A diet for the diabetic vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-11-2005, 02:09 PM

I've just been diagnosed. My Dr. said it was mild enough that it could be controlled with diet. I love my beans and don't want to give them up, but I understand they're high in carbs. Any advice, or does anyone know where I could find some sample diabetic vegan menus?

Also, while I am optimistic about being able to control this with diet and exercise, I can't help worrying about the need for insulin. Is there such a thing a synthetic insulin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Baby Love

I don't know much about diabetes, so excuse my ignorance and curiousity. I thought refined carbohydrates were the problem with diabetes due to the sharp rise and drop in blood sugar levels, but that healthy whole foods (like beans) didn't have that same effect. Is that not the case?
#3 Old 09-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

My neighbour is (an omni) diabetic, and I know that she eats - and benefits from eating - beans, pulses and tofu. Beans are rich in carbs, yes, but they're also an excellent protein source, and should certainly not be placed in the same category as, e.g., refined grain products such as white rice and pasta. (They're also much richer in minerals and fibres, of course).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Check out Dr. Fuhrman's info on diet and diabtetes: http://www.drfuhrman.com/disease/Diabetes.aspx I don't think he has sample menus specific to diabetes but he does have "regular" sample menus in his book Eat to Live. I'm guessing the main difference between his "regular" diet recommendations and those for diabetics would be less fruit for the diabetics (?), until the condition has resolved. I don't know much about the "standard" diet recommended for diabetes but with his approach, you definitely do not have to give up beans!
#5 Old 09-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't give up those beans! They are a great blood sugar stabilizer.

Eat plenty of beans and vegetables, smaller amounts of fruits and nuts (eating them together will lessen the fructose's effect on your blood sugar), limited amounts of whole grains, and avoid refined starch products entirely if you can (breads and pastas--even whole wheat varieties, white rice, etc.) And NO sugar of course!

Good luck! Early stage diabetes is reversible through diet. There's a good prognosis for you.
#6 Old 09-12-2005, 02:02 PM

HI

My Husband is diabetic. We went to a 1 day clinic at the medical center to learn about it. The first thing they taught us was to look at the serving size and then look how much the total carbs are for that serving. Then subtract out the fiber. What's left is the net effect or net carbs. My husband (weighs about 230 lbs) he is suppose to have 17 counts of carbs-counting 15 gram per carb (1 = 15 grams x 17) He doesn't have to count fruits or vegies except for potatoe, peas and corn. And he avoids (as much as I can make him) refined flours, pastas, sugars. He limits severely cakes, chips, cookies etc. This has been working for him so that he doesn't have to take medication. And counting makes it a little easier. Just watch your portions.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page