what is bubble tea - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it vegan and does it always contain tea or is it a fruit drink?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Here where I live you can get some varieties made with soymilk, for the ones that have dairy...

It's an Asian thing...you can get it big globs of tapioca (called "boba") and...I don't know. It's pretty good but I'm not a big fan of big, black, chewy balls at the bottom of my drinks...

...guess I'm just not aZn enough

Cheers!
#3 Old 07-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

It's vegan as far as I know, though sometimes certain flavors can be milk-based. The bubbles are usually tapioca or something similar - they have a gelatine texture but are plant-based. There are all kinds of flavors, from green tea to chai to mango to mocha to lychee to anything else you can think of. I really love it. You'll have to ask if a flavor is milk-based, but most of the fruit and tea flavors shouldn't be.

ETA:

Here's the boba tea menu from the vegetarian restaurant near my university. Ahhh, that place is heaven!

http://www.bobahouse.com/beverages.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-27-2005, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

It's pretty good but you'd have to specify no dairy. It usually contains tea, but you can find some fruit shake type varieties as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea
#5 Old 07-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

cool! I don't drink tea and don't do dairy so I can't wait to try it . glad they make a fruit varity and maybe they will have soy milk to put in it.
#6 Old 07-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

OMG "Bubble Tea" is the nastiest thing to ever be invented... think: "Thick milky overly-sweet artificially colored and flavored cloudy drink with these murky, blackish globs of tapioca-goo settled in the bottom like so many eyeballs that clog your straw and get stuck in your throat and are the consistancy of snot"

OK - sorry, just my standard "Bubble Tea" rant...

If you like it, that's great. Ignore me.
#7 Old 07-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Banned

i never get the milk tea kinds, i always get the kinds that are a fruit slush. they're my favorite. i wouldn't know about the murky bit but i LOVE the fruit slush with boba. oh my god. best thing in the world. dkajhfldsaj. the tapioca balls dont bother me, ?I dont think they're too gummy or anything, they're just heavenly...
#8 Old 07-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooooh, I love soy bubble tea. It comes in all kinds of flavours, and I don't mind munching on the goo-balls from the bottom.
#9 Old 07-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Banned

my favorite is when you get a really icy drink and then at the end you get the tapioca balls that had been sitting in the ice and are cold and partially frozen....ahhhhhhh........
#10 Old 07-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I love that it takes a long time to drink (eat), too. The tapioca balls are kind of a treat for me and are fun to suck and chew when shopping or doing whatever it is you are doing.
#11 Old 07-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Banned

There are a couple places around here that do bubble tea and bagel sandwiches, and they have mock meats for the sandwiches. I just realized a few weeks ago that one was across the street after hearing about another in a suburb.

IME, most bubble tea places offer soy when applicable.
#12 Old 07-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmm... boba. Boba makes up a large percentage of my diet.

I think the vegan issue has been cleared up, but just in case -- the boba itself is almost always vegan, but sometimes it's sweetened with honey or sugars that *may* have been filtered through bone char, if you're picky. The type of tea you put in is up to you, though usually it's milk tea.

I've never heard it called bubble tea, but that makes sense.

My sister and I made my dad try it with chai tea (he'd never had either) and his response was:

"Uh... yay, cinnamon flavored tea with balls of snot."

He wasn't impressed.
#13 Old 07-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by porvida View Post

my favorite is when you get a really icy drink and then at the end you get the tapioca balls that had been sitting in the ice and are cold and partially frozen....ahhhhhhh........

YES YES YES!! OMG yummmmmmy.

I always get coconut flavor. I have not tried any other flavor, actually.
#14 Old 07-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

so I was totally thinking the exact same question today. Maybe it is the heat. I was wondering about the other jellies you can get in it if you dont get tapioca, does anyone know what those are made of?
#15 Old 07-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrykat View Post

Is it vegan and does it always contain tea or is it a fruit drink?

The bubbles (or boba) themselves are vegan. They're made from tapioca. There are dairy-free and tea-free varieties. I think they're great. There's several places around here that serve them. The place I usually get them from has several fruit flavors. If you tried them from a place that serves the boba with a fruit shake made with condensed milk, you can usually ask them to use soymilk instead of the condensed milk.
#16 Old 07-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynesh View Post

so I was totally thinking the exact same question today. Maybe it is the heat. I was wondering about the other jellies you can get in it if you dont get tapioca, does anyone know what those are made of?

Jellied fruit juice typically, coconut seems popular. Assuming everything is authentic they should be gelled with agar and not gelatin but I would ask personally.
#17 Old 07-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I've seen choobeee and coconut jelly in addition to tapioca pearls.
#18 Old 07-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I love it. My favourite is mango flavoured green iced tea with the tapioca pearls. They had the best ones in Singapore for $1. Here, its like $4 to get one with bubbles...

I thought they were weird at first, but they've definatly become a favourite (I don't like the taro milk though, or the jelly cubes). The tapioca pearls taste like brown sugar.
#19 Old 07-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't like the jelly cubes, either. One of my favorite desserts is coconut milk, small tapioca balls and sugar on crushed ice, but the last time I had it they messed it up by adding those little fruit jellies. I should really just make my own.
#20 Old 07-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I've tried, but I've found it one of those things that it's better for me to leave to the professionals.

If not for any other reason than the fact I like the sealed cups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page