Do you like Quorn? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Do you like Quorn products?
Love 'em. 1 100.00%
Hate 'em. 0 0%
Eh, they're okay. 0 0%
What are they? 0 0%
Other. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I recently discovered Quorn products after my decision to try to stay from soy products because of allergies. I know I really should eat more whole, unprocessed foods, but Quorn is for the times I need convenience? What do you think of Quorn products?

http://www.quorn.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Except I can't eat Quorn anymore because the States' version has egg-whites in them...

Cheers.
#3 Old 05-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quorn is OK. I have it about once a week. I couldn't eat it any more than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, I'll bite. What is Quorn?
#5 Old 05-20-2005, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish Quorn was vegan. It's quite the prevalent product. I've never had it before, so I'm not sure that I'd like it, but it looks good and comes in many styles.
#6 Old 05-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

I wish Quorn was vegan. It's quite the prevalent product. I've never had it before, so I'm not sure that I'd like it, but it looks good and comes in many styles.

I read somewhere that over in the UK, their "version" doesn't use egg-whites...perhaps that's changed now...

But if you're ever biking over there, it'd be worth a shot to seek some out

Cheers.
#7 Old 05-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Baby Love

I voted other, as there was no ... 'I know what you're talk about, but have never had the desire to try the stuff' option
#8 Old 05-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Banned

Some of it is quite good. Their roast is the best by far, much better than tofurkey (though sadly, not vegan.) I prefer nuggets and patties from other companies.
#9 Old 05-20-2005, 12:30 PM

I'd like to try it , don't think it's in Canada yet though.
#10 Old 05-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I SWEAR when I first looked at the thread title I thought it said "Do you like the Queen?"

She's OK, I guess, but those hats have got to go.

I've had the roast at Thanksgiving and liked it more than the Tofurkey. I don't care for the patties or Quorn dogs, though.

*this space not for sale*
#11 Old 05-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Beginner

Love them. There's nothing you can't do with quorn! Ground corn makes awesome lasagna and chili con quorn, for instance!
#12 Old 05-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I love quorn! Sometimes It is great when you want something which isn't as squishy as tofu or when you want something a bit different (like a veggie Kiev).

As far as the eggwhites I think most of their products have them. However they use free range eggs. (This was not always the case)
#13 Old 05-20-2005, 03:26 PM

before i went vegan I lived on Quorn. The "chicken" cutlets, patties, and strips were great. The roast was good too.
#14 Old 05-20-2005, 03:29 PM

I like them. They are not vegan but my omni family will eat it up better than most of the other imatation products I've tried. I view that as a step. Last Christmas I made a rice dressing using the Quorn tenders & Morning Star griller crumbles. I got alot of praise for it & only my sister, mom & I knew that it didn't have chicken or beef in it. Well, in all reality I know egg whites are a form of chicken. I think I will look into how they obtain the egg whites before I buy any more. Thanks
#15 Old 05-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a big fan of their naked cutlets. But then again, I'm a big fan of naked.

(sorry)
#16 Old 06-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm not vegan, so i think quorn is great. considering i've stopped buying morningstar cuz it's not non-gmo, this is a nice replacement. and their naked cutlets are unbelievable!
#17 Old 06-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted other, because I liked Quorn before, but don't eat it now for veganish reasons.
#18 Old 06-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

My daughter even loves quorn products, and she's picky.

B
#19 Old 06-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I fear quorn products.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#20 Old 06-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't care for it even when I was ovo-lacto. Tasted like shrooms to me. I found plenty of vegan and better-tasting meat analogs and other products. I'd eat seitan over quorn any day.

I've read that some people are allergic to quorn. YMMV.
#21 Old 06-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I like fungus.
#22 Old 07-24-2006, 02:03 PM

I live in Canada and can't get quorn, but I grew up in England.

I miss it sooo much! I'm craving it so badly (and I've lived here for 14 years) that I'm searching all over the place trying to find out if I can order it from anywhere.

It's far superior to any product that we have here (including Tofurky, Smart food, Yves etc).

It's soft and pleasantly textured, the flavour is rich and full (unlike Tofu), and the variety is to die for!

OMG I should make friends with a veggie in the states and get them to send me some
#23 Old 07-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofthemyst View Post

I live in Canada and can't get quorn, but I grew up in England.

I miss it sooo much! I'm craving it so badly (and I've lived here for 14 years) that I'm searching all over the place trying to find out if I can order it from anywhere.

It's far superior to any product that we have here (including Tofurky, Smart food, Yves etc).

It's soft and pleasantly textured, the flavour is rich and full (unlike Tofu), and the variety is to die for!

OMG I should make friends with a veggie in the states and get them to send me some

from California.

*this space not for sale*
#24 Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I like the products, but not something I can eat anymore since removing eggs and dairy from my diet.....durn it!
#25 Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Veggie Regular

It has egg whites in the UK too
#26 Old 07-25-2006, 04:19 AM
Banned

Quorn does not just have eggwhites in it, the mycoprotein is grown in egg whites. Egg whites are a vital part of its make up.

And some people are terribly allergic to it. I'm not allergic to anything that I know of and have an iron stomach. But someone fed me Quorn once and I projectile vomited that stuff within an hour and had terrible stomach problems that whole evening. If you can stomach it, then great.

There's also a lot of studies that show Quorn triggers asthma attacks and other fun things as well.

Quote:
However, co-author Nevin Scrimshaw in 2003 told the U.S. Food and Drug Administration that "I have no doubt from the evidence currently available that the fungal product being marketed as Quorn, and that is causing an alarmingly high frequency of allergic reactions, some of them quite serious, is not the same product we tested. He added: "I am appalled that this material is allowed to stay on the market."

More here: http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/medical_research.html

I'll stick with the other brands of fake meats, or make my own, thank you very much!
#27 Old 07-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

also a lot of studies that show Quorn triggers asthma attacks and other fun things as well.

Yikes! I read that link, and that's kinda scary. Even if it was vegan, I'd choose to avoid it.
#28 Old 07-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofthemyst View Post

Bad news... we don't seem to have nearly the variety of Quorn products in the States that they in the UK/Europe. I was floored by the array of things when I checked out the UK site.
#29 Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I love the tasty little guys. But I don't eat them. When I started eating them I got colitis; when I quit the colitis went away. Could be coincidence, but I'm not that anxious to experiment. I suspect an allergy.
#30 Old 07-27-2006, 05:09 AM
Banned

Yep - I like em.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page