Help! Need Simple Meal Suggestions - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

My husband and I, along with his brother and his brothers wife, will be spending the next several weekends doing major renovations on my MILs home. Because there is so much work to do, and so little time, we dont have a lot of time to stop and prepare meals (which has proven to disrupt the momentum). Ive been preparing meals on Fridays before we head to MILs for the weekend. On previous weekends Ive prepared pasta salad and bean salad. Avocado sandwiches and smoothies have proven to be quick thing to prepare on the spot as well.

But Im in need of more ideas, particularly quick and nutritious high energy grab-and-go foods. Keep in mind that the assembled meals preferable dont need to be heated (which means they must taste great cold) and need to be able to sit in the fridge (or cooler) for up to three days without getting soggy or gross, and feed a group of 5-6. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Beanie-weenies!!

I would eat that cold...vegetarian baked beans with jumbo tofu dogs sliced up in them...

What about more sandwiches? Just put the lunch "meat" or whatever in the cooler...you could have pita/hummus pockets and have some veggies in or out of the cooler (I'm thinking cukes and tomatoes and sprouts?)...

Since you cook a *little* on Friday's...I make a spicy Thai-peanut Tempeh...cut up tempeh into chunks...1" x 1" or so...mix peanut sauce, schezuan sauce, garlic, and a little soymilk to get a smooth consistancy (but still has ability to coat the tempeh)...coat the tempeh, stick on skewers and bake in the oven 'til hot...they're good hot but I've come to find they taste great cold as well...maybe over some lettuce

Hope those ideas help!

Cheers!
#3 Old 07-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

psuedo_vegan, thanks for your suggestions. I'm not really into the fake meat, but the hummus/veggie pitas would work great, as would the Thai-peanut Tempeh. My hubby suggested something similar, but I wasn't sure how it would be cold. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Administrator

One of my favorite quick and easy meals...

http://vegweb.com/recipes/soup/1027.shtml

I've made some changes to it but haven't had time to write up the new recipe. I'm also adding a can of chili beans, a can of cannellini beans, a can of sliced mushrooms, and sautee a green pepper in with the onions and jalapeno.

I'm not sure but you could probably sautee the veggies and place them in a seperate container until you're ready to heat the rest (to keep them from getting soggy).

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 07-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Michael, that sounds delicious. That's a keeper!
#6 Old 07-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Administrator

If you make it as listed it's pretty hot. Probably not the best thing for when you're doing hard labor. I forgot to mention I also add a 2nd can of tomatoes. So between the extra beans and tomatoes it gets it down to a tolerable level. And if you add crackers it would probably be even better.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 07-07-2005, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Wraps. Get those sexy spinach or sundried tomato wraps, and go to town. Combo ideas:

Mediterranean-

Hummus, black olive paste, artichoke hearts, red pepper, cucumber, tomato, and vinaigrette, such as Drew's Goddess dressing

Asian-

Tempeh or TVP, sea vegetables (like nori), greens, cabbage, carrot, bean sprouts, and veganaise/ginger puree (or suitable dressing)

I frequently make up wraps for the week, and they get better after stewing in the fridge - let the marinade, marinade, ya know?
#8 Old 07-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Pasta salad. The recipe options are limitless...
#9 Old 07-08-2005, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

CharityAJO - I didn't even think of wraps! I often prepare them Mediterranean style, but I never thought about Asian. I like that idea.Thanks!

Cinnamon toast - Pasta salad is an excellent idea. In my OP I mentioned that I've prepared this on previous weekends, but it may be a good idea for future weekends. I usually prepare mine with tomatoes, cukes, olives and shredded carrots dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. How else do you prepare it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page