Best vegan ice cream/cheese - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-18-2005, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm looking for the best vegan Ice cream and cheese (duh ^) I heard soy delicious was good...but i'd rather have your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-18-2005, 06:19 AM

Vegan Ice Cream:

I would say that if you want something rich and creamy to go with apple pie or something, try Tofutti vanilla. I haven't tried the chocolate yet. I've tried the strawberry cheesecake flavor, but it wasn't my thing. Don't get me wrong, it definitely wasn't bad, but it just wasn't my favorite flavor.

If you want some variety, and more of a "light" type of taste, go with Soy Delicious. The Double Chocolate flavor is SO good. Turtle Trails flavor wasn't as good as I imagined that it would be.

Also, for something a little different, Rice Dream is REALLY quite good. I think Rice Dream is my fave so far.

Vegan Cheese:

My favorite BY FAR is Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cheese Alternative, Mozzarella Flavor. It is really yummy on pizza, sandwiches, everything that you would normally use it for.

Tofutti brand isn't bad, but if you are concerned about hydrogenated oils, I am not sure that they have the hard cheeses without them yet. They do have "cream cheese" and "sour cream" without them now though, which are great.

Hope that this helps!
#3 Old 10-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Soy Cream is the best vegan ice cream, hands down. Only folks who haven't tried it say different.

Vegan Gourmet is definitely the best vegan cheese. The cheddar flavor makes great grilled cheese sandwiches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Soy Delicious Purely Decadent Mocha Almond Fudge.

'nuff said.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 10-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Soy Delicious Purely Decadent for those Ben & Jerry flashbacks. I adore Tofutti's Vanilla and Vanilla Almond flavours... oo and they're coffee one with the marshmallows! Yum!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 10-18-2005, 05:39 PM

Cherry Nirvana (from Soy Delicious' Purely Decadent line) is a great crutch for Cherry Garcia addicts. They also have this one with brownies and raspberries that is wonderful.

I was swayed for a good while, convinced that Soy Cream (which is excellent) was the best, but then I discovered a hidden Chicago treasure:

http://chicagosoydairy.com/

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 10-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

*hitches a ride to Chicago*

I once had the best soy gelato EVER in a gelato place in Berkeley. Best ice cream I've ever had, vegan or non.
#8 Old 10-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I think Tofutti is pretty good, but it's a little too heavy on the vanilla flavor. It's good with pie and cobbler and stuff, but too strong by itself. Soy Delicious has more of a straight-ahead vanilla flavor. They're both nice and creamy. Soy Delicious chocolate is OK, but the flavor's a little hollow.

I'm bummed that the only flavors of Soy Delicious I see at my store are vanilla, chocolate, and Cookie Avalanche, which is not, as I'd hoped, a chocolate chip cookie dough. It's a cookies and creme. Bleh.

And there are no vegan cheeses where I live. Over and over I've heard people say Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet is the best, but I can't find it... or any other casein-free soy cheese.
#9 Old 10-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

ice cream: soy cream, then soy delicious. tofutti (not the low-fat or non-fat or whatever kind) vanilla fudge and wildberry supreme are good, but not that much like ice cream.

cheese: vegan gourmet, of course
#10 Old 10-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Beginner

yep. everyone loves the vegan gourmet that i can't find anywhere. i just found vegan rella at the store today but it isn't nearly as good as vegan gourmet supposively is.

i love soy delicious. i actually have 3 big cartons of it sitting in the fridge. vanilla, chocolate, the mint marble fudge. yum lol. its taking us forever to eat it all though.
#11 Old 10-18-2005, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

"Ice Cream"

Double Rainbow Soy Cream:

Double Rainbow Soy Cream is awesome! But I'm not sure that you can buy that everywhere. I've tried finding it in Pennsylvania when I'm back home to visit, but it's not available there. However, if you can get your hands on some, I highly recommend the Very Cherry Chocolate Chip, Dulce No Leche, or Coffee Almond Fudge. Soy Cream has a really rich taste. I honestly can't tell the difference between Soy Cream and regular ice cream. http://www.doublerainbow.com/products/index.html

Soy Delicious:

When I can't get Soy Cream, Soy Delicious Purely Decadent is definitely the next in line. I am particulary into Cookie Avalanche right now. It's not quite as rich as Soy Cream, IMO, but it is definitely good. http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/products.html

Tofutti:

I much prefer the Tofutti novelty line to the regular pints. Their "Ice Cream Sandwiches (Tofutti Cuties) and Novelty "Ice Cream" Bars (I really like Monkey Bars) are the best. Of course, I haven't tried their cheesecake pints yet. I love cheesecake. http://www.tofutti.com/ourProducts.asp

Rice Dream:

Rice Dream doesn't taste like ice cream so much as ice milk. It's still very good in it's own right though, particularly when you are looking for something a little lighter than the other stuff. http://www.imaginefoods.com/pages/pr...reamfrozen.php

Tea Dreams:

Has anyone else seen this yet? Apparently, Imagine Foods has merged the wonderful taste of Rice Dream with Celestial Seasonings Tea Flavors. Oh, my goodness. My life may never be the same. http://www.imaginefoods.com/pages/pr.../tea_dream.php

Cheeses

Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet:

That's pretty much the end all and be all of vegan cheeses right now, outside of just making your own. Unlike most vegan cheeses, Vegan Gourmet actually melts. So, you can make your own vegan cheese pizza. It tends to be cost prohibitive though, particularly if you can't find it in your local hfs or Whole Foods. http://www.imearthkind.com/index.html

Soymage Vegan Parmesan:

I use this a lot in recipes that call for parmesan cheese, especially in my Alfredo sauce. It doesn't melt, but it adds a really nice parmesan flavor.

http://www.veganessentials.com/catal...n-parmesan.htm

Tofutti:

Tofutti also has cheese slices. They're not my favorite thing. It seems like they have a bit of an aftertaste to me, but if you're really wanting an American cheese slice to go on your phoney baloney sandwich, these will work. I'm not sure if these melt or not; I haven't had them in a while. Also, they have Better Than Cream Cheese which is wonderful stuff. I make cheesecake with it all the time.
#12 Old 10-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post

Tea Dreams:

Has anyone else seen this yet? Apparently, Imagine Foods has merged the wonderful taste of Rice Dream with Celestial Seasonings Tea Flavors. Oh, my goodness. My life may never be the same. http://www.imaginefoods.com/pages/pr.../tea_dream.php

i tried vanilla hazelnut fudge. it tasted oddly cheesecake-ish. weird, but sort of good in its own way.

Quote:
Soymage Vegan Parmesan:

I use this a lot in recipes that call for parmesan cheese, especially in my Alfredo sauce. It doesn't melt, but it adds a really nice parmesan flavor.

http://www.veganessentials.com/catal...n-parmesan.htm

this may be the best vegan parmesan (i haven't tried any others), but i can't stand the flavor or the smell of it, and it's strong. i can smell it from across the living room when my boyfriend eats it. i guess he kind of likes it, but he doesn't think it tastes like parmesan at all.
#13 Old 10-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

i tried vanilla hazelnut fudge. it tasted oddly cheesecake-ish. weird, but sort of good in its own way.

Ooooooh, cheesecake and tea! I definitely have to try it now. Darn! Speaking of tea I've let mine steep too long. Where did you get yours from, Whole Foods?

Quote:

this may be the best vegan parmesan (i haven't tried any others), but i can't stand the flavor or the smell of it, and it's strong. i can smell it from across the living room when my boyfriend eats it. i guess he kind of likes it, but he doesn't think it tastes like parmesan at all.

I don't think it tastes so much like parmesan by itself. For example, I can't really taste the parmesanness (okay, that's not a word) of it when I sprinkle it on spaghetti, but it tastes parmesany (another made up word) when I mix it in things. I think it has a lot to do with salt content. Real parmesan cheese is very salty, and the vegan stuff by itself is not. I add salt to my alfredo sauce, so that could have a lot to do with it. Also real parmesan has a lot of fat in it. I make my alfredo sauce with coconut milk which is plenty fattening. So the added fat and salt in the recipe combines with the essence of the parmesan taste in the Soymage stuff. That's the only way that I can explain it. What does your boyfriend put his on/in?
#14 Old 10-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ooooooh, cheesecake and tea! I definitely have to try it now. Darn! Speaking of tea I've let mine steep too long. Where did you get yours from, Whole Foods?

yep, whole foods.

Quote:
What does your boyfriend put his on/in?

only pasta with tomato-based sauce, which is also the only way i've tried it. i can't stand the smell of alfredo sauce, either, so i guess i could see it working well for something like that!
#15 Old 10-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i can't stand the smell of alfredo sauce, either, so i guess i could see it working well for something like that!

Did you ever like dairy parmesan? Cause that could be it. Maybe you're just not a big fan of parmesan. Although, how anyone could not love alfredo is completely outside the scope of my comprehension.
#16 Old 10-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Did you ever like dairy parmesan? Cause that could be it.

yeah, i loved it, so that's not it.
#17 Old 10-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

yeah, i loved it, so that's not it.

Huh. Oh well, I guess the mystery of ynaffit's alfredo hatred will never be solved.
#18 Old 10-19-2005, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

mmmm thanks yous! I'm hungry now!

My mom picked up the Tofutti strawberry cheesecake ice cream and the monkey bars =)

THEY WERE AWESOME. but next time i'm trying soy delicious.
#19 Old 10-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never tried Purely Decadent but I clicked on their website and there is a contest to win Purely Decadent for a year. And a cool vacation prize - I am such a sucker for online contests (esp after I won $2000 from a Lay's potato chip online contest!)

There is also a .50 coupon!

http://www.turtlemountain.com/
#20 Old 10-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Beginner

I like Soy Delicious Peanubutter and chocolate. Yum!

I got a .50 coupon too.
#21 Old 11-02-2005, 12:54 PM

DOUBLE RAINBOW!

DOUBLE RAINBOW!

Double rainbow Soy cream is INCREDIBLE. I've converted staunch anti soy cream vegans to this stuff. The Mint chip is divine! Best I've ever had.
#22 Old 11-02-2005, 07:31 PM

I like all kinds of soy ice cream, but my favorite are toffutti cuties bars. Those things own.

As for cheese, the best vegan cheese substitute is any "cheese" sauce made with nutrtional yeast. I use it for a macaroni casserole and it's intensely good. The first time I made it I almost couldn't eat it because it tasted so much like white cheddar macaroni, but I soon got over that. There's probably a recipe for it in the recipes section. As for any vegan hard cheeses or slices, I've had plenty and most smell terrible and taste like crap.
#23 Old 11-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Ice cream: Soy delicious Cherry Nirvana and Mocha Fudge

Cheese: Vegan Gourmet is the only one I have ever found to be tasteful....Yummy, now I'm hungry
#24 Old 11-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

*hitches a ride to Chicago*

I once had the best soy gelato EVER in a gelato place in Berkeley. Best ice cream I've ever had, vegan or non.

Have you had Mio Gelato?
#25 Old 11-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:

Also real parmesan has a lot of fat in it.

Parmagianno reggiano is made with skim milk, it is about 20% fat by weight making it one of the lowest fat (not counting fat reduced crap) cheeses, along with buffalo mozzarella.

The soymage parm is hands down the most authentic vegan cheese analog. It isn't a dead ringer for the real deal but it is much closer than vegan gourmet mozzarella is to real (i.e. fresh) mozzarella.
#26 Old 11-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Have you had Mio Gelato?

No, I have not. Do tell!
#27 Old 11-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

The soymage parm is hands down the most authentic vegan cheese analog. It isn't a dead ringer for the real deal but it is much closer than vegan gourmet mozzarella is to real (i.e. fresh) mozzarella.

Oh, but have you tried the Vegan Gourmet Monterey Jack? That stuff is awesome! I just made myself a toasted sourdough Tofuky and monterey jack sandwich this morning. Two nice sized slices of sourdough bread, three slices of oven roasted Tofurky, and about an ounce or two of Vegan Gourmet Monterey Jack (sliced thin). I piled the VG cheese on top of the slices of Tofurky on one slice of bread and left the other plain. Put both slices in the toaster oven on high heat for a couple of minutes, switch to broiler and cook until VG cheese starts to bubble. Spread some Vegenaise on the plain slice of toasted sourdough, and put it on the Tofurky and cheese. Slice the sandwich the way you like or just eat it whole. Man! That is some good eatin'. I also like the mozzarella. I find that I like it a little better on pizza when I mix a little of the monterey jack in with it. It's not quite as flavorful by itself without the monterrey jack. It's funny; I find that the pizza tastes even more like regular dairy pizza the next day when I reheat the slices in the toaster oven. Although, I can't vouch for Vegan Gourmet's similarity or lack thereof to fresh mozzarella, as I have never had it. I've only had the kind that you grate and put on pizza.
#28 Old 11-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

well on its own , I like "So Good" Boysenberry Swirl

With something else, it's hard to beat "So Good" strawberry with strawberries which have been cut up and put in a bowl in the fridge mixed with some sugar ... this creates its own juice in some hours. The strawberries and juice on the "icecream" is splendid!
#29 Old 11-03-2005, 08:06 PM

omg, definitely Tofutti.. holy crap, yum! heh, I'm eating some right now, actually but oh, it's just so yummy and creamy.. I absolutely love it! especially vanilla - so good!
#30 Old 11-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

No, I have not. Do tell!

NW 11th between burnside and couch, right next to sur la table.

I'm not sure under what conditions you eat dairy, the owner buys a lot of stuff at whole foods but I don't know anything specific about the eggs or dairy used. The sorbetto is also first class, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page