Thanksgiving Potluck - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I got invited to a Thanksgiving potluck on the weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving), and I am looking for ideas of what to bring. I'm looking for a dish (or, more likely, a few dishes because there probably won't be much else for me to eat) that is vegan, easily transportable, easily sharable, and well liked by vegetarians and omnis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I made kreeli's nutloaf from her last years thanksgiving for my family at christmas and they FREAKED OUT, everyone, no matter how super redneck they are loved it. Vegan green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, and real cranberry sauce also went over well. You could also try making pockets of mushrooms and sauce in puff pastry for a main dish but you'd have to make a lot for a pot luck. petas pumpkin cheese cake is a real winner for dessert and its very very easy to make.

ETA: Vegan linzer cookies or tortes are also good for thanksgiving, its a almond short dough filled with a thin layer of rasberry or apricot jam (I go apricot for thanksgiving) Think adult poptart that is really tasty.
#3 Old 10-02-2005, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Those all sound really good! I should have mentioned, however, that I cannot eat gluten, so I am limited to dishes that revolve around, rice, nuts, beans, veggies, and fruit - things with bread, oats, and pastry are unfortunately out.

I would love to try a green bean casserole, but I don't think that I have ever seen vegan mushroom soup around here. I'll have to have a hard look at the HFS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you can buy gluten-free bread mixes? I believe i've seen them at the HFS.
#5 Old 10-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

You can. In my experience, they are really hit or miss though. There is a stuffing mix that I might buy for myself, so that I don't have to miss out on stuffing (someone is already bring stuffing to the potluck).

I was considering main dishes such as stuffed squash, rice pilaf (maybe something with nuts and cranberries), soup; and side dishes such as roasted veggies.

I'm not very good at coming up with specifics though...
#6 Old 10-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

Those all sound really good! I should have mentioned, however, that I cannot eat gluten, so I am limited to dishes that revolve around, rice, nuts, beans, veggies, and fruit - things with bread, oats, and pastry are unfortunately out.

I would love to try a green bean casserole, but I don't think that I have ever seen vegan mushroom soup around here. I'll have to have a hard look at the HFS.

I just make my own cream of mushroom, I thicken it with flour but you could use a gluten free thickener of some sort (corn starch?). You could sauté some mushrooms with a little olive oil and then mix a few table spoons of corn starch in cold veggie broth or soy milk and then add it to the mushrooms with whatever spices you like, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper, etc.

You could probably play with kreeli's nut roast to make it gluten free, there are bread crumbs in it but you could probably use a gluten free bread and instead of traditional stuffing you could fill it with mushrooms, or other veggies you like. A lentil/mushroom/rice loaf could suit you as well. You could also do a stuffed winter squash of some sort, or maybe a sweet potato casserole.
#7 Old 10-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I've made a yummy rice pilaf with nuts and mushrooms that has a nice harvest-fest feel to it. Techically, it's not a pilaf, since I don't brown the rice first, but has that kind of flavor. I just cook up some brown & wild rice mix using no-chicken broth instead of water, then saute some onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and chopped walnuts and mix them in. I make a basic brown gravy with a little wine to go with it. If you added dried cranberries or currants, it would be even more Thanksgiving-y.
#8 Old 10-02-2005, 01:34 PM

I would bring a stuffed squash, that way you have a filling meal in one dish and won't have to muddle by on greens.

you could stuff a spagetti or butternut squash (just use gluten free bread) or mabye use the Pilaf mentioned above.
#9 Old 10-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw this recipe made on the FOOD network the other day. Sweet Potato and Walnut Gratin. I'm sure you could veganize it quite easily too. It looked just gorgeous.

http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/reciped...ecipe_6081.asp
#10 Old 10-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Mashed sweet potatoes are deelish and a nice change from the regular mashed white potatoes.

A stuffed squash sounds awesome. I would use something nice and seasonal like acorn, delicata or kabocha rather than butternut, which you can find year round. Hollow out the halves, roast them, stuff with the filling of your choice, and put back in the oven to heat through.

A nice filling would be a wild rice/brown rice mixture, some well-cooked beans, a little oil (a mixture of extra-virgin olive oil and a wee bit of toasted sesame oil would be nice), lemon juice, agave or maple syrup, some toasted nuts and/or dried fruit like cranberries, and fresh herbs...that would be awesome!
#11 Old 10-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

There was a stuffed squash recipe in a holiday issue of Vegetarian Times two years ago (I think) and I've always wanted to try it. I'm not sure if I have the magazine anymore though (and if I do, it's packed away in a box somewhere).
#12 Old 10-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I found the recipe:

Cornucopia Compote 01-NOV-04 p95

Serves 8 -- Egg- and Dairy-free

Served in acorn squashes, this savory compote will be the star of your Thanksgiving table. You can make the filling a day ahead, then stuff and bake the squashes on Thanksgiving Day.

2 Tbs. olive oil

2 medium-sized onions, thinly sliced

1 15.5-oz. can chickpeas, drained

About 3 cups red kidney beans, rinsed and drained

2 tart apples such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and chopped

1 cup dried cranberries or dried red tart cherries

1 cup snipped dried apricots

1/2 cup port, brandy, or dry white or red wine

1/4 cup honey

1 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

8 small acorn squashes (about 1 lb. each), cut in half and seeded

Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish

Directions:

1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, and sauté until medium brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, kidney beans, apples, dried fruits, port and honey, and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Season with thyme leaves, salt and freshly ground black pepper. (Filling can be made to this point, covered and refrigerated up to 3 days.)

2. Preheat oven to 350F.

3. Pack squashes with filling, place on baking tray and bake, uncovered, 25 minutes. Cover with lids, and bake 20 to 30 minutes more, until squashes are tender. Garnish with thyme, and serve.

PER SERVING: 510 CAL; 13 G PROT; 5 G TOTAL FAT (0 SAT. FAT); 108 G CARB.; 0 MG CHOL; 620 MG SOD.; 17 G FIBER; 44 G SUGARS
#13 Old 10-02-2005, 06:26 PM

acorn squashes look so pretty on a table, too.
#14 Old 10-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, the magazine had pictures of the dish and it look really pretty.

I'm thinking that a squash stuffed with rice would probably go over better with omnis though.
#15 Old 10-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

A nice filling would be a wild rice/brown rice mixture, some well-cooked beans, a little oil (a mixture of extra-virgin olive oil and a wee bit of toasted sesame oil would be nice), lemon juice, agave or maple syrup, some toasted nuts and/or dried fruit like cranberries, and fresh herbs...that would be awesome!

I just found a similar recipe:

Basmati and Wild Rice Stuffing 01-NOV-99 61

Makes 10 cups -- Dairy-free

For a beautiful presentation at the holidays, use it to make stuffed delicata squash rings or serve it as a colorful side dish spooned into radicchio leaves.

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

1 Tbs. chopped fresh rosemary

1 Tbs. chopped fresh sage

2 Tbs. tamari or soy sauce

2 Tbs. umeboshi vinegar

2 tsp. balsamic vinegar

1 1/2 cups cored, diced apple

3 cups vegetable broth

1 cup uncooked brown basmati rice

1/2 cup uncooked wild rice

3 Tbs. olive oil

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup currants or raisins

1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (4 oz.)

2 tsp. cumin seeds

1 medium onion, diced

1 tsp. paprika

1 tsp. dried thyme

1 tsp. dried oregano

1/8 tsp. cayenne

6 medium cloves garlic, minced

2 large stalks celery, diced

1 cup diced bell pepper (red, yellow or green)

Directions:

In small saucepan, bring broth to a simmer. In strainer, rinse basmati and wild rice together under cold running water.

In large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-low heat. Add rice mixture and stir well to coat. Cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add hot broth and salt, increase to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until liquid has been absorbed and steam holes form in rice, about 55 minutes. (Wild rice opens up, revealing a white center when it is done.)

In shallow bowl, combine currants and warm water to cover. Let soak 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Remove rice from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Transfer to large bowl and set aside. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Spread pecans in baking pan and bake until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.

In large skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 minutes. Season with paprika, thyme, oregano and cayenne. Stir in garlic, celery and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, 10 minutes. Stir in currants, apple, parsley, rosemary and sage and remove pan from heat.

Add vegetable mixture, toasted pecans, tamari and both vinegars to rice mixture. Stuff vegetable of choice and bake according to directions in "Stuff It Your Way" (available in recipe index) or serve as a side dish.

PER 1/2-cup: 244 CAL; 4 G PROT; 12 G TOTAL FAT (1 SAT. FAT); 25 G CARB.; 0 MG CHOL; 336 MG SOD.; 3 G FIBER
#16 Old 10-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm still looking for suggestions.

So far, I know that the other people are bringing: meat lasagna, stuffing, potatoes, salad or some other veggies (the person hasn't decided what yet), some sort of dessert, and there are a couple of other undecided people.
#17 Old 10-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

msbunnicula, can you do quinoa? The red quinoa is so pretty and festive looking.

Here's a recipe I use, and it is SOO yummy!! though I bake it all in a kabocha squash that I've "pre-baked" ahead of time to soften a bit before adding the quinoa stuffing/pilaf mixture.

Quinoa Baked in Squash

1/2 cup white quinoa, rinsed

1/2 cup red quinoa, rinsed

1 cup orange juice

2 cup apple juice or cider

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp allspice

1/4 tsp nutmeg

11/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 acorn squash

5 TB butter,(I use EB obviously) divided

1 medium onion, diced

1 carrot, diced

1 celery rib, diced

1/2 cup dried cranberries

1/2 cup dried apples, diced

1 Tb, dry crumbled sage

2 TB maple syrup

1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds

1/4 cup fresh sage, (or parsley) minced

Toast the quinoa in a dry, heavy bottomed pot for about 3 minutes. Add the orange juice, apple juice, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.

Carefully cut each acorn squash in half and place cut-side down in a baking dish filled with 1/2 inch of water. Bake for about 25 minutes at 350°F.

Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter and sauté the dried sage, onions, carrots, and celery for about 12 minutes over medium heat. Add the sautéed vegetables to the quinoa, and sprinkle in the dried cranberries, apples, and maple syrup.

Simmer the aromatic mixture for 10 more minutes, at which point the quinoa should be fully cooked and hold together like sticky rice.

Remove from heat and stir in the sliced almonds and the sage or parsley.

Turn the squash cut-side up and brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Fill each half with 1/4 of the quinoa mixture and return to the oven for 10 minutes, or until the squash tests done with a fork. Enjoy
#18 Old 10-05-2005, 11:25 AM

oooh! red quinoa is a great idea. and the recipe seems on the sweeter side, I like that better. also a good way to rope in the omni's. I am so using this recipe this year.

Tofu-N-Sprouts, good one!
#19 Old 10-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I can eat quinoa. I've only had it once though and I wasn't a huge fan (it might have been the recipe though...). I wonder if you could sub rice in for the quinoa...

Your recipe does sound yummy. I've never seen red quinoa...
#20 Old 10-05-2005, 02:12 PM

Black-eyed Pea Salad (spicy)

1 (12 \tounce) can black-eyed peas, drained

1/2 \tcup red onions, sliced

2 \tdashes garlic salt

1/4 \tcup sugar

1/4 \tcup cider vinegar

1/2 \tjar pimientos

1/2 \tcup green peppers, chopped

1/4 \tcup vegetable oil

1/2 \tteaspoon salt

1 \tdash hot sauce (as daring as you like)

Mix all ingredients together.

Put in covered tupperware type container and let "marinate" at least 12 hours.

Keeps well- up to 3 weeks.

OR:

Strawberry Spinach Salad

Dressing

1 \tlemon

2 \ttablespoons white wine vinegar

1/3 \tcup sugar

1 \ttablespoon vegetable oil \t

1 \tteaspoon poppy seeds

Salad

1/4 \tcup sliced almonds, toasted

1 1/2 \tcups strawberries (8 ounces)

1/2 \tmedium cucumber, sliced and cut in half

1/4 \tsmall red onion, sliced into thin wedges

1 (6 oz) package baby spinach

For dressing, zest lemon to measure 1/2 tsp zest.

Juice lemon to measure 2 tbsp juice.

Combine zest, juice, vinegar, sugar, oil and poppy seeds in small bowl.

Whisk until well blended.

Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

For salad, spread almonds in single layer over bottom of small baking pan.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly toasted.

remove from oven; cool almonds.

Hull strawberries; cut strawberries into quarters.

Peel cucumber and slice; cut slices in half.

Slice onion into thin wedges.

Place spinich in large serving bowl; add strawberries, cucumber and onion.

Whisk dressing; pour over salad, gently tossing to coat.

Sprinkle with almonds.
#21 Old 10-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

i always make pumpkin soup and a salad.

pumpkin soup is canned pumpkin, mashed potatoes, pureed onions, veggie broth, whatever seasonings you like (you can do spicy, savory, curried, or whatever), and a bit of soy milk. i like to sprinkly it with pepitas (pumkin seeds) before serving. i carry mine to dinners in a tupperware container. Usually, i'll carve out a pumpkin and carry that along for service.

salad is easy--greens, whatever veggies, pumpkin seeds (cross over!), and a simply mustard vinegarette.

i usually get more than enough to eat with this.
#22 Old 10-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Christy. I'm looking for something a little warmer and more harvesty.

Zoebird, thanks. Pumpkin soup is a great idea, but I've never had it, so I'm not sure if I would like it.

I'm now thinking about maybe making chili...
#23 Old 10-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Chili....
#24 Old 10-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

Chili....

This is why I'm thinking about just making chili. It's easy and it makes a lot of people (omni and vegetarian) .
#25 Old 10-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

i always make pumpkin soup and a salad.

pumpkin soup is canned pumpkin, mashed potatoes, pureed onions, veggie broth, whatever seasonings you like (you can do spicy, savory, curried, or whatever), and a bit of soy milk. i like to sprinkly it with pepitas (pumkin seeds) before serving. i carry mine to dinners in a tupperware container. Usually, i'll carve out a pumpkin and carry that along for service.

salad is easy--greens, whatever veggies, pumpkin seeds (cross over!), and a simply mustard vinegarette.

i usually get more than enough to eat with this.

Me too! Me too! Pumpkin soup is a tradition for us at Thanksgiving... actually I would eat it all winter if I could... I do it with curry spices and coconut milk and a squeeze of lime juice.... my absolute favorite comfort food any time, any place...
#26 Old 10-08-2005, 12:19 AM

Blackbean pumpkin soup--can be found on vegweb. Spiced pumpkin bread. Vegan stuffing. My Mom make's orange sweet potatoes. Cooks them in the oven with orange juice until they became almost candied (the orange juice thickens around them). Potato dressing (cooked mashed potatoes, mixed with summer savoury and onions, baked in the oven in a casserole dish until the top begins to brown). Quarter a squash, leave the skin on, sprinkle brown sugar or some maple syrup on it, then bake it in the oven until tender. Homemade cranberry sauce.
#27 Old 10-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan_angel411 View Post

Blackbean pumpkin soup--can be found on vegweb. Spiced pumpkin bread. Vegan stuffing. My Mom make's orange sweet potatoes. Cooks them in the oven with orange juice until they became almost candied (the orange juice thickens around them). Potato dressing (cooked mashed potatoes, mixed with summer savoury and onions, baked in the oven in a casserole dish until the top begins to brown). Quarter a squash, leave the skin on, sprinkle brown sugar or some maple syrup on it, then bake it in the oven until tender. Homemade cranberry sauce.

That all sounds yummy - especially the potato dressing!
#28 Old 10-08-2005, 08:56 AM

After Tofu-N-Sprouts posted that vegan peirogi recipe, I decided that's what I'm going to take to a thanksgiving potluck tomorrow. I've made them before (different recipe), but I'd forgotten about them. I think I'll make two flavors - potato and onion and then either sauerkraut or mushroom.

bringing veg stuffing is a good idea! some years I've also made vegan gravy to go with turkey dinners, it's nice to not have to go without.
#29 Old 10-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks!!

This will be my first veg*n Thanksgiving. I like the stuff squashed idea. Awhile ago, I had an availability of zucchinni, cheap and free. (I had too much of an abundance; some of it rotted in my fridge; Ugh. I hate wasting food.) My mom (a meat eater) suggested that I do a stuffed squash. If I provide the ingredients, she might help me with it for Thanksgiving this year. Yum.

Pumpkin soup sounds good, too. That might be something my mom and I can do for the whole family after Thanksgiving. It's definately something I'll try for me. (My husband might even like it. Insert evil conniving laugh.)

I got the November/December issue of Vegetarian Times Saturday. I've flipped through it and found some recipes that might be doable as well. I figure I might even find something in my more "mainstream" magazines--Family Circle, Redbook, and Ladies Home Journal

I definately want to bring a nice appetizing main dish when I go to the in-laws for the after Thanksgiving dinner and for Christmas. (Because I'm spending yet another Christmas with the in-laws.)

I digress.

I'm going to go on a recipe hunt soon.

Laura
#30 Old 10-10-2005, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I just stumbled apon these reciepes from www.funandfamily.com They have little coupon advertisement booklets in the aforementioned mainstream mags I mentioned above. I thought I'd share because a couple of them were along the lines of what was discussed. (I found it by clicking on the Recipes tab, then under Collections, and then down to Vegetarian Holiday Feasts.)

Vegetarian Holiday Feasts:

Borscht

Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger & Fennel

Sauteed Fennel, Red Bell Pepper & Scallions

Snow Peas & Wild Mushrooms with Ginger

Vegetarian Gravy

Wild Rice, Quinoa & Herbs

By the way, what is Quinoa? I've not heard of it prior to reading this thread.

Thanks!

Laura

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page