Cream Soda- Vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I did a search on here but couldn't find an answer, so I'll just ask

Is cream soda vegan?? It's one of my little guilty pleasures and I drank a whole can last night assuming it was vegan because it didn't list off any bad ingredients, but I'm no expert with trace stuff... *crosses fingers*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't know if all are, but i do know Stewart's cream soda is.
#3 Old 10-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks! What would the non-vegan ingredients be if it weren't? All I can think of is cream, but cream is never actually in cream soda, right? Just vanilla?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm pretty sure cream soda is vegan. Its usually just artificial flavoring, isn't it? You can always check on the side of the bottle to see an ingredient list.
#5 Old 10-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Why don't you post the ingredents? I've never seen a soda that wasn't vegan, I'm sure its happened though.
#6 Old 10-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliaka View Post

Thanks! What would the non-vegan ingredients be if it weren't? All I can think of is cream, but cream is never actually in cream soda, right? Just vanilla?

yeah, i always thought cream soda was basically just vanilla soda.
#7 Old 10-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Acording to Wikipedia "Italian Cream Soda" is carbonated water and cream (or half and half) with vanilla. Must be where the name came from, but different people around the would call different things "cream soda".

Quote:

Cream soda is a sweet carbonated soft drink. In the American market it is usually clear or coloured brown and vanilla or bubble gum flavoured. Canadian cream soda is almost always pink and has a unique taste somewhat reminiscent of grenadine. Red cream sodas also exist, with tastes usually leaning towards the bubble gum variety. They are primarily sold in the South of the U.S., and especially Texas.

In Australia, cream soda is generally known as creaming soda and is pink, much like the Canadian version. Australians are also able to enjoy the American "brown vanilla" version as it is also made and marketed locally.

#8 Old 10-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never encountered a cream soda that had cream in it. The kinds I've had have all been vegan.
#9 Old 10-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I've seen cream sodas with honey in them, so they're not all vegan.
#10 Old 10-08-2005, 12:22 AM

There is no cream in Canadian cream soda (we get the bright pink stuff here, I don't think Americans get that). It is just called that because it has a "creamy" taste, or that's what I've been told anyway. It's the same as any other pop: carbonated water, sugar, and artificial flavour/colour.
#11 Old 07-07-2018, 03:57 PM

Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, sodium benzoate, caramel color, acid, yucca extract ....from A&W cream soda bottle
#12 Old 07-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyttenBrinkman View Post
Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, sodium benzoate, caramel color, acid, yucca extract ....from A&W cream soda bottle
The only ingredient that might not be vegan is the coloring. I read in another forum years ago where people did some investigation on possible non-vegan ingredients in soda.

Now, of course, I can't find it. But my conclusion was that it was hard to tell from the ingredients. And it was not worth losing sleep over.

However, I did find a few articles on the subject and they all agreed that you can tell from the ingredients. Avoid the ones that contain gelatine and cochineal.

https://veganwomble.co.uk/soft-drinks/
https://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/food-and-drink
#13 Old 07-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyttenBrinkman View Post

The answer can likely be found on the Vegetarian Resource Group's guide to food ingredients: https://www.vrg.org/ingredients/

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in