#1 Old 10-29-2005, 05:13 AM
Banned

Which do you prefer?

Which do you use most often?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

i use canned almost exclusively. it's just easier. i work a lot and don't have as much time to prepare food as i would like so, there you go.
#3 Old 10-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Same here. And I just don't know how to cook dried beans, as stupid as that sounds, so I've never tried. Except for split peas for soup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I use both, but there isn't a poll option for that. I like dried beans better in most cases, but the preparation is much more time-consuming, so I also use canned beans a lot.
#5 Old 10-29-2005, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I mainly used canned beans, but I use dried lentils.
#6 Old 10-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I would love to cook my own dried beans, but unfortunately I left my pressure cooker at my parents' house and it can be a bother boiling them for 2 hours in a regular pot. So, I use canned ones, and I do appreciate how easy it is!!
#7 Old 10-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

i use canned almost exclusively. it's just easier. i work a lot and don't have as much time to prepare food as i would like so, there you go.

Same here, it's just so much easier. And I know some people buy dry because they're cheaper, but around here they're about the same price I think, so I just get the canned.
#8 Old 10-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Beginner

I'm with inie- I use both but I prefer dried because they are cheaper. I cook mine in a slow cooker (soak overnight and change water and cook during the day when I'm at school). I make a huge batch and then freeze whatever I don't eat. That way I always have beans around. Yumm!
#9 Old 10-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, no poll option for "both".. however I almost always use dried.

(mazikeen - it's nice to see at least ONE other person here who uses a pressure cooker for beans, I swear people think I'm crazy every time I bring it up...)

I cook big pots full and freeze in samller containers for future use.

However, I don't always get many left to freeze - with three hungry kids in the house, we go through a huge pot of beans in no time... I'd definitely go broke trying to buy that many cans of beans!!

Around here, the cans are more expensive - plus I buy my beans in huge 25 Lb. bags and store in bulk bins in my garage... that makes them just pennies per pot-full - a huge savings for me...

My kids do have the occasional can of beans when they want a quick after-school meal or snack...
#10 Old 10-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

I mainly used canned beans, but I use dried lentils.

Same here. There's just no point in buying canned lentils since they need no soaking. As for other beans, I have to say I'm way too lazy to cook my own. I do think dried are better though, especially chickpeas.
#11 Old 10-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently switched to dried, and they just taste SO much better. There's really no comparison. I use canned once in a while now, if I'm at the grocery store and I want something to make as soon as I get home. Maybe twice a month.

I used to think it would be too much work, but soaking them the night before takes three minutes of work MAX, and I just go and do other things while they're cooking on the stove. It's really not much more work at all.
#12 Old 10-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

i can't plan ahead to soak dried beans, so i almost always use canned. also, dried beans give me gas, even cooked with kombu, and canned beans don't.
#13 Old 10-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't plan my meals ahead of time enough to use dried, and I'm just lazy
#14 Old 10-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm another "both," but I use canned somehwat more often than dried. I don't have a pressure cooker, so dried takes a bit more planning. Canned are just so easy to whip out, and it's just two of us at home.
#15 Old 10-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm another "both," but I use canned somewhat more often than dried. I don't have a pressure cooker, so dried takes a bit more planning. Canned are just so easy to whip out, and it's just two of us at home.
#16 Old 10-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Canned. I share a kitchen with a very sloppy, messy omnivore and there's no way I'm leaving beans soaking with him using the kitchen. No telling what would end up in there.
#17 Old 10-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I prefer to use dried, but I stock up on cans when they're on sale so I'll have them. I use beans primarily in slow cooking type soups, so its really no big deal to cook them as part of soup preparation.
#18 Old 10-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I use both. Dried when I prepare and have time and canned for a quick fix.
#19 Old 10-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Banned

Canned beans here, I am the only one here and I really don't have any storage room in the fridge or freezer plus I never plan ahead.
#20 Old 10-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I use both, but find it a lot easer to use canned. It was a sad day when I found my used-to-be favorite spiced canned beans had added chicken fat. Now, I make my own that taste exactly like them without the chicken fat.
#21 Old 10-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

(mazikeen - it's nice to see at least ONE other person here who uses a pressure cooker for beans, I swear people think I'm crazy every time I bring it up..)

Really??? Isn't that what pressure cookers are for? Well, you could ask these people how THEY cook their beans. Probably never have beans, I'd bet.
#22 Old 10-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently started cooking dried beans with a new (to me) slow bake method. I found it in my roommates cook book. It is easier than boiling and doesn't require a pre soak. Now I can actually afford organic beans, since the dried variety cuts cost. My local CO-OP has bulk bins so I go for many at a time and freeze them.
#23 Old 10-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

i can't plan ahead to soak dried beans, so i almost always use canned. also, dried beans give me gas, even cooked with kombu, and canned beans don't.

Have you tried draining the soaking water, and thoroughly rinsing the beans?

The water from the overnight soak is known as the "fart-water". Dispensing of it usually eliminates any problem.
#24 Old 10-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganForHealth View Post

Have you tried draining the soaking water, and thoroughly rinsing the beans?

The water from the overnight soak is known as the "fart-water". Dispensing of it usually eliminates any problem.

i rinse them and never cook them in the soaking water, plus use kombu.
#25 Old 10-30-2005, 01:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

i rinse them and never cook them in the soaking water, plus use kombu.

...You should get a dog, and blame them on the dog.
#26 Old 10-30-2005, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

Really??? Isn't that what pressure cookers are for? Well, you could ask these people how THEY cook their beans. Probably never have beans, I'd bet.

Well, as the results of this thread would indicate - most people obviously aren't using a pressure cooker - as the phrase "don't have time" seems to crop up a lot... I do identify with that time crunch - I usually have 1/2 hour or less to make a complete and nutritious dinner for myself and three very hungry kids... that's why I my pressure cooker...

If I lived alone I would use it less, I am sure - I only have so much room in my freezer, and it makes a LOT of beans...
#27 Old 10-30-2005, 02:35 AM
Banned

I use canned as I'm lazy. Need to organise myself better!
#28 Old 10-30-2005, 02:49 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

I recently switched to dried, and they just taste SO much better. There's really no comparison. I use canned once in a while now, if I'm at the grocery store and I want something to make as soon as I get home. Maybe twice a month.

I used to think it would be too much work, but soaking them the night before takes three minutes of work MAX, and I just go and do other things while they're cooking on the stove. It's really not much more work at all.

I'm with MollyGoat here. The taste is just so much better with dried beans - and I believe that they are far superior in quality too. I am anyway extremely suspicious of anything that comes in a tin.

It's just a question of organisation and I usually make loads and loads and deep-freeze the rest so they're ready when I need them (which reminds me, I need to go and take some out right now if I want them to be unfrozen for my lunch.) I use the pressure cooker to cook them which saves on electricity bills as well as time.

PRESSURE COOKERS ROCK!!!!!
#29 Old 10-30-2005, 05:00 AM

I prefer the taste and texture of dried beans, but I've always used both. Now that I'm a full-time student again, I use mostly dried because they're cheaper and I just keep a couple cans of chickpeas and kidney beans around for emergencies. When I worked full-time, I often didn't have time or didn't want to deal with dried beans, but I have much more unscheduled time now. On a slightly unrelated topic, I have yet to find either form of black beans here (NZ). I'd rather have dried, but I'll take canned at this point!
#30 Old 10-30-2005, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I buy mostly canned, but sometimes dry beans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page