keeping pop tarts fresh - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

After going on a low grain diet from when I started until today I decided to eat more grain products. Pop tarts come in package of 2 but sometimes I only want to eat one. How is a good way to store it? Is it best to store it in its original package a plastic grocery bag etc? How long does an open package of poptarts last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I imagine, since they're full of preservatives, it takes them to go bad. To keep opened ones from going stale, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap.
#3 Old 08-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

what brand do you have? i used to eat Kellog's. and i would only eat one at a time and would put the other one in the opened package back in the box. then i'd eat it the next day, still fresh. so i don't know how long an open package last/stays fresh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Hah, I always only eat one, and I just carefully open the package and then fold the top over it again and put it back (I keep the box on its side, so they're flat--they last longer that way[1]). I never worry about it, it's basically dry food, and they last forever unopened. They're not vacuum sealed or anything, so open ones don't seem to go bad much quicker...but I'm kind of just guessing--never gotten sick though, and I've never seen them grow mold or anything weird. If you're really paranoid you could just fold it over and tape it or something.

[1] Well, not *longer*, but they "bend" if you leave them standing for a long time.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#5 Old 08-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I only bought Kelloggs Poptarts. Thanks for the ideas. I don't have plastic wrap in my house. In the past I usually just ate 2 or tied the left over poptart in a plastic grocery bag.
#6 Old 08-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

My daughter pops her in the freezer. She lives by the commercial that says they're better frozen.
#7 Old 08-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks. I've never thought to put poptarts in the freezer and I haven't seen the commercial. It sounds like it would work.
#8 Old 08-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Banned

Paula Poundstone used to address this in her stand up act.
#9 Old 08-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

my siblings keep opened ones in ziploc baggies.
#10 Old 08-19-2005, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

My 5 year old found a Pop-tart in an opened packge when we were cleaning out cubboards to move earlier this spring... it had to have been an absolutely ancient Poptart because I cannot remember the last time I bought them - but pretty sure it was LAST summer..

Well, she ate it (before asking me - oh lovely!) and has suffered no iff effects...

The moral of this story being: I am sure Poptarts are nondestructable and last forever, wrapped or unwrapped...
#11 Old 08-19-2005, 10:34 AM

What flavor of pop tarts are you guys finding that don't have gelatin or glycerin in them? I miss Pop Tarts.
#12 Old 08-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I don't think I've ever eaten a Pop Tart.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#13 Old 08-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I googled to find out exactly what a pop tart was and found this. http://wiki.ehow.com/Prepare-a-Pop-Tart-Correctly

It gives instructions on how to prepare a pop tart correctly. Under eating tips it suggests this.

Quote:

It is better to cook an even number of pop tarts. If you cook an odd number of pop tarts, one of them will become stale without a bag surrounding it.

I hope this helps.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#14 Old 08-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks. Interesting link kix. I guess a poptart would stay fresh if left in a closed bag.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page