Veggie Burger at Burger King - if I order it w/out - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Beginner

mayo, is it strict veggie? On nutritional info, it says 0 cholesterol w/ no mayo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

it has egg whites in it now
#3 Old 09-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Here are the ingredients (from http://www.bk.com/Food/Nutrition/ingredients.aspx)

BK VEGGIE® BURGER

Vegetables (Mushrooms, Water Chestnuts, Onions, Carrots, Green Bell Peppers, Red Bell Peppers, Black Olives), Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Protein Concentrate, Wheat Gluten, Water for Hydration), Egg Whites, Cooked Brown Rice (Water, Brown Rice), Rolled Oats, Corn Oil, Calcium Caseinate, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Salt, Wheat), Onion Powder, Corn Starch, Salt, Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy, and Wheat Protein, Yeast Extract, Natural Flavors from non-meat sources, Sugar, Soy Protein Isolate, Spices, Garlic Powder, Dextrose, Jalapeño Pepper Powder, Celery Extract. Contains: Soy, Wheat, Milk and Egg. This is NOT a vegan product.

So that's a 'no' then, if you don't want any animal products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Ankle Biter

I think I had one of these a few years back, and it was okay - for fast food. I don't think I would have been concerned about the egg whites then. But, when I hear people say that they aren't concerned with "trace" ingredients, would this be the kind of thing that a "strict vegetarain" would let slide by? What do people generally mean by trace ingredients...just curious for opinions on this....

And things like - "vegetarian fajahitas (sp?)" - would most go ahead and order something like that - knowing you could avoid the cheese and sour cream - at the local Mexican restaurant , or would you ask to see the ingredient list on the tortillas, etc...?

I'm kind of struggling with how many questions I want to ask and how much attention I want to attract....

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 09-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Beginner

I have no clue on how to answer. I am mainly looking for cholesterol to tell me, but recently I am being told that something can have less than 5 mg and still be listed as 0 cholesterol. This has egg whites and calcium casienate (sp?) which I guess is the milk, but online it says 0 cholesterol.
#6 Old 09-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

You are correct, NCBeachboy. Egg whites, iirc have no cholesterol and the calcium casienate would give a negligible amount so yes, technically, the cholesterol line would read 0.

Looking at the cholesterol line won't tell you if there's animal products in it or not. The only exception to that rule would be if you read there was something there besides a zero THEN you know there's enough animal products to actually register a cholesterol amount (more than 5mg). Most people use the cholesterol line as the first check when reading a lable. If they see 0 cholesterol, then they check the ingredients list to make sure there are no animal products in it. If they see a number there (more than 0), then they immediately put it back and go on.

They do this because of exactly what you found out. 0 cholesterol doesn't necessarily mean 0 animal products.

Wonky, I know.
#7 Old 09-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

the Veggie Burgers served at BK are the Morningstar Farms Garden Veggie Burger Patty... which aren't vegan.. /works for BK... /hates her job
#8 Old 09-21-2005, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, it used to be vegan up until last year when they changed to Morningstar. They don't taste as good anymore, but I still order them every once a while. I still like them though.
#9 Old 09-21-2005, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

You are correct, NCBeachboy. Egg whites, iirc have no cholesterol and the calcium casienate would give a negligible amount so yes, technically, the cholesterol line would read 0.

Looking at the cholesterol line won't tell you if there's animal products in it or not. The only exception to that rule would be if you read there was something there besides a zero THEN you know there's enough animal products to actually register a cholesterol amount (more than 5mg). Most people use the cholesterol line as the first check when reading a lable. If they see 0 cholesterol, then they check the ingredients list to make sure there are no animal products in it. If they see a number there (more than 0), then they immediately put it back and go on.

They do this because of exactly what you found out. 0 cholesterol doesn't necessarily mean 0 animal products.

Wonky, I know.

Thanks, I didn't know that about the cholestrol. I still eat eggs, in moderation. BK is one of three fast food places I'll go to, on the rare occasions I eat out, especially travelling since they're the most widespread. The other two are Wendy's (side salad and baked potato) and Taco Bell (beans in lieu of meat). Oh, yeah, Subway, too.

Laura

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page