VeggieBoards banner

TOFU "meatballs" ??

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Tofu-N-Sprouts 
#1 ·
I have a package of tofu (unopened) in my fridge and I want to use it to make tofu meatballs. but I can't seem to find a recipe! everything calls for TVP which I dont have, and can't get before tonight. im making an attempt at getting some nutrients, and im so protein deprived its probably crazy. so... I have garlic, i have breadcrumbs, I have onions and spices....I just dont really know if that'll work. does anyone have a tried-and-true recipe for meatless tofu-balls that will stay together when I serve them with pasta and marinara? (im thinking of adding cannelini beans and asparagus to the pasta....mmmm).

#2 ·
It depends if you're vegan or vegetarian. Eggs would probably hold the mixture together but otherwise, I'm not sure how the tofu would be able to keep its round shape.

Why not just cook the crumbled tofu in some oil to brown it and then add it to the sauce and get your protein that way?

#3 ·
im vegetarian, but i do have egg-replacer powder if that would help...i prefer to eat vegan but dont as much as id like. um. i was thinking of crumbling it, but the idea of making my own meatless meatballs sounds fun, and that way i could share with my mom, who doesnt like tofu, without having to make seperate sauces.

#4 ·
#5 ·
THANK YOU TNS!! I made the PPK recipe, but with sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter since the only peanut butter in the house right now is skippy....ew. THEY ARE SO GOOD. they fell apart a little but by the end i got it down by adding a little more soy sauce and sunflower seed butter. i fried them in the tiniest bit of olive oil and drained them and they're so perfect. mmmmm and they DO go really well with pasta and marinara! (rotini tricolore and tomato basil marinara to be exact) thank you so much! everyone try this recipe, its amazing!

#8 ·
There is a great recipe in either "La dolce Vegan" or "How it all vegan" - the vegan old and new testaments, in case you didn't know
)). A girl at my house used it and they were very delicious. I don't have the exact recipe right now, but I know she also used tahini and peanut butter to make it stick, and (I think) cilantro.. maybe other herbs as well.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

TNS, that PPK is a great site. I've been enjoying looking over their recipes and now I think I am inspired to cook something awesome for din din.
It's definitely one of my favorites, and the site I most often refer "new" vegan or vegetarian friends to...

I have made maybe a dozen recipes from there and every one is a raving success with my kids, my friends (veg and non veg) and with me.

I guess it's actually a TV show on Public Access TV somewhere, not around here though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.