VeggieBoards banner

Flax Seeds

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Amy323 
#1 ·
ok.. for a lack of knowing where to post this.. i'll try food talk

its been suggested i eat this for the nutrients as part of the vegetarian diet.. <i havnt been getting enough fibre.. naughty girl> but the question is HOW... and how much per day?

the bag says.. pulverize and sprinkle ove cereals.. etc.. can i mix it in yoghurt..? in oatmeal.. use it in stirfry's... should i cook it.. not heat it..?

ive seen a few recipes using flax seed and water.. blitzed together.. to replace egg's i assume?

so opinions..?

Leandre

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep. The flax and hot water thing is to replace eggs in baked items. Don't try to cook them like scrambled eggs or anything.

For your omega 3 fatty acids, it's good to use about a tablespoon a day, ground up (if done whole, the seeds won't digest properly). For that, I use a coffee grinder (clean, preferrably).

Yogurt and flax is a YUMMY combination, IMO but I wouldn't heat or cook with it. Cooking distroys the omega3 fatty acids and the flax themselves tend to taste a bit "slimy" in hot things (at least they do to me). I like flax best in cold things like smoothies, PB sandwiches, soy yogurt, etc.

Hope that helps a bit.

#4 ·
That's interesting about cooking flax, because I have a box of Van's Frozen Waffles - "Wheat Free with Flax" (the ingredient list says organic flax meal). I found it at Wild Oats. It's completely vegan, BTW.

I also bought this recently and just started using it. It seems to work fine for me.

#6 ·
you can bake with flax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.silanutrition.com/flaxomfa.html View Post

Is it safe to bake with flaxseed?

Yes! The thermal stability of flaxseed has been the focus of recent research, and the answer may surprise you: although the ALA (alpha-linolenic acid, the parent omega-3 fat) in flax oil can't withstand heat, whole and milled flaxseed is stable under typical baking temperatures (350 F or 178 C) for up to two hours.

Why? First, let's consider the effects of temperature. As a batter or dough bakes, its internal temperature peaks at the point at which the starch gelatinizes. This "gelatinization point" is typically about 203 F (95 C) for a wheat flour-sugar mix. This means that the internal temperature of the baked good does not reach the oven temperature.

The fatty acids in baked goods remain intact when heated for up to two hours at 350 F (178 C), and up to one hour at 662 F (350 C).

Time of baking is also a factor: batters are typically baked for 20-25 minutes, far below experimental conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.