Could amazake replace eggs as a natural leavener? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-25-2005, 05:19 AM

I know that amazake is a fermented beverage made from rice or any other grain mixed with the koji culture, but I heard its a leavener for baked goods from many sources, is this true? If so, then have you tried it? How is it? Did you create any cakes, pizzas, cookies, other baked goods with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

That's an interesting thought. I've never tried it, because I usually use EnerG Egg Replacer. For as often as I bake, using Amazake would be much more expensive.

But if you try it let us know. I'm curious to know if it works.
#3 Old 09-26-2005, 08:16 AM

I don't know if it's available in my area and I live in Richmond, VA, but I'll look for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-26-2005, 10:21 AM

Ah, come on! Isn't any other person going to answer this thread? I like to know if amazake can replace eggs as a natural leavening agent or not. My question can't be that stupid nor boring, is it?
#5 Old 09-26-2005, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw an ad for amazake in Whole Foods the other day, but I don't know the first thing about it. Maybe your question is just hard to answer.
#6 Old 09-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosaur Man View Post

Ah, come on! Isn't any other person going to answer this thread? I like to know if amazake can replace eggs as a natural leavening agent or not. My question can't be that stupid nor boring, is it?

Your question isn't stupid or boring, but it is unusual. Perhaps no one has heard of doing this before. Maybe you should try it out, then enlighten us if it works.
#7 Old 09-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Banned

First time I've heard of eggs as a leavening agent. Usually I use baking powder/soda or yeast. In recipies where eggs are used to produce froth or fluff, usually bakers are taking advantage of their high protein content to create a foam (like a merengue.)

To me, this sounds more similar to the old standby, beer bread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page