Nutritional Yeast vs. Yeast Extract - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok. I bought my first ever jar of Marmite. It was there, and I just threw it in the basket, saying "ahhhh, what'ta heck."

I know you can make fake cheese stuffs with nutritional yeast, and you can add it to all kinds of things to give your food a bit of flavor wallop. (<<< flavor giving a wallop)

Can you use Marmite to do the same thing? It surely packs a punch, but probably doesnt' work quite the same in recipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Beginner

No, you wouldn't use yeast extract the same way - it has a completely different flavor, strong and salty. I use my Marmite in small quantities to season soups, stews, homemade seitan, and gravy. Used judiciously with a bit of soy sauce, it lends a beefy flavor to foods. I like it.
#3 Old 08-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Beginner

To clarify - I thought you were asking if you could use Marmite to make cheeze subs. That's why I said no. But you are correct in thinking that it does add a lot of flavor to recipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

You can use Marmite to give flavor whollops, but you can't use it to make cheeses.

I know as soon as I say that, someone will come along with a Marmite cheese recipe...
#5 Old 05-01-2018, 06:04 AM

is Nutritional yeast the same as yeast extract? thanks
#6 Old 05-01-2018, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Macey View Post
is Nutritional yeast the same as yeast extract? thanks
Nutritional yeast is grown on molasses, or organic sugar beets, then deactivated. It's grown for it's nutritional properties, and flavor, and is often fortified with B12 and folic acid, though many prefer it without the artificial folic acid.
Nutritional yeast- often referred to as nooch, is either yellow- beigey flakes, or powder, and has a nutty, somewhat 'cheesey' taste that can be used in sauces, or subbed for parmasean. Lemon and salt really enhance it's cheesy taste(at least to me)

Yeast extract sounds like Marmite, which---is different. I can't describe the process, but marmite is like a - tarry paste, really salty, kinda bitter- it isn't at all like nooch in taste or nutrients

Brewers yeast is also completely different. Nutritional yeast is specifically grown as a food, brewers yeast is a by product of beer, and does not taste good!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page