What is this soup missing?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Tonight I made split-pea and sweet potato soup from an old issue of VT. It's just split peas, sweet potatoes, shallots, water, tarragon, and miso (and salt/pepper to taste). It's not bad, but I feel like it's missing something. I want to say it needs a grain or something but the split peas are so starchy that seems excessive. It is very thick because of all the split peas. Maybe its just boring cause its the same two things in every bite? I have a vat of the stuff now so I'm gonna have to find a way to eat it... any suggestions to improve upon my soup? Alternately, anyone want to come over for split-pea and sweet potato soup for dinner? It's Vegan!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I like to add a little hit of curry powder to my split pea, also making it garden split pea can improve it, add some corn, carrots, spinach, etc. so its not just green goo.
#3 Old 01-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Beginner

When I think of split pea soup, I think of ham chunks suspended in it.

Ham has a lot of salt. Maybe you just need to add more salt to it. That is, a lot more.

Even if you can't make it edible (or rather, enjoyable) don't feel too guilty if you throw it out, the entire vat must have only cost pennies to make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I would add some cumin, and possibly some salt, depending on how salty it is. And a slight dash of cayenne pepper.
#5 Old 01-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a fan of curry... Maybe I'll try some of the other spices though. (By the bowl, not the vat)

And no... It didn't cost too much to make. $.50 in split peas, $.25 in tarragon, $.50 in sweet potatoes, and about $1/ea miso and shallots. I guess I can't feel too guilty about $3.25!! I wonder if using a different miso would make a difference too... or I could add more miso and see how that goes...

#6 Old 01-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

A little vinegar (I'm a fan of red wine vinegar) might boost the flavor.
#7 Old 01-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I've also heard vinegar often provides that little lift when you feel something is missing (in fact, my own mother told me that).

The first thought that leaps to my mind is liquid smoke to replace the flavor that ham would provide in a traditional split pea soup, but I'm not too sure how that would jibe with sweet potato.
#8 Old 01-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I would add no-chicken broth. I love the stuff. Then after you thin it out a bit, you could cook it some more with carrot slices and maybe an onion or two. Isn't that what makes up the classic garden split pea soup that you were looking for?

I've been thinking about making some....maybe adding fake ham. Anyone ever tried that?
#9 Old 01-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I always add barley to give split pea soup some "texture."
#10 Old 01-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I love barley in split pea soup too. Other than that, I'd probably add some heat (cayenne, chili oil, Tabasco, etc).
#11 Old 01-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually Tess, liquid smoke adds a nice flavor to sweet potato based soups... I would think it would be good in this particular recipe, too - I use it a lot in bean-based soups.

A pinch of cayenne or a splash of Tabasco (which also has that vinegar "zing") might help, or chop some onions (or slice up some leeks) and 'caramelize' them in a frying pan with some EB and add to the soup...mmmmm.. yeah, that'd be good!

Finely minced fresh herbs - whatever your store sells, parsley, mint, tarragon would be good...
#12 Old 01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Veggie Regular

you might try some curry or cayenne. also, although you have shallots, i love some garlic in split pea. but maybe thats just me
#13 Old 01-18-2006, 01:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd go with a GIANT handful of sauteed onions, and some salt. You can't have too much onion in a soup.
#14 Old 01-18-2006, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningCalm View Post

I always add barley to give split pea soup some "texture."

i do, too. i also use liquid smoke, cumin, red pepper, coriander, onions, and carrot.
#15 Old 01-18-2006, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerks View Post

I'd go with a GIANT handful of sauteed onions, and some salt. You can't have too much onion in a soup.

... except when onions make you very sick to your stomach

#16 Old 01-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Split peas really aren't that starchy, at least to my taste. I'd add some brown rice.
#17 Old 01-18-2006, 07:49 AM

My Split Pea soup recipe is:

1 small onion

1 carrot

1 rib of celery

3 cloves garlic

1 t thyme

1 bay leaf

s & p

1 bag split peas

7 c water or veggie stock

I cook the veggies (chopped small) in some olive oil until soft and add the split peas and water. Simmer for about an hour. I have a stick blender that I use to make the soup smooth. I love this recipe. A sweet potato thrown in wouldnt hurt either. Sometimes I add curry powder, but this is my old stand by
#18 Old 01-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I've made that exact recipe and thought is was great. The miso adds the saltiness that others have suggested.

If you want more texture, you can try some pearled barley.

If you want more salty, try some of those fake bacon bits.
#19 Old 01-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a fan of smoke flavor.

I was also going to suggest onion, but it sounds like you're not a fan. Also, whenever a recipe calls for water, I always use veggie broth. It adds a tremendous amount of flavor.
#20 Old 01-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Agreed sunny, in addition to tasting gross smoke flavor gives me horrible head aches, yuck yuck yuck.
#21 Old 01-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the point of that recipe was to make something quick and simple (I think it was in the 5 ingredients section.

If you want something more complex, there're probablt millions of split pea soup recipes out there.
#22 Old 01-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganinohio View Post

If you want more salty, try some of those fake bacon bits.

Maybe it's the brand I use, but I would be careful with the fake bacon--the one time I tried them in soup they swelled up and were soggy, flaverless and gross.
#23 Old 01-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I get mine from the bulk bins, so I don't know what kind they are, but I like em.

Hardly ever use them, though.
#24 Old 01-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganinohio View Post

I think the point of that recipe was to make something quick and simple (I think it was in the 5 ingredients section.

If you want something more complex, there're probablt millions of split pea soup recipes out there.

I wasn't necessarily looking for something more complex. I know there are plenty of other soup recipes that are available in the world, but at the moment, I have a vat of this soup in my fridge.

I added some cumin tonight and a lot more salt and I liked it more. Maybe also cause it sat overnight, which helps to meld the flavour.

#25 Old 01-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

That's true, pretty much every soup improves after 24 hours in the fridge. One of the great beauties of soup.
#26 Old 01-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

barley in the soup helps, so does adding garlic
#27 Old 01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

The first thought that leaps to my mind is liquid smoke to replace the flavor that ham would provide in a traditional split pea soup

I can vouch for that! I always add a little bit of liquid smoke to my split pea soup. It makes it taste very authentic (while remaining entirely vegan).

I'll post my own recipe now- just for the hell of it.

2 1/2 cups split peas (I usually use some yellow and some green)

1/2 tsp-2 tsp liquid smoke (I usually add the lesser amount)

1 diced carrot

1 diced celery stalk

1/2 diced onion

8 cups vegetable stock

1 bay leaf

lots of freshly ground black pepper

a dash of bragg's liquid aminos

1/2-3/4 cup frozen peas

I throw everything EXCEPT the frozen peas into a crock pot on high for a 3 hours and then turn it to low where I leave it until the peas are soft and mushy (usually another 3 or 4 hours). I add the frozen peas about a half hour before serving to give the soup some texture. Don't forget to remove the bay leaf!
#28 Old 01-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I added some cumin tonight and a lot more salt and I liked it more. Maybe also cause it sat overnight, which helps to meld the flavour.

Mmmm. Did it turn into solid green gloop?
#29 Old 01-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Alternately, anyone want to come over for split-pea and sweet potato soup for dinner? It's Vegan!

If I was still near Albany, I'd totally come over for some soup.
#30 Old 01-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I wasn't necessarily looking for something more complex. I know there are plenty of other soup recipes that are available in the world, but at the moment, I have a vat of this soup in my fridge.

Soups are always better the next day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page