VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   Pepper Hater (foods you hate) (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/36053-pepper-hater-foods-you-hate.html)

nkace 07-01-2005 08:21 AM

Alrighty, so many times there's lots of talk about favorites. What about things that make you go, yuck?

I hate peppers. Yes, I admit it & damn proud of it. I don't care what color, kind, brand, or whatever, I think they have an awful taste w/ an even worse smell that is totally overbearing.

So what vegetable or fruit (is that even possible?) do you despise?

CaptainSwab 07-01-2005 08:23 AM

tomatos. Blah. I'm okay with maraniara sauce and tomato soup and things like that but I can't handle tomato chunks.

missleigh 07-01-2005 08:28 AM

Eggplant. I find them repulsive, even whirled up in baba ganush.

xrodolfox 07-01-2005 08:32 AM

spicy foods.

Why oh why do people think that veg*ns all love spicy foods? Damn fool, you make the foods innacessible just because you've burnt away your taste buds! :angry:

Christy 07-01-2005 08:32 AM

I've tried to like peppers and just...can't. Squash and tomatoes are especially offensive to me.

Kimberly 07-01-2005 08:46 AM

I don't have one. I used to hate olives, and it didn't matter what kind they were, I would gag on them. But over the past few months I have developed a taste for them. I still don't pop a whole one into my mouth (ugh), but I make tapenade and include them in salads or on pizza or in sandwiches.

borealis 07-01-2005 08:59 AM

Coconut. If I accidently eat something with coconut, I have to spit it out.

It's so horrid. Even the smell of it in suntan lotion makes me nauseous.

nkace 07-01-2005 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrodolfox View Post

spicy foods.

Why oh why do people think that veg*ns all love spicy foods? Damn fool, you make the foods innacessible just because you've burnt away your taste buds! :angry:

I would SO TOTALLY have to agree w/ this one. I hate spicy food. My friend once told me we have very sensistive taste buds.

Christy 07-01-2005 09:23 AM

I agree about coconut. It's the texture that I find repulsive, even on German chocolate cake.

nkace 07-01-2005 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy View Post

I agree about coconut. It's the texture that I find repulsive, even on German chocolate cake.

I also dislike coconut in my desserts but love pina coladas or the flavor in my rum drinks.

borealis 07-01-2005 09:38 AM

German chocolate cake... *shudder* *shudder*

Jinga 07-01-2005 09:49 AM

Most of my least favorites have been mentioned.

Blech to all of the below:

- Mushrooms

- Olives

- Coconut

Rani 07-01-2005 09:57 AM

Brussel sprouts. Bleh!

Black eyed peas. Just doesn't agree with me.

Papaya

Amy SF 07-01-2005 09:59 AM

Brussels sprouts. Despite my sister's insistence that they can be made edible, I say NO! NO! NO! to Brussels sprouts.

Also Lima beans.

Amy SF 07-01-2005 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrodolfox View Post

spicy foods.

OMG! I thought I was the only one! I was raised by a mother who cannot handle spicy food, so I never had it growing up, and I can't handle spicy food, either. Almost EVERYTHING on restaurant menus, almost EVERYTHING I buy in the store is too spicy for me. I ALWAYS have to ask restaurants to make my order as mild as possible.

SystmDwnGrl2 07-01-2005 10:35 AM

I am with missleigh on the whole eggplant thing. Nasty nasty stuff...blech.

missleigh 07-01-2005 11:41 AM

Oh, I really hate peas also. If I eat one of those vegan pot pies from Amy's, I'll end up with a little pile of peas on my plate.

remilard 07-01-2005 12:13 PM

Raisins

pseudo_vegan 07-01-2005 12:18 PM

Celery. Most worthless. vegetable. ever.

And I'm not usually too keen on raw tomatoes

C.

SeaSiren 07-01-2005 12:23 PM

beets

MEM 07-01-2005 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_vegan View Post

Celery. Most worthless. vegetable. ever.

And I'm not usually too keen on raw tomatoes

C.

gotta agree with you on celery.

I'll eat it if I have to, but tend to leave it out of recipies, since they only call for 1 or 2 stalks and the rest rots in the veggie bin.

Also, fresh cilantro. It will make me queasy. Haven't been able to eat it since I bought a black bean burrito that tried to use it as an alternative to lettuce.

4EverGrounded 07-01-2005 02:11 PM

ewwwww... ick!

I like cilantro but not as an alternative to lettuce. That's just.... eww.

I can't handle black eyed peas, bell pepper (I can sorta stand orange and red, but that's about it), just about all melons, mango and anything that tastes of licorice like star anise or fennel.

All this gag-food talk is making me want to brush my teeth with boiling bleach right now....

anthony11 07-01-2005 02:29 PM

Mushrooms, olives, brussel sprouts, okra.

auggie 07-01-2005 02:42 PM

Celery.

Also lima beans and water chestnuts.

KimberlyNYC 07-01-2005 02:47 PM

Celery and artichoke.

CarbLover 07-01-2005 03:42 PM

Mushrooms...I think it's the slimyness. The smell of portobellos is really disgusting also.

Leafy greens...I am very sensitive to bitter tastes. I can eat romaine and iceberg lettuce, and that's about the only leafy green thing that doesn't make me gag.

ynaffit 07-01-2005 03:50 PM

coconut and butternut squash, though i eat thai curries with coconut milk and soup blended with butternut squash. avocados when plain, too, yet i love sufficiently limey guacamole. most nuts. cooked carrots and cooked beets.

tearhsong2 07-01-2005 04:05 PM

Tomatoes in salad or the chunks of tomato in a tomato sauce. I always pick them out.

Olives. Yuck.

Lima beans.

Canned peas and canned green beans (fresh or frozen ones that aren't cooked to mush are quite tasty, though).

Shiitake mushrooms. It's the texture that kills it for me.

Katt Fink 07-01-2005 04:39 PM

another vote for cilantro. Most foods I simply dislike (raw tomato, celery), I can still force myself to tolerate them for the nutrition, etc.. but the if there's the tiniest bit of cilantro in anything, it's all I can taste and I just can't eat it. Totally annihilates every other flavor, and tastes like chemicals or plastic to me. yick.. gives me the chills just thinking about it. This problem has created for me a terribly distressing love/hate relationship with Indian food.

porvida 07-01-2005 05:00 PM

i HATE mushrooms. their texture is spongy and gross....and they taste like dirt. they really disgust me. i WISH I liked them but I can't make myself do it. most of the stuff mentioned I like though...celery, artichokes, olives, etc.