Linda's General Tso's Tofu - My first Tofu. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi guys!

I finally did it! After being Vegetarian for almost one month, I have finally prepared my very first vegetarian dish. I don't mean regular recipes where you skip the meat, I actually cooked with Tofu! Yay! I tried posting the pic, but it seems I've used up all my allotted space?!

Anyway, here's the link to the pic:

http://home.ripway.com/2004-8/152345...alTsosTofu.JPG

Sorry the pic is kinda dark, I took the pic on my back deck at around 7PM. It's firm tofu, broccoli, onions, petite carrots and Iron Chef's General Tso's Sauce and Glaze.

The tofu was too soft for me, so next time I'll use extra firm. Maybe cooking longer will make it more solid? I could always try TVP next time. Also, the tofu should have marinated a little longer, but otherwise was pretty good for my first try.

Edited to correct spelling. Ugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

mmmm....yummy!
#3 Old 06-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

They tofu would be firmer on the outside atleast if you cook it without a whole bunch of the liquid to brown it a little, and then add the rest of the sauce.

Looks good though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Min
Veggie Regular

It does look yummy! Good job
#5 Old 06-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

*Licks screen*

I just had like the same thing for dinner ha

Yay! On your first 'Fu experience.
#6 Old 06-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

They tofu would be firmer on the outside atleast if you cook it without a whole bunch of the liquid to brown it a little, and then add the rest of the sauce

Oh cool, thanks. I'll try that. Can leftover tofu be reheated? Is so, I'll brown it first and see if that helps. Plus it's still in the sauce so it should actually taste like something by then.
#7 Old 06-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sure you could reheat leftover tofu. If you are trying to brown it, make sure your pan is nice and hot. Good luck
#8 Old 06-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Congrats! Looks tasty.

For next time: I sometimes like to toss my tofu in a little bit of soy sauce/cornstarch slurry and then pan-fry in a little oil before I add it to a stir-fry or similar dish. It gets a nicer outside and it adds some good flavor, too.
#9 Old 06-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Mmmmmm, looks delicous! Were the veggies fresh or a mix you buy at the store?

I've been a veg*n for almost a year now and I have yet to make something with tofu.
#10 Old 06-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTChick01 View Post

Mmmmmm, looks delicous! Were the veggies fresh or a mix you buy at the store?

I've been a veg*n for almost a year now and I have yet to make something with tofu.

The veggies were fresh.
#11 Old 06-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

YAY on your first Tofu cooking! Looks GOOD! (And as resident Tofu Princess, I compliment you on a job well done..)

As others suggested, there are ways to make the tofu more "firm" - the first (though not so healthy) is to fry in oil in a non-stick pan (I use my wok) till it's yummy and browned.. the second suggestion, as listed above, is the cornstarch/soysauce mix - it makes a nice gooey brownness on the outside of the tofu and it does seem to get firmer too... cooking longer in the sauce will flavor it more, but won't make it any firmer - marinating ahead of time can help w/ flavor too..

Tofu's actually pretty easy to work with once you jump in and try it...

Have you tried some fresh ginger and crushed garlic in your veggies and tofu? Easy additions that TOTALLY make the flavor explode!! A friend suggested leeks instead of onions and I am totally hooked on those now too... not critisizing your dish - it looks and sounds PERFECT - just throwing ideas out for next time...

PM me if you want any tofu recipes, I have tons!
#12 Old 06-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I've tried that Iron Chef General Tso's Sauce before too...it is yummy.
#13 Old 06-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

As others suggested, there are ways to make the tofu more "firm" - the first (though not so healthy) is to fry in oil in a non-stick pan (I use my wok) till it's yummy and browned.. the second suggestion, as listed above, is the cornstarch/soysauce mix - it makes a nice gooey brownness on the outside of the tofu and it does seem to get firmer too... cooking longer in the sauce will flavor it more, but won't make it any firmer - marinating ahead of time can help w/ flavor too..

Also freezing overnight then de-thawhing is a great method to make it a bit "meatier"
#14 Old 06-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Congrats! Looks tasty.

For next time: I sometimes like to toss my tofu in a little bit of soy sauce/cornstarch slurry...

That's sounds good. How do you do that?
#15 Old 06-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

YAY on your first Tofu cooking! Looks GOOD! (And as resident Tofu Princess, I compliment you on a job well done..)

Tofu's actually pretty easy to work with once you jump in and try it...

Have you tried some fresh ginger and crushed garlic in your veggies and tofu? Easy additions that TOTALLY make the flavor explode!! A friend suggested leeks instead of onions and I am totally hooked on those now too... not critisizing your dish - it looks and sounds PERFECT - just throwing ideas out for next time...

PM me if you want any tofu recipes, I have tons!

Thanks for the suggestions! You just may be hearing from me via PM for some recipes.
#16 Old 06-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by missleigh View Post

Oh, I've tried that Iron Chef General Tso's Sauce before too...it is yummy.

I love it!
#17 Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

I'm sure you could reheat leftover tofu. If you are trying to brown it, make sure your pan is nice and hot. Good luck

Thanks for the advise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page