asparagus - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

So I am trying to expand my vegetable likes and I bought some asparagus, but then I realized I have no idea what you do with them. Please help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Steamed asparagus is amazing. I like melted margarine over them. My mother makes a hollandaise sauce to pour over them. I'm not sure if you're vegan, but I'm sure it's easily veganized.
#3 Old 07-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Banned

Lightly tossed with olive oil, grilled and sprinkled with fleur de sel is my preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to think I didn't like asparagus. Now I like it, but not steamed. I think steaming is an un-tasty thing to do to a vegetable.

What I like to do is blanch and shock my veggies and it works really well for asparagus. Just bring some salted water to a boil, then add your asparagus and cook for about 2 minutes. Then take them out and plunge them in ice water to stop the cooking.

Perfectly tender-crisp! Then top with a tasty sauce and you're good to go.
#5 Old 07-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Whenever I go to a certain Japanese restaurant, I always get the sauteed asparagus listed in the appetizers section. They cook it with soy sauce and ginger and it's to die for. I will have to find out exactly how they do it the next time I'm there.

You can do that.

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 07-16-2005, 04:11 PM

I like to broil my asparagus. I drizzle the stalks with olive oil, sprinkle on some chili powder and a little salt, and put under the broiler for about five minutes.
#7 Old 07-16-2005, 05:53 PM

Another vote for grilling/broiling them. I have also sauteed them with other vegetables for some delicious pasta and I frequently use them in stir fries (by the way check out the sichuan style asparagus at P F Changs ).
#8 Old 07-17-2005, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Fry em in olive oil, and right before they're done add some sea salt
#9 Old 07-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I am all for sauteeing them like I do other veggies. Quick & easy.
#10 Old 07-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

The very ends of the stalks are woody, so you will want to cut them off. Chefs generally advise that you grab the asparagus stem and snap it--this will leave only tender stalk. If you use trimmings for soups or juices or whatnot, this is fine; but otherwise, I get sad seeing so much stalk go to waste, so I just cut them.
#11 Old 07-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I like steaming (healthy method) or wrapping them up in tin foil with amble olive oil, herbs, and red pepper (less healthy method) and throwing them in the oven. We often then end up serving them over pasta or chilling them and eating them as a cold side dish.
#12 Old 07-18-2005, 07:11 PM

I must be a freak.

I pop mine in the microwave for 2-3 minutes with a tablespoon of water, and then eat plain - sometimes with a dash of salt.
#13 Old 07-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the ideas. I figured it out and they were delicious perhaps I really do love them. The same thing happened to me with endamame.
#14 Old 07-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Not at all healthy, but oh so good.... asparagus tacos!

Corn tortilla with an asparagus stalk laid in it, assorted other veggies on top of that, fry until delicious.

You could use pre-made shells but, why would you want to?
#15 Old 07-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Sautee with fresh garlic and ginger and olive oil.... ahhhhhh..... best stuff ever...
#16 Old 07-28-2005, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPumpkinhead View Post

I must be a freak.

I pop mine in the microwave for 2-3 minutes with a tablespoon of water, and then eat plain - sometimes with a dash of salt.

Not so - I do that with my veggies too! Yum . I used to eat them like that in the morning for breakfast. Now, thats weird, but sooo good.
#17 Old 07-28-2005, 02:50 PM

I usually toss in EVOO (olive oil) add whatever spices, herbs and mix around put under broiler for 5 mins. or the are good on the BBQ on a skewer with other veggies.
#18 Old 08-01-2005, 06:16 PM

I'm probably a freak, too - I put it in cold water and bring it to a boil, and boil for a little bit, and then eat it with soy sauce. I actually like the stems better than the tips, too. Call me weird.
#19 Old 08-03-2005, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Just a simple method: Throw a hadfull of sesame seeds into a pan and toast them until they're a bit brownish, throw in your prepared (hard bits removed) wet asparagus, toss to coat with the seeds, and cook it just until heated through. Add salt as desired. Most green veggies are good this way.

Also, don't buy any asparagus thicker than your little finger.
#20 Old 08-04-2005, 03:34 AM
Banned

I could be alone, but I really don't like asparagus at all.

ebola
#21 Old 08-04-2005, 07:18 AM

Jaynesh, I know you already cooked & ate yours, but here's a yummy way to do asparagus:

Either blanch the asparagus (cook it briefly in boiling water) or steam it lightly. Then quickly submerge it in ice water, to stop it from overcooking. Drain, pat dry with paper towels. Spread asparagus on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Greek seasoning (I use a blend from a local store; Cavender's is also good.) Roast in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes.

I'm not crazy about asparagus, but I love it this way. It's good for company because you can blanch it ahead of time, and roast it just before serving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page