Sauce To Put On Rice? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-11-2005, 04:47 PM

I eat a lot of rice/vegetable mixes as a vegan, and I like them. I was thinking that I might try a more Asian approach sometimes though. I love going and getting Chinese Japanese/Thai, but I never really know what the sauce is. I've tried putting soy sauce on white rice, but It doesn't seem sweet enough. Some type of Teriyaki sauce maybe? What do I look for at the store? Any advice? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

One word: Sriracha!!! This stuff rules the school, as far as sauces go. It's not teriyaki, but oh so good.

http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm
#3 Old 09-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Beginner

that stuff is good, but SOOOO spicy... less is more IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

We use Kikkoman garlic teriyaki sauce with our broccoli almond tofu rice stirfry.
#5 Old 09-12-2005, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianSKA View Post

that stuff is good, but SOOOO spicy... less is more IMO

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it's spicy. I also forget (often) that not everyone likes really hot, spicy foods like I do.

But, mmmmmm....

It's at least worth trying even if you don't like spicy food.
#6 Old 09-12-2005, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

If you like sweet, you might like coconut rice. It's yummy and really easy to make:

Coconut Rice

From “Chinese Kitchen” by Linda Doeser, publised in 2001.

————————————————-

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

2 cups jasmine rice (or long grain)

1 cup of water

2 cups unsweetened coconut milk

1/2 teaspoon of salt

2 tablespoons of sugar (raw vegan is fine, or your favourite substitute)

(optional) fresh shredded coconut for garnish

1. Wash the rice in several changes of cold water until it runs clear. Place the water, coconut, milk, salt and sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. (Note: the washing is not completely necessary, but it changes the texture a little).

2. Add the rice, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender to the bite and cooked through.

3. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to rest in the saucepan for 5-10 minutes.

4. Fluff up the rice with chopsticks before serving.
#7 Old 09-12-2005, 02:23 AM
Beginner

There's this really great stuff called pork sung that I used to eat as a kid (when I ate meat), and it's this crunchy/crispy topping kinda (teriyaki-flavored)...it's hard to imagine what it's like unless you've had it. I just found a vegetarian version lately, and it's REALLY good on rice. If you have any asian markets around you, I'd suggest looking for it. If you look for the pork sung, they'd have it around that, but not sure if the vegetarian one will be hard to find. They also have some seasoned seaweed bits that you can sprinkle on your rice that's pretty good for a subtle effect. Vegetable curries are also really good with rice. If you want something simple, you could always go to an asian market and browse through the sauce aisle. Black bean sauce is good, but I'm not sure if it's vegan. You could also cook your own soy sauce by simmering it with a bit of garlic bits, sweet onion, a bit of sugar, etc...it's a really easy way to customize your own teriyaki-esque sauce.

Hope that helped!
#8 Old 09-12-2005, 02:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I love making peanut sauces and tahini sauces and tossing them into rice right when it's down cooking. Peanut sauce is made pretty easily using some peanut butter, sesame oil, soy sauce, water, garlic, ginger, and whatever else, and tahini sauce with tahini, water, lemon juice, salt, and maybe some garlic and whatever other flavoring you may wish.
#9 Old 09-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

peanut sauce

raspberry salsa

bbq chipotle salsa

sour supreme

tahini sauce

vinaigrette salad dressing

coconut milk

teriyaki sauce

pumpkin butter (mmmmmmmm.....)

apple butter and soymilk

lemon juice and pepper...

i could go on and on and on and on...
#10 Old 09-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I have some San-J Sweet & Tangy sauce thats fantastic! I don't know that its vegan though... it may have honey..

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page