Has ANYONE successfully made vegan marshmallows?? Please? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-18-2005, 02:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Hello everyone,

I am looking for ANYONE who has tried to make vegan marshmallows at home and been successful at it.

There are quite a few vegan marshmallow recipes out there, but when they are reviewed, no one has admitted to being able to successfully make them.

I have tried to make vegan marshmallows once, I think it was using the Andi's recipe, but the mixture didn't even half set, it was just liquid, and didn't even taste that nice anyway.

I live in Australia, getting pagea marshmallows over here is prohibitively expensive (the shipping is actually more than the cost of the packet) and want to make my own.

Can anybody help????

Ahh!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

So I'm guessing that the whole homeade marshmallow thing is an urban myth?

So far I've not found anyone that has made them!

#3 Old 08-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Banned

A lot of people have made them actually, with emes. It appears now that emes isn't vegetarian anyway so, I guess I don't know anyone who has made them without emes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-21-2005, 01:40 AM
Administrator

I've had them before, they're really good. Even though they're on my "to do" list I've never gotten around to making them myself.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 08-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried years ago using agar, but it came out kind of runny.
#6 Old 08-22-2005, 02:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried again on the weekend, the mixture didn't even come out like marsmallow creme.

I used Kojel unflavoured, perhaps it would be a good idea to experiment with varying parts carageenan, locust bean gum and other gums.

I WILL make vegan marshmallows, I WILL!

#7 Old 08-22-2005, 11:20 PM

I've never even had vegan marshmellows. I'd like to get my hands on some though.
#8 Old 08-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunately after the Emes scandal, there seems to be only one vegan marshhmallow on the market!

That's the Pagea Vegan Sweets one, it's avialable from www.veganstore.com.

I run a vegan business called Vegan Revolution here in Australia and we are keen on trying to persuade confectionary makers here to have a go at vegan marshmallows.

We'd rather have a manufacturer make them, but come hell or high water, there will be vegan marshmallows in Australia, even if I have to make them myself!

We have just ordered our first lot of marshmallows from Pangea, but sadly, with the cost of shipping, they are very expensive. The US postal service is defintely the big winner from that exchange!

I'll keep trying though, experimenting in my kitchen and hassling the vegan confectionary makers here to try as well!

sigh....
#9 Old 08-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Silverfire, not sure if you know about http://www.vegano.com.au

They are in Australia, and they import "MALLOW" vegan marshmallows from the USA - they cost $12.50 a packet. I haven't tried them yet!

This is a really great website, they have lots of nice chocolates and other food!
#10 Old 08-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi susykat,

Vegano used to stock Vegan Supreme vegan marshmallows. Unfortunately it looks like the company has gone out of business because it used Emes kosher gel and got caught up in the 'eme's isn't even vegetarian' scandal.

It's such a pity, those marshmallows looked nice, we didn't test them as we thought that $12.50 a bag was a little too much (Vegano wouldn't have made much at all each packet).

I think the listing they have of the marshmallows is that old listing (the product has since been pulled), and the MALLOW is the product code Vegano use for that product.

But thanks anyway!!
#11 Old 08-24-2005, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

nope. I've tried making them, but they were gross and gelatinous. I'd suggest buying the vegan ones for 4 bucks or so (ugh) per bag. *shrug*
#12 Old 08-24-2005, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

he he,

if only it were that simple SP!

$4 American translates to about $5.30 Australian, then times that by two (or sometimes more!) as the shipping to here is outrageous!

So about $10.60 at the very least for us to enjoy vegan marshmallows here in aust!

We aim to change that though!
#13 Old 08-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, in the hot weather, it will become even more difficult as the packets are likley to arrive containing only melted goo!

Man, I REALLY shoudl be doing some work, bludging on my bosses time, so bad...
#14 Old 08-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Man, I REALLY shoudl be doing some work, bludging on my bosses time, so bad...

Hey, you're not bludging, it is IMPERATIVE that you find a vegan marshmallow recipe!!! That's a shame about the marshmallows that Vegano were selling - knew it was probably too good to be true!
#15 Old 08-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Veggie Regular

You know what, I'm a terrible cook when it comes to anything that isn't cake based.

Maybe I shouldn't try and unleash my cooking on the world!

Death by poisoned vegan marshmallow just doesn't seem like a nice way for a vegan to go!

#16 Old 08-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Better than being hit by a truck!!!
#17 Old 08-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

True, as long as you could stuff you face with em before you died!

#18 Old 08-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

p.s. I love dancing emoticons, so hypnotising!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page