is Propylene Glycol vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

i dotn know what it is. is it ok for me to eat it???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-22-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird2twiggy View Post

i dotn know what it is. is it ok for me to eat it???

What is it?

Propylene glycol is a derivative of natural gas. It is commonly used in a variety of consumer products and food products, including deodorants, pharmaceuticals, moisturizing lotions, and fat-free ice cream and sour cream products.

What does it do?

Propylene glycol helps form the base for our deodorants. Sodium stearate (soap) is the ingredient that causes these products to gel or take on a form that is more viscous or solid. Once suspended in a gel, the other ingredients in these products can be properly applied in the manner consumers expect.

Find the rest at: http://www.tomsofmaine.com/toms/ifs/...ene_glycol.asp
#3 Old 12-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Why would you *want* to eat it?

Propylene glycol is a non-food.

Personally, I won't even use deodorant with p.g. in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-23-2005, 03:51 PM

actually it is used in some foods. I have no idea why anyone would want to eat it either.
#5 Old 12-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

In a word : NO

It is chemical-based boiled animal fat, and a carciginian, or whatever.
#6 Old 12-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Proplyene glycol is not made from an animal! It's a chemical compound.

I think it's very weird that it passed the tests for food safety.

It's used in anti-freeze liquid for cars, and brake fluid.

It's sometimes found in food. If you don't want to eat it, avoid the additive called "E1520".
#7 Old 12-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/criteria.php

POSSIBLE ANIMAL DERIVED

E477 - propylene glycol esters of fatty acids; propane-1,2-diol esters of fatty acids
#8 Old 12-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

i usually dont eat things that arent organic........

i was having a bad day.. but no one wnats to hear about that.

and im the only vegan in my family, and there was absolutely nothing vegan in the house except for these potato sticks thingies with that in them. so i went on here to see if i could eat it.... casue i was really hungry.
#9 Old 02-14-2018, 04:06 AM

Propylene glycol can be either vegan or animal-sourced.

Hi weird2twiggy. I'm weird2 because I'm a pescatarian leaning towards veganism. I'm also the only one in my family, and yes, I am weird! I feel for you, as I am also on this journey to learn about what's hiding in our food, as well as what's hiding in the pharmaceuticals and vitamin supplements some of us take. Unfortunately, Diana (vegan police officer) is wrong - it is made from EITHER animal OR non-animal sources, and futhermore, EVERYTHING is a chemical or a combination of chemicals! But she is right about E1520 - avoid that, as it is how the European Union names propylene glycol when added to foods. So far, and BY FAR, the best and most comprehensive source I've found- to determine if an ingredient is derived from an animal or plant (OR EITHER) source is: Vegan Peace (online) Go to their webste and you will find an extensive list of food ingredients in alphabitical order and color-coded text for conveinience: RED = Animal ingredient, GREEN = Vegan ingredient (synthetic, vegetable or plant/mineral-derived) & PURPLE = Ingredient exists in both animal and vegan versions. The author, Wanda Embar, invites readers to contact her (both at the top and bottom of her list). As you know, sorting out what to avoid eating is not an easy task, but is well worth the diligence to seek the truth for both our physical and mental health. E.g., one would think that sugar is vegan, which beet sugar is, but cane sugar is bleached by filtering it thru bone char. With sugar as an ingredient in most processed foods, and usually no designation as to whether it is cane or beet sugar... do we avoid eating these processed foods? I'm still reseaching this one and advise you and other concerned consumers to do the same. I strongly suggest that you do not always trust what food manufacturers will tell you, as most of them do their best to HIDE ingredients that will gross most people out, and they will lie thru their teeth to get your money. They pay off the USDA and FDA with bribes so they don't have to list certain ingredients or disclose what they are made from. E.g., "natural flavors" - can be vegan or animal sourced; carmine must be listed as an ingredient because of some people having an allery to it - in some cases a lethal allergy. In any case, they don't want to disclose the fact that it is a red food coloring made from grinding up small, red, cactus-feeding scale insects. Society has changed its attitude about cigarettes; people like you and I must make our society change its attitude about the food it produces and feeds to us. This goes for the pharmaceutical companies, etc. too. Unfortunately, in this Capitalist Pig society we live in, money (most companies' bottom line) is what is important - not the health/well-being of their customers. Human Life/Lives are not important - MONEY is the GOD most of them worship. Being a vegan, you do need to take a vitamin B12 supplememt which is very important for good health. I have my doctor give me the injections (once a month) - these are vegan-freindy, as it is made by a good bacteria. Bacteria are not animals, nor are they plants - check it out. I don't take the B12 tablets because they contain magnesium stearate (as most tablets do, which make the ingredients stick together and not stick to the manufacturing equipment), which is usually derived from animal fats but can also be from plant sources as well. Good luck to you in seeking the truth and a truly healthy diet! David
#10 Old 02-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Vegan since 1991

The Vegetarian Resource Group has listed this information about propylene glycol:

Also known as: 1,2-propanediol.
Commercial source: synthetic.
Used in: confections, chocolate products, ice cream emulsifiers, shredded coconut, beverages, baked goods, toppings, spices, icings, meat products.
Definition: A common food additive which is often used in the manufacture of many ingredients.
Vegan

Link: http://www.vrg.org/ingredients/#propylene_glycol

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#11 Old 10-23-2019, 10:09 AM

Propylene Glycol (CH₃CHCH₂OH) is a chemical product, so vegan can have this in their diet. It is a viscous and waterlike liquid, with a faintly sweet taste. It is used in e-liquids also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page