How to cook non-instant rice? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

we have tons and tons of white rice thats uh, not instant.

I'm making a vegetable soup today and I thought it would be good with rice in it, instead of noodles or something(blegh). But I have no idea how I'm supposed to cook the non-instant stuff, and instant rice in soup just sounds kind of yucky to me because its more..fluffier or whatever.

Do I cook it and then put it in the soup? or do I just put it in there and let it boil with the rest of the veggies?

If I have to cook it before I put it in the soup, uh, how do I do that? without frying it or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I would cook it in veggie broth instead of water according to package directions and then add it to the soup towards the end.
#3 Old 12-03-2005, 08:53 AM
Vegan Police Officer

What is instant rice? (I'm not being facetious here - I honestly have no idea.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-03-2005, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

What is instant rice? (I'm not being facetious here - I honestly have no idea.)

It is rice that has been processed so it cooks faster.
#5 Old 12-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Like minute rice? you just boil it real quick, take it off heat and it fluffs up.

The regular rice I have doesn't have a package, my dad is a truck driver & when they reject food he takes it home to us or gives it to churches/charity organizations in the town he's in. He brought us home a gigantic bag of rice & we put it in jars. It has no directions.
#6 Old 12-03-2005, 09:04 AM

As a general rule, you use 2 cups of liquid and 1 cup of rice and cook on a very low heat till all the liquid is absorbed. Different types of rice sometimes differ a bit but this works for most rice.
#7 Old 12-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks
#8 Old 12-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Vegan Police Officer

PortableKitten has given the correct instructions, but you need to put a lid on the pot or else the water will evaporate too quickly and the rice cannot absorb it. I would say 20 minutes is the average time for most white rices, but check after 12 minutes just in case your rice is of a special kind.
#9 Old 12-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks! That worked good. my soup looks yummy. /drool
#10 Old 12-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

rice cooker
#11 Old 12-04-2005, 03:32 AM

Quote:

PortableKitten has given the correct instructions, but you need to put a lid on the pot or else the water will evaporate too quickly and the rice cannot absorb it. I would say 20 minutes is the average time for most white rices, but check after 12 minutes just in case your rice is of a special kind.

forgotabout the lid! I am so used to cooking it I didn't think of it.
#12 Old 12-04-2005, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Portable kitten is correct, it is also best to start the rice in cool water, bring it up to a boil, and then turn it down to a low simmer. All while covered tightly.
#13 Old 12-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortableKitten View Post

As a general rule, you use 2 cups of liquid and 1 cup of rice and cook on a very low heat till all the liquid is absorbed. Different types of rice sometimes differ a bit but this works for most rice.

You can also add more water, and then not let it al absorb, but throw the rest of the water away. This way, there is less risk of buring the rice, expecially if you're cooking a large quantity. I find that often the bottom burns while the rest isn't done yet.
#14 Old 12-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Vegan Police Officer

inie: Isn't the rice more soggy that way?
#15 Old 12-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

You may want to add just as much rice as you want to eat per bowl of soup if you anticipate leftovers. The rice sucks up the broth like mad and it'll basically solidify whats left!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#16 Old 12-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

inie: Isn't the rice more soggy that way?

I alway carefully throw away all the water, leave the rice in the hot pan, and let it stand for a minute. The water that's left on the rice will evaporate this way, so that they will be perfectly dry

I hate cooking the rice 'dry', because I'll let the rice burn.

But, maybe, this doens't work for all types of rice. You should try
#17 Old 12-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

You may want to add just as much rice as you want to eat per bowl of soup if you anticipate leftovers. The rice sucks up the broth like mad and it'll basically solidify whats left!

With a chinese soup recipy, we cook the rice seperately, and when serving, we add the rice to the soup. This way, the rice won't get soppy in the soup.
#18 Old 12-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I think if you use the two to one ratio you keep the rice from getting soggy. I usually cook with brown rice and that takes 45 minutes. If I remember correctly white rice is done in 15 minutes. Once it boils I turn the heat to low so it simmers. I find that if I have the heat to high it burns.
#19 Old 12-05-2005, 06:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

That happened and my mom ate it that way, I was sleeping when she did it and the thought of that was pretty gag, and she went on about how the rice was sticky (lol) I added more tomato juice and it ended up being really really good. The rice all went ploppy and stuff but it was still mad good.
#20 Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post

I think if you use the two to one ratio you keep the rice from getting soggy. I usually cook with brown rice and that takes 45 minutes. If I remember correctly white rice is done in 15 minutes. Once it boils I turn the heat to low so it simmers. I find that if I have the heat to high it burns.

I do the same and I have not had it burn. I cook it on a very low heat and I keep an eye on it when it is close to being done. I also use brown rice and I wouldn't want to use extra water because I want all the nutrients to be absorbed into my rice not go down the drain, but to each is own. .
#21 Old 12-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortableKitten View Post

Yeah. Keep it covered once it's simmering. And turn off the heat and let it cool and absorb for another 5 minutes before opening it, fluffing it, and adding it to whatever recipe.

...You really shouldn't keep peaking at it as it lets all the steam out and makes it more likely to burn.

Follow the water amounts on the back, and keep in mind that boiling at different altitudes takes slightly different times. The time they give you is most likely for sea level.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page