How much cereal do you eat every morning? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I started thinking about this after seeing those commercials for Special K cereal where they say if you eat 1 serving of cereal with skim milk 2 times a day or something, you will lose however many pounds a week. I always think, oh, maybe I should do that, just for fun, until I remember that 1 serving is, like, 2 bites of some cereals!

Anyway, my question is: How much (serving wise) cereal do you usually eat every morning (or whenever else you eat it)?

I usually eat around 2 cups every morning (slightly more or less, depending) with my Silk Light, and on fitday it never adds up to more than 400 cals, so I'm happy I'm not overdoing it calorie wise, but I guess it doesn't take much for me to feel like a pig, hehe.

So anyway, I was just curious if my habits are normal (yes, I know I'm terrible for using that evil word, lol!)......'nuff rambling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I tend to eat oatmeal, which is 1/2 cup of oats to 1 cup of milk.

I think the only other cereal I really measure is granola cause its reaaally easy to eat 1000 cals in granola!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 11-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

On weekends when I eat cereal, I usually eat like 3 servings (estimated) of cereal, but I don't stree over it since it's usually only Cheerios either dry or with OJ.

When I eat granola, usually I have about 1/2-1/3 of a cup, sometimes more. I love that stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat cereal in the morning, I prefer it at night, but I usually have 1.5 cups with soymilk
#5 Old 11-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

ive started watching my portions so now i have a serving size (whatever the box says is a serving) w/ soy milk --- i used to have about 3x the amount that im eating now! ive always liked cereal
#6 Old 11-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

If I have cereal, it's a rarity (a *rare* rarity ).

Since going veg, I can't seem to find one that I would eat dry anyway (the only way I can stand cold cereal).

I like Bob's Red Mill 10-grain cereal with barely enough water so it's crumbly and a bit of lemon pepper and extra virgin olive oil on it (it's odd, but dang good).
#7 Old 11-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't eat cereal every day, but on days that i do, i will have somewhere between probably about 1.5 cups and 1 box of dry cereal over the course of a day. usually not more than a couple large bowlfuls at one time.
#8 Old 11-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually do about 1.5 cups ... I've been eating some of the Peace brand cereal that I picked up at Whole Foods when in Kansas City (10% of profits gets donated to different organizations that support peace in different ways). I love the berry kind!
#9 Old 11-30-2005, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

My usual cereal is Special K. I normally have a cup of it with a cup of soymilk. I've recently bought some Cocoa Puffs and have been eating about 2.5 servings of those. lol. Something isn't right with that picture.
#10 Old 11-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I've kicked the cereal habit lately, probably due to the fact that I usually have to be in work before I am awake enough to be hungry. But on the occasions when I do eat some ceral, I probably eat 1/2 an average-sized soup/cereal bowl's worth... never really measure it out, just pour until it looks good. However, I'm much better about it now than I used to be.... before, I would fill the whole bowl with cereal, and I mean fill it until there was just barely enough room for soymilk, eat it, and repeat. A box of cereal would last me maybe 3 days. Bleh.. now I can't understand how I could eat so much within a few hours of waking without getting nauseous. I'm proud of my somewhat improved eating habits
#11 Old 11-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Half a box?
#12 Old 11-30-2005, 09:38 PM

1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean without soymilk, just dry.
#13 Old 11-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Interesting replies...

I am always comparing my eating habits to my fiances, and he can eat just over a cup of cheerios with cow milk and not be hungry for hours and hours, while I on the other hand would be starving soon after!! Cereals like plain Special K, Cheerios, and Crispix are like water to me, they go right through me and I'm hungry again really quickly. I either need more cereal to fill me up or cereal with more bulk to it.

I have experience with both ends of the spectrum. I've eaten entire boxes of vanilla almond Special K and Cinnamon Toast Crunch in one sitting before (I was bingeing all the time back then) but when I started watching my portions a couple years ago I'd eat as little as 1 cup of plain Special K and that's it, which is not nearly enough to fill me up these days. Anyway, it's way too easy to continue rambling about my cereal habits, so I shall shut up. hehe.
#14 Old 11-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Banned

2 cups of Oat Squares. (But the brand Trader Joe's carries.)

Minimal amount of soymilk. 1/2 cup.

Or...

1/2 - 1/3 cup oats, with 1 banana, 1/4 cup ground almonds, cinamin, 2 Tbs ground Flaxseed, cinamin. No soymilk.
#15 Old 12-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I generally don't eat in the morning, and when I do it's not cereal. If I do have breakfast (and if I am awake in the morning ) I prefer fruit or juice to cereal. I generally stick to a small glass of OJ and some coffee, though sometimes I will have an apple or an orange in addition.

Cereal makes me feel too full. I do like oatmeal, but I never buy it for some reason.
#16 Old 12-01-2005, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I use a lot. I mean, it needs to be a breackfast, so I need to get full, right? I don't worry about it, my favorite brands don't include sugar. Some that do, I compensate for adding extra yoghurt (don't use milk) to get rid of the sweet taste. I don't use milk much, yoghurt keeps the cereals much more crispy.

Anyway, with oatmeal, I do use a lot of sugar
#17 Old 12-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

2/3, 3/4 of a cup of most cereal, (less if it is particularly dense, like granola), with half a cup of almond milk.
#18 Old 12-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Beginner

I don't have it for breakfast because I'm hungry again half an hour later, I normally eat it last thing at night if I'm hungry before bed and then I just pour a nice bowl of it (a mix of museli and allbran-a high fiber cereal), probably over a cup I think, don't really know though I've never measured!!
#19 Old 12-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Sheesh. All you people are too healthy for my liking!! Ha ha!

What happened to the stereotypical breakfast of Captain Crunch (or some equally sugary cereal) and a glass of OJ??
#20 Old 12-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

3/4-1 cup of bran flakes w/a cup of silk light.. :-D
#21 Old 12-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I have 1 packet of instant Quaker oatmeal every morning, usually (150 to 160 cal. per packet). They're whole-grain and I try the different flavors all the time - my favorite is the banana bread-flavored one, or the heart-healthy blueberry one that I had this morning.

The regular/non-flavored packets are way too bland for me, but I'm thinking of trying the old-fashioned Irish Steel-Cut oats for oatmeal. And maybe I can add fruit and cinnamon for flavor.
#22 Old 12-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Virtue - regular oatmeal gives a much better texture than instant oatmeal My favorite way to have oatmeal is 1/2 cup oats cooked with 1 banana and water or soymilk, and then I add sweetener.... mmm!
#23 Old 12-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, that's what I've been hearing. Its just that the instant packets are so convenient when I only have like 15 min. for breakfast. Still, I'll make a point to pick up the irish steel-cut oats the next time I'm at Whole Foods, or another store.

How long does it take to cook them? (sorry OT)
#24 Old 12-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

If you put regular oatmeal in a bowl, pour on some milk and let it sit in the fridge overnight, you can heat it up in the microwave in the morning and it's just like it was instant (but with better texture).

I don't eat cold cereal anymore (I don't like soymilk w/cold cereal very much, and I don't buy animal milks) but when I did eat it, it was at least 1 cup, probably more like 2--anything less and I'd be hungry.

I suppose that's why cereal is "part" of a complete breakfast (you hear that on commercials all the time)----you really need to add some ww toast, juice, and fruit to ensure you're eating enough to fill you up and give you the right nutrients.
#25 Old 12-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Baby Love

I usually just fill a bowl w/ Kashi Go Lean or Whole Grain Cheerios then pour on the silk light. My bowls aren't big, so I'm guessing its 1-1.5C cereal vs. 1 soy milk.
#26 Old 12-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, i'm guessing about 6 cups or so. You know those little boxes of cereal that come in a variety pack at the store? If I use those, which I never do really, it takes about 8 of them to fill up my 2 bowls that I usually have whenever I eat cereal. I think they are about 3/4 cup a box, so 8 boxes would be 6 cups. I fill it with milk or Silk Enhanced.

All cereals are the same for me. Be it kids, granola or oatmeal.

Cheers.
#27 Old 12-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoshKel View Post

All cereals are the same for me. Be it kids, granola or oatmeal.

did you mean that as in eating children?
#28 Old 12-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Beginner

whatever the serving size says. 3/4c since i opened a box of uncle sam's.
#29 Old 12-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Beginner

when i eat cereal, i eat it for the whole day, 3-5 meals with 1 servings each...mono food thing, ofcourse there would be usually 2-3 different foods i eat per day...for example today i had quacker square cereals, fuyu persimmons (it's in season), and soymilk
#30 Old 12-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

did you mean that as in eating children?

You know it

Yum... baby fat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page