win
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

PBS has Christina Cooks http://christinacooks.com/

It would be nice if Food Network would get with it, but I suggest checking your local PBS stations for different programs
#3 Old 01-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Me too!

My boyfriend and I are obsessed with the food network (like, it's all we watch) and he's always saying that I should start a vegetarian cooking show.

He might be biased, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Me too! My mom watched The Food Network all of the time and I asked her if there were veggie cooking shows and she said no. Maybe we should write and complain? haha

Although Emeril has a bunch of veggie recipes on his website.
#5 Old 01-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelicGrape View Post

Although Emeril has a bunch of veggie recipes on his website.

He might... but he sure is the king of pork on his show! He and Paula Dean should be friends. Neither show is very veg friendly.
#6 Old 01-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

About Rachael Ray:

From an interview in today's Los Angeles Times:

Quote:
Santa Barbara-bound

On Saturday I'd drive north and stop at the Cold Spring Tavern in Santa Barbara for breakfast. When I first went there, I met the owner, who was about 100 then, and she was absolutely funny and smart and wore big, tall boots and canvas pants. Kind of like John Wayne in a woman's body. There's old wood furniture and a crackling, wood-burning stove. They serve flapjacks and gigantic slabs of bacon and ham and huge glasses of juice.

Ewwwww!

http://www.calendarlive.com/printedi...oll=cl-weekend

*this space not for sale*
#7 Old 01-19-2006, 02:12 PM

There was a petition a couple months back to start a veggie program on the Food Network... I posted it on VB somewhere... i think in the activism section or something like that... don't know if it's still going on... but it needed some ridiculous number of signatures... don't know how far it's actually gotten...

.... okay I went and found it...

Here's the thread: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...twork+petition

And here's the actual link for the petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takea...ltl=1129834566

But um yeah looks like it hasn't actually gotten that far, though of course I'm sure there's tons of people out there that would love a show like that but just don't know about the petition...
#8 Old 01-19-2006, 02:43 PM

Thanks vggiegirl! I will certainly check that out! It does suck bc my bf and I love the Iron Chef America show...as if its not bad enough to watch a lamb theme or whatever...recently they had a fish theme where the fish were still alive and they had to show them kill them

I actually saw a short cooking show "on demand" that had stir fries made with pork and then with tempeh. All of the veggies, spices, etc were the same but the chef was so careful about using different pans, cutting boards, knives, etc to make the 2 stir fries. I thought it was cool
#9 Old 01-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't get cable, so I don't get FoodTV however, I do like to watch "Unwrapped" and once in a while "Good Eats" when I'm at my parent's house (they are fans). They showed tofurkey on the Thanksgiving episode of Unwrapped and showed how it was made.
#10 Old 01-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl23 View Post

Thanks vggiegirl! I will certainly check that out! It does suck bc my bf and I love the Iron Chef America show...as if its not bad enough to watch a lamb theme or whatever...recently they had a fish theme where the fish were still alive and they had to show them kill them

I actually saw a short cooking show "on demand" that had stir fries made with pork and then with tempeh. All of the veggies, spices, etc were the same but the chef was so careful about using different pans, cutting boards, knives, etc to make the 2 stir fries. I thought it was cool

I saw that one too! I really liked how the chef made a point that veg*ns don't want meaty utensils used with our food and that it is a way of life not just food choices.
#11 Old 01-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGal View Post

There was a petition a couple months back to start a veggie program on the Food Network... I posted it on VB somewhere... i think in the activism section or something like that... don't know if it's still going on... but it needed some ridiculous number of signatures... don't know how far it's actually gotten...

.... okay I went and found it...

Here's the thread: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...twork+petition

And here's the actual link for the petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takea...ltl=1129834566

But um yeah looks like it hasn't actually gotten that far, though of course I'm sure there's tons of people out there that would love a show like that but just don't know about the petition...

I just signed the petition! I used to love the food channel and watched 24/7 when I was home on weekends. Now I never turn it on.
#12 Old 01-26-2006, 07:27 AM
Min
Veggie Regular

Ive been hoping for a vegetarian show for a long time. Maybe ill shoot them an email.
#13 Old 02-01-2006, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar26 View Post

He might... but he sure is the king of pork on his show! He and Paula Dean should be friends. Neither show is very veg friendly.

Ohhh Paula Dean drives me crazy! My mom just LOVES her, and when my mom catches it she'll call me in and say "you're favorite show is on!"

I hate how instead of just saying bacon, she'll be like "and Im going to put these little piggies in."
#14 Old 02-08-2006, 03:59 AM

Hey, be nice to Paula. I love her. She's the only cook I've ever watched who has managed to include at least 1 stick of butter in every single recipe. Although it would be funny to watch her cook veg*n, she'd probably faint. Hell, at the end of her "Healthier Food" episode, she asked her son's if they wanted to go get some fried chicken. I thought it was hilarious. But I would like to see a veg*n cooking show on Food Network. I was addicted to FoodTV in college and a seeing a veg*n show might even help grocery stores carry a wider variety of veg*n friendly foods.

~Wonder
#15 Old 02-08-2006, 05:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbwonder View Post

Hey, be nice to Paula. I love her. She's the only cook I've ever watched who has managed to include at least 1 stick of butter in every single recipe. Although it would be funny to watch her cook veg*n, she'd probably faint. Hell, at the end of her "Healthier Food" episode, she asked her son's if they wanted to go get some fried chicken. I thought it was hilarious. But I would like to see a veg*n cooking show on Food Network. I was addicted to FoodTV in college and a seeing a veg*n show might even help grocery stores carry a wider variety of veg*n friendly foods.

~Wonder

Haha, I didn't know she even had a "healther food" episode, I guess what bugs me is WHO EATS LIKE THAT????!

I agree completely, a veg*n show on Food Network would probably help grocery stores carry a wider variet of veg*n foods that would actually sell
#16 Old 02-08-2006, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Haha, I didn't know she even had a "healther food" episode, I guess what bugs me is WHO EATS LIKE THAT????!

I agree completely, a veg*n show on Food Network would probably help grocery stores carry a wider variet of veg*n foods that would actually sell

You apparently didn't grow up in a Polish household. Everything is just soaking in butter. If I weren't such a picky eater I'd probably be twice as fat as I am now. Although some kopitka sound really good right about now

~Wonder
#17 Old 02-08-2006, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbwonder View Post

You apparently didn't grow up in a Polish household. Everything is just soaking in butter. If I weren't such a picky eater I'd probably be twice as fat as I am now. Although some kopitka sound really good right about now

~Wonder

Nope, although according to my mom my step great grandmother "ate a stick of butter a day" and she was very healthy and thin.
#18 Old 02-08-2006, 08:21 AM

Rachel Ray is the one who makes me nuts. What she calls healthy-gah! I watch for the techniques, and mentally substitute as she goes along, but often it's hard to watch her cook.
#19 Old 02-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panga View Post

Rachel Ray is the one who makes me nuts. What she calls healthy-gah! I watch for the techniques, and mentally substitute as she goes along, but often it's hard to watch her cook.

She's very "antsy" or something, I know it's suppose to be 30 minute meals but who runs around the kitchen like that? And who has everything laid out ahead of time for them?

Anyway, she's ok, I don't really care for her recipes though.
#20 Old 02-08-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I guess what bugs me is WHO EATS LIKE THAT????!

Thats exactly what I thought the few times I've seen her show! I'm a Yankee and just really cannot fathom eating foods like that on a daily basis. Its all so heavy and full of super unhealthy canned and preserved products. I guess Southern culture is very different but I seriously get sick about some of the foods she cooks. She once made a bread pudding with Krispy Kremes
#21 Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl23 View Post

Thats exactly what I thought the few times I've seen her show! I'm a Yankee and just really cannot fathom eating foods like that on a daily basis. Its all so heavy and full of super unhealthy canned and preserved products. I guess Southern culture is very different but I seriously get sick about some of the foods she cooks. She once made a bread pudding with Krispy Kremes

Fried twinkies anyone?
#22 Old 02-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Fried twinkies anyone?

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/dee...twinkies.shtml

*this space not for sale*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page