Easy Recipes With Tofu - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-07-2005, 09:38 PM

alright well im about to plunge into the world of vegetarianisum.. (still eating milk, honey, eggs ect.. no fish) so i want to start cooking with Tofu to get protein.. what are some simple recipes?? preferably for one person.. because im only 15 and my parents and sister arnt into the idea of eating no meat for dinner.. so i would probobly be cooking a sepreat meal for myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Beginner

ahh yes i am 15 as well. i went vegetarian a little over a year ago now.

i cook for myself and my sister, who is 14 and also vegetarian, all the time. i never cooked before i went veg.

now..there are many different faux-meat style foods. some include tofu, tempeh, and seitan. tofu tends to be the most common i suppose.

anyway, you're going to want to buy firm tofu at the supermarket or whatever. buy the kind that is packed in water. you may not like the taste of tofu, i personally do not. you could try to press it and then freeze it, and marinade it in a yummy sauce you enjoy.

you can really do a ton of things with tofu. you could stirfry it with veggies. you could eat it plain if you wanted to. you can replace it in most recipes wherever it would call for meat. you could look at vegcooking.com and search the recipes for tofu. a variety of recipes with tofu can be found there.
#3 Old 08-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Tofu doesn't really HAVE much of a taste. Or it shouldn't if it's fresh.

The good thing about tofu is that it absorbs the flavors that it's cooked wth.

Also, it has a much better taste and texture in my opinion if you get just a little bit unhealthy and FRY it 'till browned...

You'll get the hang of it after a while - the first times I cooked tofu I couldn't get it to "brown" (lightly) at ALL.

There's so many things to do with it, you should do a search here on VB for starters - I can't think HOW many threads have already been done for tofu...

Crumble some EXTRA FIRM tofu into a non-stick skillit with a bit of oil. Cook on medium high for a while, turn, it should be starting to get a golden brown. Do this several times and it will get dark golden brown all over and crumbly and yummy -

NOW....add whatever seasonings...

--add salsa and you have a taco filler.

--Add BBQ sauce and you have a sandwich filler.

--Add onion, salt, black pepper and nutritional yeast and you have "scrambled tofu" almost like eggs...

--Add veggies and ginger and garlic and soy sauce and make a stir-fry.

--add tomato sauce and seasonings of your choice and make "Slopppy Joes".

(*brain explodes*) - you get the idea here....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

One of my favorites is BBQ Tofu...

Just brown tofu on both sides and stir in sauce!

Couldn't be easier.
#5 Old 08-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieAnne View Post

One of my favorites is BBQ Tofu...

Just brown tofu on both sides and stir in sauce!

Couldn't be easier.

Oh that sounds good. thanks for the idea!
#6 Old 08-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only used tofu in stirfrys so far.

My favorate use for tofu is this though!! https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...d.php?p=986336

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page