Tofu Scramble: Does it remind you of eggs? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

The only time I ate tofu scramble, it was from a package. I don't know what a homemade version will taste like because I'm a little hesitant since the packaged kind tasted really gross. Does anyone like tofu scramble? I really like eggs, but I'm trying to transition to veganism again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2005, 07:25 AM
Baby Love

The only time I've had a tofu scramble was when Buddha (and Mouse?) cooked breakfast for us VBers. It was excellent!! I've never tried the boxed variety.
#3 Old 06-21-2005, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

i make it. doesn't remind me of eggs (except without close observation it looks like scrambled eggs), which is good because eggs make me throw up.

it IS good tho (also don't know about the boxed version). make it--it's cheap and easy so if you don't like it you haven't wasted much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-21-2005, 07:52 AM

I think tofu scramble is delicious, but it doesn't really taste like eggs to me. Which is a good thing for me, because the taste of eggs always kind of squicked me out. But scramble is good in it's own way.
#5 Old 06-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

They stopped selling the brand I liked and I bought the boxed variety -- it was quite possibly the nastiest thing I've ever tasted. I couldn't eat more than two bites.

I like the TofuMate packets, if you can find them. They don't taste like eggs (like someone else said, that would defeat the purpose -- I hate eggs), but they do taste really, really good.
#6 Old 06-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Banned

On occasion, I make a homemade tofu scramble w/ sesame oil and some greens. It kinda tastes egg-like, but I wouldn't say it tastes like egg. When I mix egg into the tofu scramble, I can definately tell the difference between them.
#7 Old 06-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Banned

You're not gonna get the same flavor or texture for scrambled eggs using tofu. But tofu scrambles DO taste good, if you do them right.
#8 Old 06-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, I bought a box of the mix made by Fantastic. Is this the kind that is gross?
#9 Old 06-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTChick01 View Post

Ok, I bought a box of the mix made by Fantastic. Is this the kind that is gross?

Oh yeah... that's the stuff I had to throw out. Ewww!! Try something else, or try making it from scratch. It really can be good.
#10 Old 06-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Beginner

I think there was a thread here recently in which someone recommended using Indian black salt in tofu dishes to capture that eggy flavor. I managed to find some black salt (it's pink actually), and boy, did it work! I almost couldn't eat my tofu scramble, it was so eggy. I think it also helps to use green onions and vegan mayo in your tofu scramble -- mine had black salt, lots of green onions, and Vegenaise (for a creamy, fluffy texture). Tasted *just* like scrambled eggs.
#11 Old 06-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I have always hated eggs, so I would say that tofu scramble serves the FUNCTION of eggs in a breakfast...warm, yellowy [w/turmeric], soft, w/veggies [at least in my scramble]...without the sulfur smell and nauseating texture. I realize there are some egg fans out there and I mean no disrespect but I can't abide them. Yet I love tofu scramble. Hmmmm...
#12 Old 06-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Banned

I make my own tofu scramble. I drain a box of firm tofu really well, scramble, and add soyrizo and cook until all of the ingredients are hot, and wrap them in a whole wheat tortilla. It doesn't taste a lot like eggs, but I've found I like it better.
#13 Old 06-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

It reminds me of eggs, but I don't find it tastes like eggs. I make it myself, adding chopped bell peppers and other vegetables that taste good chopped up in a frying pan, and have it with ketchup. I like it better than eggs, personally.
#14 Old 06-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

mine tastes eggy, (as far as i remember eggs tasting, anyway - it's been eight years since i ate them!). i heat a good quantity of oil in a skillet, add some med firm tofu (not crumbled too much because it will continue to break apart as you cook it), and cook for a while until it's slightly browned, stirring frequently. i then add a good amount of nutritional yeast (maybe 1/3 cup for every pound of tofu), some poultry seasoning, salt, black pepper, and a couple of dashes of apple cider vinegar. i cook this over med-high heat until it's slightly drier (but not too dry!) and eat like scrambled eggs. you can, of course, add veggies, or veg*n ham or bacon, or veg*n cheeze, all those enhance it for sure. another thing i really like to do is cook it up this way, then chill it, and mix it with vegenaise, for the most convincing tofu "egg salad" ever.
#15 Old 06-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

I make my own tofu scramble. I drain a box of firm tofu really well, scramble, and add soyrizo and cook until all of the ingredients are hot, and wrap them in a whole wheat tortilla. It doesn't taste a lot like eggs, but I've found I like it better.

YAY! I do the exact same thing!! Sometimes add some green chiles or salsa... maybe fried potatos if I'm especially ambitious!

If I'm really going for more of that "eggy" taste - and really I'm not a huge fan, but I have friends that are - I do use the India Black Salt (as suggested above) it has a great taste and really does add 'something' to the tofu scramble...

My kids like it when I "scramble" tofu with nutritional yeast, black pepper and just a teeny bit of vegetarian "chicken-style" bullion.

Personally I think the boxed stuff would be NAS-TAY... making it from scratch is so easy and cheap - give it a try!!
#16 Old 06-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

YAY! I do the exact same thing!! Sometimes add some green chiles or salsa... maybe fried potatos if I'm especially ambitious!

If I'm really going for more of that "eggy" taste - and really I'm not a huge fan, but I have friends that are - I do use the India Black Salt (as suggested above) it has a great taste and really does add 'something' to the tofu scramble...

My kids like it when I "scramble" tofu with nutritional yeast, black pepper and just a teeny bit of vegetarian "chicken-style" bullion.

Personally I think the boxed stuff would be NAS-TAY... making it from scratch is so easy and cheap - give it a try!!

Mmmmm! Nutritional yeast tofu scramble. I've never thought of that. That has to taste out of this world! Is it like cheese eggs?
#17 Old 06-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

Mmmmm! Nutritional yeast tofu scramble. I've never thought of that. That has to taste out of this world! Is it like cheese eggs?

It is a bit 'cheesy' - and yes, SOOOO YUMMY!!!
#18 Old 06-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, all these great yummy ideas! Thanks so much!
#19 Old 06-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

It is a bit 'cheesy' - and yes, SOOOO YUMMY!!!

I'm going to try to coat the inside of a tortilla w/nutritional "Cheese" sauce and add the scrambled tofu.
#20 Old 06-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Mine doesn't remind me of eggs, but the smell of eggs makes me a little queasy now. I use a lot of veggies in mine, nutri-yeast, assorted spices. I think the trick is to make sure that the tofu is well-drained.

I will have to try that India Black salt thing, though. That way, maybe I can get hubby to eat it too.
#21 Old 06-21-2005, 02:28 PM

Tofu scramble doesnt taste like eggs to me. Then again, I never really cared for scrambled eggs. I just scramble some drained tofu with a lil oil, add onion, peppers, tomato and potato and put in a chile flavored tortilla. Hits the spot.
#22 Old 06-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think it tastes like eggs, but it occupies the same niche as eggs for me.

I think spaghetti squash with salt and pepper tastes a LOT like eggs.
#23 Old 06-21-2005, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggirlie View Post

I think there was a thread here recently in which someone recommended using Indian black salt in tofu dishes to capture that eggy flavor. I managed to find some black salt (it's pink actually), and boy, did it work! I almost couldn't eat my tofu scramble, it was so eggy. I think it also helps to use green onions and vegan mayo in your tofu scramble -- mine had black salt, lots of green onions, and Vegenaise (for a creamy, fluffy texture). Tasted *just* like scrambled eggs.

That sounds really good. What are the approximate amounts you used?
#24 Old 06-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavenderskies View Post

That sounds really good. What are the approximate amounts you used?

1 block tofu, small handful of chopped green onions, about 3/4 tbsp Vegenaise thinned with some water, black salt and pepper to taste, and a tiny dash of turmeric. I also added some chopped peppers and sliced Tofurky Italian sausage (I fried the green onions, peppers, and sausage in the pan before adding the tofu and other ingredients). Delicious, if a bit too realistic.

I think nutritional yeast would be a fabulous addition to this.
#25 Old 06-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast burritos - scrambled tofu with onions, tomatoes, peppers, cumin, a little chili powder, salt & pepper. Top with salsa, sour cream alternative, veggie cheese. Serve on warm ww tortillas. Delicious and great for a brunch table.

Scrambled tofu gives you the idea of scrambled eggs and all the accompaniments make the dish.
#26 Old 06-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Min
Veggie Regular

In case anyone is interested & cant buy this at their local health food store this is where I have found the India black salt heres a link. I know I called my health food store & they told me their black salt was green & unedible so I guess ill be ordering it myself.

Gourmet Slouth
#27 Old 06-21-2005, 10:29 PM

if you want to acheive a more egg-like consistancy you can freeze firm tofu over night (or up to 3 days?), thaw and SQUEEZE ALL the water out. i have fooled my egg loving fiance, and i think it was more the consistancy than taste to be honest. the key (for me anyway) is lots of veggies, garlic, tumeric, cumin, salsa-sauted in sesame oil...all wrapped up in a tortilla. im not vegan, but i find this to be a great alternative to eggs.
#28 Old 06-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, I love thawed frozen tofu, but I think that, if anything, it makes the texture far LESS like eggs. I don't remember eggs being chewy and meaty.
#29 Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Banned

Perhaps you all have different tastebuds then me, or you don't eat as many eggs as me...but none of these things taste like eggs
#30 Old 06-22-2005, 12:10 AM

i was able to crumble it up so that is looked like eggs and did have that texture to me. i dont know though, maybe the kind of tofu i used? i guess the bottom line is tofu does not taste like eggs, there i said it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page