miso - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Beginner

what is the difference between the kinds of miso? like between brown rice(genmai) and soybean and barley(mugi)? are they used for different kinds of dishes? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

These are the different kinds of miso I know of: regular soybean miso, as well as genmai miso (made out of soybeans and brown rice), kome (soybeans and white rice), mugi (soybeans and barley), hatcho (soybeans and sea salt), and natto (made from soybeans and ginger).

All the above kinds I think, can be found in different colors and strength of taste, it depends on how long they're fermented or aged - from white to dark brown. I believe they cal all be used interchangeably, depending on the exact taste you want.

White miso is the lightest in taste and color (obvioiusly).

I like it in soups, salad dressings, and sauces.

Yellow miso is also light in flavor, but it's saltier.

Red miso is strong and salty and (this is quoted from the label) "...is generally used for stews, soups and braised foods". I use this one the most because I like the stronger flavor.

Dark brown miso is the most strong. I don't think I've ever used it.
#3 Old 12-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a question! Is Miso the broth they serve at Japanese restaurants. It usually has scallions in it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

hmmm...i tried miso just once and i used the dark brown--i had no idea what the difference was.

i used it in a recipe i had for a stir-fry type dish.

it is the only thing i have ever made which i actually had to throw away because i just could not eat it. and i make enough food at a time for four or five meals and i am adamently against waste. but no way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page