Best Portable Vegan Foods - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm browsing this forum & seeing lotsa great eating ideas, but overall it seems that portable vegan food tends to be fairly processed, like the Amy's burrito *& Lemon Clif bar I had for lunch.

I find fruits, veggies & home-cooked leftovers wind up crushed/spilled after being transported around most of the time (I don't drive a car, so big coolers don't work to protect foods because I can't carry them).

I feel a bit lost. Right now I live on Tofurkey sandwiches, coffee & Clif bars while at work.

What is more healthy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

A thermos is always useful. Hot soups, stews, etc. It can also be used to keep things cold.
#3 Old 11-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you Cinnamon. I think I'll get one. I find the Tupperware-type containers always leak. Are thermoses leak-free?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Depends on the thermos. A reasonably good thermos or food jar should do the job. I'd put it in a plastic bag just in case. My kids use them fairly often in winter and they perform quite well despite being bounced around in their backpacks.
#5 Old 11-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Ankle Biter

I'm a peanut butter and jelly sandwich freak. I take them everywhere. If one gets smashed, or sits in my purse (wrapped, of course!)for too long, I don't feel bad just tossing it to the birds. Bagels and hummus or "Better Than Cream Cheese" are pretty indestructible, too.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 11-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

bagle sandwiches hold up better than regular bread sandwiches, other thing I take on the go:

Apples

Carrots

Granola/trail mix

Nuts

Salads in tupperware (doesn't have anything to leak)

Those frozen soups that come in single serving bags (they're low sodium and similar to what I would make at home)

Hummus w/ crackers, etc.
#7 Old 11-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by organica View Post

Are thermoses leak-free?

I've been researching vacuum food jars lately, and this one looks pretty good:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...goods&n=507846

They claim that it retains hot temperatures up to 5 hours. I might get it for soups, chili, rice, etc.
#8 Old 11-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I very often put my lunch (whether it's a sandwich or nukeable leftovers or whatever) in a flat square tupperware-type container, and then put that inside a freezer bag if I'm particularly worried about leaks. I toss the whole package into my bike messenger bag and go! No crushing, crumbling, smooshing or leaks. I've even taken soup in leftover soup containers from chinese restaurants.

I sometimes put my whole lunch in a stack of those cheap storage containers, like the Glad ones that are designed to be thrown away after a few uses-- man, I never throw those things away! I put sandwich in one, cut-up fruit or veggie in one, chips or crackers in one and then put the stack in my bag. Or you could put it in an insulated lunch bag with a shoulder strap. There might even be room for that thermos in there! Any food is portable if you pack it right.
#9 Old 11-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Banned

I use the Glad storage containers.

I either have frozen soup that doesn't leak or I'm careful enough to not let it spill.

If anybody be touchin my Tofu, I will be puttin the hurt on them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page