Want to make firmer Seitan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Min
Veggie Regular

I want to make a Seitan that is firm enough to slice (thin) into cold cuts for my lunchs. I have an electric food slicer but what im making now seems a little on the flexible/softer side. Do any of you have any ideas on how to make it firmer or even a recipe? I wasnt sure if it was a cooking method or an ingredient.

Thanks for your help

Min
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post

I want to make a Seitan that is firm enough to slice (thin) into cold cuts for my lunchs. I have an electric food slicer but what im making now seems a little on the flexible/softer side. Do any of you have any ideas on how to make it firmer or even a recipe? I wasnt sure if it was a cooking method or an ingredient.

Thanks for your help

Min

I don't know if this will help but in a recipe for "chicken" seitan it recommended that you pull and stretch the seitan before you cook it, and I kneaded the crap out of it, and it came out REALLY firm and chewy, almost too chewy. I think the texture becomes more firm the more the gluten strands are manipulated.
#3 Old 09-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Definitely knead the heall out of it. The more it's handled, as brah says, the tougher the gluten strands get, which for seitan is a good thing.

You can also wrap the seitan firmly in cheesecloth and tie it with kitchen twine before simmering it. That yields a very, very firm product, perfect for cold cuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Min
Veggie Regular

I will give that a try thanks you guys!
#5 Old 09-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Definitely knead the heall out of it. The more it's handled, as brah says, the tougher the gluten strands get, which for seitan is a good thing.

You can also wrap the seitan firmly in cheesecloth and tie it with kitchen twine before simmering it. That yields a very, very firm product, perfect for cold cuts.

Oh yeah, I did that too. Scalded my hands squeezing the broth out of it FYI [even though it specifically said to take care...I am dumb] but it made little "chicken loaves" that I then made soup out of. I cut it into cubes but it would have sliced up very well.
#6 Old 09-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

You can also BAKE it instead of boiling and it'll become very firm.

I'd live to know if the electric meat slicer thingy works to slice it thin? Let us know the results...
#7 Old 09-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Knead it very well and don't cook it in boiling water; cook it in simmering water.

I'm also interested to know if the meat slicer will slice it thin enough.
#8 Old 09-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Min
Veggie Regular

Will do! I'm simmering it now I think I'm going to simmer a little longer also to see if that might tighten it up a bit. I'm assuming it would slice better chilled so I prob wont know until tomorrow. I tried the store bought deli slices & they tasted so processed not to mention a little pricey. I got it in my head I can do better so im on a mission
#9 Old 09-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Beginner

ahh tofu that sounds like a great idea. baking instead of boiling. i would bet that that would make it taste different. i've never tried that. how exactly would i do that? just plop it in a baking dish?

and i'd buy a meat slicer if it makes a nice "cold cut." sounds very yummy. i agree with the processedness of the deli slices at the store.
#10 Old 09-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Min
Veggie Regular

Ok so my seitan is sliced & in the fridge ready for sandwiches. They aren't perfectly shaped because neither was my loaf to begin with but they sliced really nice & thin. I will make it wider next time so the slices are bigger right now 2 would equal 1 deli slice so its not to bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page