Spicy tofu - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Does anybody have any recipies? I want to bake some tofu to put ontop of my salads to make them more filling. What would you maranade with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I actually just did this for the 1st time this weekend. I actually marinated w/ soy sauce, molasses, garlic & parsley & then I baked it. It was yummy.
#3 Old 07-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Spicy Thai Peanut sauce/schezuan sauce/red chili garlic sauce + tamari/a diluted red/green curry paste (perhaps diluted with soy or coconut milk?)

Um...you could do OJ, chili powder, garlic powder, fresh jalepenos, green onion, a little salt, and...

Well, that's all I have

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Beginner

For those of you baking your tofu,how long do you bake it for and at what temperature?

I want to start making my own because the white wave marinated tofu is kind of expensive,it's about $4 a pack here.
#5 Old 07-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie View Post

For those of you baking your tofu,how long do you bake it for and at what temperature?

I want to start making my own because the white wave marinated tofu is kind of expensive,it's about $4 a pack here.

350 and until it is done, maybe 40 minutes.

For spicy I would probably do.

I don't have an oven, but I once wanted to use the following marinated for baked tofu.

Tablespoon each sherry, chili garlic paste and soy sauce. Teaspoon each sugar, chopped garlic, chopped ginger, and red pepper flakes. Two tablespoons of peanut or cashew butter. Combine everything in blender until smooth, marinate several hours or overnight, bake.

This is by no means tried and true.
#6 Old 07-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Depending on how much liquid, until it soaks it all up around 20-30 min.
#7 Old 07-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Marinating with OJ actually tastes good? Hmm... maybe I'll try that since I have OJ in the fridge.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
#8 Old 07-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSwab View Post

Marinating with OJ actually tastes good? Hmm... maybe I'll try that since I have OJ in the fridge.

I do not believe conditions exist under which OJ is not good.
#9 Old 07-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

My store/cafe makes buffalo tofu by deep frying the tofu for a few minutes and then stirring it around in a mix of Earth Balance and Frank's Original Red Hot. I LOVE it.
#10 Old 07-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSwab View Post

I would recommend reducing it first, along with the spices...boil the oj/spices to about 1/2 so they have time to 'meld' together...then you could cool the mixture (entirely optional I'd imagined) and go from there with your soy slabs

Cheers!

ETA: I have a Caribbean-Jerk tofu recipe in the recipe section if you need some help with measurements/spices...I also add ginger/raisins to my mix.
#11 Old 07-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by April View Post

My store/cafe makes buffalo tofu by deep frying the tofu for a few minutes and then stirring it around in a mix of Earth Balance and Frank's Original Red Hot. I LOVE it.

OMG! This sounds gooooood!
#12 Old 07-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Beginner

just wanted to add that I used soy sauce,ginger,garlic,chili paste and a bit of sugar;it came out quite nice

I'll try the OJ and peanut butter marinades for the second batch.
#13 Old 07-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Min
Veggie Regular

Everytime I marinate tofu it comes out spongy/soggy. Is it better to marinate tofu that hasnt been frozen I was thinking maybe that was the prob.
#14 Old 07-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Gawd, everytime I see this subject line, I crave spicy tofu. There is this cute chinese place near my friend's place that makes the BEST fried spicy tofu. Mmmmmm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page