What do you know about Persian Food? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi all!

So, for an early b-day dinner my sweetie took me to The Persian Room (a restaurant in AZ). It was sooooo good. The dishes we shared included lots of veggies, rice, hummus, and this bread. The appetizer was really interesting, but yummy. Basically, it was this thin, almost tortilla-like bread that you put butter on and wrap raw onions and basil in it.

Is anyone an expert on vegetarian Persian food? I want to know some more info on the cuisine.

Thanks!

<3 Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm no expert, but there are some good vegetarian (but rarely vegan) dishes in Persian cuisine. The rice is outstanding, and if you get a chance try the crunchy kateh browned-rice cake. Persian restaurants may serve kookoo, a type of omelet that might be filled with herbs or various vegetables. I've had gormeh sabzi (stewed herbs/greens sauce) that was vegetarian, but I think it's more commonly prepared with meat. A lot of things are similar to other Middle Eastern cuisine - herbed yogurt dip, torshi (pickled vegetables), eggplant in various forms, rose-water or cardamom flavored desserts.

Hopefully someone around here will have more info on Persian food!
#3 Old 12-04-2005, 04:23 AM

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian cookbook has about 25 Iranian (modern Persian) recipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks guys!
#5 Old 12-05-2005, 01:54 AM

Feel free to pm me, I'm Iranian :: ::
#6 Old 12-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Erin

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian cookbook has about 25 Iranian (modern Persian) recipes.

I just got this one and the four recipes I tried have been wonderful. My world of eastern cooking can best be described as well used.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page