My Terrible Tempeh Experience - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I was browsing around my local Meijer store today. (For those of us not from the midwest Meijer is similar to a WalMart but with more food and less destroying of Mom and Pop stores.) Anywho, I was checking out the Tofu section when I saw a little package of Tempeh. The brand was LightLife. I thought "Wow, Meijer is becoming so progressive, first with Tofu and Soy Cheeses and now Tempeh!" So of course I picked myself up a package and went right home.

I sauteed some zucchini and summer squash, cooked some brown rice and proceeded to brown the Tempeh in oil with 2 tbs. Soy Sauce (as the package recommends. Long story short, it was disgusting!!!! The texture (all grainey, like little undercooked beans), the taste (like a smoked sausage but in a bad way). Just ew.

Does anyone have some spectacular recipe for tempeh. True, I could do a search of the recipes, but I want to know if anyone has actually had a successful experience with this stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2005, 05:47 PM

I have had many successes with Tempeh. I fry it up like chicken wings, use it for Rueben's, faux chicken salad. Buffalo Style tempeh sandwich. It is actually one of my favorite things.
#3 Old 10-08-2005, 04:00 AM
Veggie Regular

in my experience, tempeh tastes better if marinated....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-08-2005, 04:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I made that exact same mistake that you did, Frisky, except I found that it tasted like nasty fish. I'd recommend not using soy sauce, and having it with something with a stronger taste. It was better the next day on a sandwich with ketchup, for me.
#5 Old 10-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I use the LightLife Fakin' Bacon Tempeh, and you just cook it in a little oil. I can't imagine putting more soy on that stuff-- it's already pretty salty. I find it has a distinct sour taste when you eat it by itself, and it's a litle too strong on the smoke flavor, but I like it in a veggie sandwich. Like a BLT, but with more veggies.
#6 Old 10-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I crumble it into my chili. It's also good if you just use a spice rub or sprinklt spices on it and then fry in a little oil. I get 3-grain tempeh and I've never thought it tasted bad or fishy.
#7 Old 10-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Check out other tempeh links (they're already listed at the bottom of the page under "Similar Links" ) I think there's some prety good ideas in some of them.

Someone (I think Mollygoat) suggested simmering it in applejuice and then frying it 'till crispy... I like tempeh a lot already, but I found out this makes it even better!
#8 Old 10-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I like to cube it, then steam it in a pan for about 15 minutes. Then let it cool a little bit. While it's cooling, I slice up some celery and toast some slivered almonds in a pan on the stove. Then I mash up the tempeh so it's in small chunks and mix in the celery and almonds, and add mayo, a little mustard (stone ground is great), salt, pepper, and celery seed.

Voila! wonderful sandwich filling.
#9 Old 10-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE tempeh! Mmmm.
#10 Old 10-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Banned

I'm finding it hideous, but I used to also find tofu hideous and now I am warming up to it. So there is hope for you

Mollygoat is the self-proclaimed tempeh queen. Like Spout suggested, follow MG's tempeh lead.
#11 Old 10-09-2005, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like my experience with Tofu. I purchased it for the first time about 6 months ago and marinated it. I sauteed it and BLECH! Maybe it's the texture but I couldnt eat the stuff. It's odd because I like it when they call it Bean Curd in chinese food.
#12 Old 10-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriskyCat View Post

Does anyone have some spectacular recipe for tempeh. True, I could do a search of the recipes, but I want to know if anyone has actually had a successful experience with this stuff.

Crispy Coriander and Garlic Tempeh Sticks

http://www.newschannel5.com/tott/recipes/2679.htm

This recipe is a fair amount of work but got rave reviews when I made it for a potluck.

The squash soup recipe is great, too, and very easy.
#13 Old 10-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

I'm finding it hideous, but I used to also find tofu hideous and now I am warming up to it. So there is hope for you

I already told you... the kind you tried is pukey.
#14 Old 10-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I already told you... the kind you tried is pukey.

It's the only kind I can buy
#15 Old 10-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I only had tempe once, cut in slices and marinated with some kind of soy sause, mixed with spices adn peppers... But, it took so long to prepare, I never did it again. It tastes nice, but I like tofu better, and much quicker to prepare...
#16 Old 10-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Doesn't take long for me...I nuke it in the microwave and eat it in strips w/ cayenne pepper.
#17 Old 10-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I use the LightLife Fakin' Bacon Tempeh, and you just cook it in a little oil. I can't imagine putting more soy on that stuff-- it's already pretty salty. I find it has a distinct sour taste when you eat it by itself, and it's a litle too strong on the smoke flavor, but I like it in a veggie sandwich. Like a BLT, but with more veggies.

Fakin' bacon tastes like a marriage of cheddar cheese and liver to me.
#18 Old 10-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Fakin' bacon tastes like a marriage of cheddar cheese and liver to me.

Ugh, don't say that! I have more to eat tonight! But it will be crumbled up in potato/tofu-scramble "breakfast" tacos.
#19 Old 10-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Ugh, don't say that! I have more to eat tonight! But it will be crumbled up in potato/tofu-scramble "breakfast" tacos.

It will be just as ummmm.... yummy as ever! I promise!
#20 Old 10-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

It will be just as ummmm.... yummy as ever! I promise!

It turned out OK-- it was still pretty yummy, despite your attempt to RUIN it for me!
#21 Old 10-10-2005, 02:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

Doesn't take long for me...I nuke it in the microwave and eat it in strips w/ cayenne pepper.

Don't have a microwave

But the kind of tempeh I had came in one large brick-shaped thing, so not easy to prepare...
#22 Old 10-10-2005, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it's best to simmer tempeh in a strong-tasting marinade for 20-30 minutes and then fry it, or bread it and fry it. One of my favorite ways is to use red wine, garlic, and fresh herbs as the marinade, and then coat in seasoned bread crumbs, ground pine nuts, and fry in EVOO.

MMMMMMMMmmmm.
#23 Old 10-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inie View Post

Don't have a microwave

But the kind of tempeh I had came in one large brick-shaped thing, so not easy to prepare...

how is that not easy to prepare?

i love tempeh. love it. loved it since i first tried it.

with soy sauce would be a bit strong. sometimes i'll do about a teaspoon of braggs, but i can't take saltier than that.

to change the texture (so it isn't so "grainy") you could simmer it in enough water to about half way cover it (after cubing it). cook until the water is nearly evaporated and then stir fry it in whatever. or crumble it and use it in chili.

you could also add it to some salsa, peppers, carrots, corn and black beans. serve over quinoa.

or bbq it with some peppers and onions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page