Vegetarian Food Product Recall - contains egg - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Beginner

I noticed this is a couple days old, but I didn't see a post on it here so I thought I should post it:

http://healthandfitness.sympatico.ms...etect=&abc=abc

TORONTO (CP) - The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has broadened an earlier food recall of vegetarian products that contain egg protein not listed among ingredients on their labels.

People with egg allergies, who can suffer serious reactions if exposed to egg protein, should avoid these products, the agency said.

The earlier warning suggested listed vegetarian foods marketed under the YTS Veggie Food brand with expiration dates from 4/27/04 to 4/27/05 were covered by the recall.

But the agency has learned that packages of the foods sold in Canada may not bear an expiration date. Consequently all packages of the following YTS Veggie Food brand products distributed in Canada

are subject to the recall:

-Veggie Lamb, 10 ounce (283 gram), UPC 6 42971 95705 3.

-Veggie Golden Roast, 1 pound (454 gram), UPC 6 42971 95701 5.

-Liang Zen Golden Ham, 2.2 pound (35.3 ounce), UPC 6 42971 95712 1.

The affected products imported from the United States were distributed only in the Toronto area. The importer, Perfect International Co. Ltd., of North York, Ont., is voluntarily recalling the products from the market.

The agency said it is continuing its food safety investigation and monitoring the effectiveness of the recall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Banned

Never heard of them. Although Golden Roast sounds
#3 Old 05-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Banned

I read about this the other day, the company voluntarily issued a recall in the United States and notified the FDA so at least they are dealing this on the up and up unlike *cough*Health is Wealth*cough*.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Banned

Health is Wealth??
#5 Old 05-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

Health is Wealth??

The packaged some real chicken nuggets in the vegan boxes a couple years ago. The didn't have to recall it, since chicken isn't an allergen, so they didn't recall it.
#6 Old 05-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Banned

#7 Old 05-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

The packaged some real chicken nuggets in the vegan boxes a couple years ago. The didn't have to recall it, since chicken isn't an allergen, so they didn't recall it.

#8 Old 05-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Banned

Some VB members got some of the mispackaged chicken at the time, I don't either of them are active now but here is the thread:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...=health+wealth
#9 Old 05-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Banned

OMG I never had heard of that Health is Wealth thing. I once bought their nuggets a few years ago, I didn't like the taste so I don't buy them anymore. UGH that is horrible. I would have freaked.

I know someone who was ACTUALLY allergic to chicken - it might not be a common allergen, but he had a terrible reaction to it (windpipe would swell up and he couldn't breathe.) So this should have been all over the news as far as I am concerned.

Disgusting.
#10 Old 05-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I looked up the health as wealth recall. There was one done up a few days before the first post in the above thread. It didn't look like the FDA put out a notice until October (which was a few months later).

Please note that this was 2 years ago. I'm just posting it out of interest:

Quote:

PRODUCT

Chicken-Free Nuggets, Net Wt. 12 OZ. (340g). Recall # F-521-3.

CODE

Date code 3077. The product's date is embossed on the side panel of the retail package, and the first five numbers are 23077. A manufacturer's date of 30772 appears on the outside case.

RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER

Health Is Wealth Products, Inc., Williamstown, NJ, by telephone and fax on August 1, 2003. Firm initiated recall is complete.

REASON

Chicken-Free Nuggets are mislabeled because the product inside the package is made of chicken.

VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE

1,442 cases/12 boxes per case.

DISTRIBUTION

Nationwide.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforc.../ENF00815.html

*I added the bold*
#11 Old 05-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Banned

So there was a recall. Most of the people who got this did so in July 2003 so it seems like an October recall is a bit late to do much good, I know for a fact that HIW was aware of the problem at least as early as the beginning of July. Either way, I stand corrected, a recall was issued.
#12 Old 05-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Banned

I don't get why it takes the FDA so long to publicize the recall. I also didn't realize how much was mispackaged. Presumably thousands of people ate them and never knew.
#13 Old 05-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So there was a recall. Most of the people who got this did so in July 2003 so it seems like an October recall is a bit late to do much good, I know for a fact that HIW was aware of the problem at least as early as the beginning of July. Either way, I stand corrected, a recall was issued.

Agreed. It was definitely too late. It looks like it was an FDA delay...but HIW still should have done a voluntary recall as soon as they found out.

BTW, I wasn't trying to prove you wrong. I had forgotten until now that you had said that there wasn't a recall. I just googled it to see if I could find out more info because the thread left everything up in the air.
#14 Old 05-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

Agreed. It was definitely too late. It looks like it was an FDA delay...but HIW still should have done a voluntary recall as soon as they found out.

BTW, I wasn't trying to prove you wrong. I had forgotten until now that you had said that there wasn't a recall. I just googled it to see if I could find out more info because the thread left everything up in the air.

I always assumed there was no recall because the thing had pretty much died down before it was published by the FDA. I also thought it was weird that the people who questioned HIW about this were never contacted back and apologized to or had the situation explained.
#15 Old 05-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't get why it takes the FDA so long to publicize the recall. I also didn't realize how much was mispackaged. Presumably thousands of people ate them and never knew.

True. If you look at the link, there are some scary drug and blood recalls that took a really long time for the FDA to publicise. Let's hope that the companies involved publicised the recalls before the FDA.
#16 Old 05-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I always assumed there was no recall because the thing had pretty much died down before it was published by the FDA. I also thought it was weird that the people who questioned HIW about this were never contacted back and apologized to or had the situation explained.

True. I wonder if they were maybe contacted later and just didn't post about it. Probably not...
#17 Old 05-14-2005, 09:13 PM
Banned

I wish HIW would have just called all there suppliers the day they confirmed this and asked them to return/destroy the affected product instead of just going the FDA route. It almost seems like they managed to do enough to cover their butts and still having the minimum amount of product returned possible, insteading of acting in the customer's best interests from day 1.

I've noticed nobody here seems to really buy the HIW nuggests now that they aren't vegan anyway, I always wondered why they gave up being the vegan nugget to be one of a dozen vegetarian ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page