Dinner HELP!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Lately I've been in the rut...like every aspect of my life is down in the dumps and I don't know why...at any rate, I usually LOVE cooking and experimenting in the kitchen...but that's an area that's recently been affected by this overcast...

Anyway...I've got crap in my fridge that I need to use up...I haven't been eating vegetables like I should be for several days now (I know, baaad ), so here's what I've got:

Portabella Mushrooms (2 giant caps)

1 Yellow Pepper

1 Orange Pepper

1/2 Red Pepper

Broccoli (which I can easily steam as a side to something else)

White Potatoes

onions, carrots, fresh garlic...

What should I make for dinner tonight? I'm a tad pressed for time because I MUST go running tonight (yet another slack-off of mine as of late)...so...any ideas? I was thinking stir-fry would be great, but the time and prep that goes into that exhausts me just thinking about it.

Erm. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was also thinking pizza, so can someone provide a link for a "cheese" I could use for it? I have nutritional yeast, but no vegan cheese (whatever that popular one that melts is), so...yeah. Thanks again

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna Clark Grogan View Post

From Bryanna Clark Grogan's 20 Minutes to Dinner:

Melty Pizza Cheese

Makes 1 1/4 cups/5 servings

1 c. water

1/4 c. nutritional yeast

2 T. cornstarch

1 T. flour

1 tsp. lemon juice

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. garlic granules

OPTIONAL: 4 tsp. calcium carbonate powder

2 T. water

OPTIONAL: 1 T. canola oil

(my addition - 1/4 tsp. turmeric)

Place all ingredients, except the 2 T. water and additional oil, in a blender/processor and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until it starts to thicken, then let it bubble for 30 seconds. Whisk vigorously.

Or pour the mixture into a microwave-proof bowl; cover and cook on high for 2 minutes. Whisk, then microwave for 2 more minutes, and whisk again.

Whisk in the water and optional oil. The oil adds richness and helps it melt better, but the cheese still only contains 2.6 g. of fat per 1/4 cup.

Drizzle immediately over pizza or other food, and broil or bake until a skin forms on top. Alternatively, refrigerate in a small, covered plastic container for up to a week. It will become quite firm when chilled but will still remain spreadable. You can spread the firm cheese on bread or quesadillas for grilling, or heat it to spread more thinly on casseroles, etc.

Variations

Melty Jack Cheese: Omit the oil and add 1 T. tahini to the blender mixture

Melty Suisse Cheese: Omit the oil and use only 1/4 tsp. salt. Add 1 T. tahini and 1 T. light soy or chick-pea miso to the blended mixture

Melty Cheddar Cheese: Use 1/3 c. nutritional yeast flakes and add 1/4 tsp each sweet Hungarian paprika and mustard powder. Use only 1/4 tsp. salt and add 1 T. light soy of chick-pea miso to the blended mixture

Smoky Cheese: To the basic recipe or any of the above variations, add 1/8 tsp. liquid smoke

Cheese Sauce, Rarebit, or Fondue: Add 1 cup to 1 1/4 cup non-diary milk, dry white wine, or beer (can be non-alcoholic) to any of the cheese variations. (Try using the Suisse for fondue and the Cheddar for Rarebit). You may add a pinch of nutmeg and white pepper. Add salt to taste.

Nacho Sauce: You can add drained, canned black beans, chopped jalapenos or other chiles, chopped olives, a pinch of cumin, etc., using Jack or Cheddar as a base.

Or, saute of tri-color peppers, garlic, and onion, make a sandwich with that using grilled portabellos as the bun.
#3 Old 05-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_vegan View Post

Lately I've been in the rut...like every aspect of my life is down in the dumps and I don't know why...at any rate, I usually LOVE cooking and experimenting in the kitchen...but that's an area that's recently been affected by this overcast...

Anyway...I've got crap in my fridge that I need to use up...I haven't been eating vegetables like I should be for several days now (I know, baaad ), so here's what I've got:

1 Yellow Pepper

1 Orange Pepper

1/2 Red Pepper

White Potatoes

What should I make for dinner tonight? I'm a tad pressed for time because I MUST go running tonight (yet another slack-off of mine as of late)...so...any ideas? I was thinking stir-fry would be great, but the time and prep that goes into that exhausts me just thinking about it.

Erm. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was also thinking pizza, so can someone provide a link for a "cheese" I could use for it? I have nutritional yeast, but no vegan cheese (whatever that popular one that melts is), so...yeah. Thanks again

Cheers.

First thought.... fajitas!

Fine dice and sautee the potatoes. Then, saute up the peppers and onions. When everything looks nice, sautee in some carrot shreads (or diced bits) and garlic bits. The Mushrooms can either be sliced and sauteed too OR they can be oven baked and used as a base for the veg "stuffing" (cook veggies, cook mushrooms, lay veg on schrooms and enjoy), it's your call. Serve with grains, if you have some precooked. Serve with warmed corn tortillas if you have them (soft taco style es muy bueno! ).

If you go with a pizza, I would go naked cause pizza doesn't need cheese to taste well, it only needs good veggies.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I was also thinking pizza, so can someone provide a link for a "cheese" I could use for it? I have nutritional yeast, but no vegan cheese (whatever that popular one that melts is), so...yeah. Thanks again

Cheers.

Here's the link you're looking for. I just discovered this cheese a couple of weeks ago. It is terrific on pizza.

http://www.imearthkind.com/
#5 Old 05-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Administrator

I've been wanting to try this...

http://vegweb.com/recipes/pizza/5072.shtml

You use the mushroom caps as the pizza "crust!"

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 05-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Tacos? perhaps take a veggie burger and break it up for the "meat"?

Or a Taco salad.

#7 Old 05-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I've been wanting to try this...

http://vegweb.com/recipes/pizza/5072.shtml

You use the mushroom caps as the pizza "crust!"

That does look good. You test it first!
#8 Old 05-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

If you have a can of coconut milk, make a quick thai curry. All of those veggies cut up will work great. Just cook them in the liquid. Curry paste would be perfect for seasoning, but some basic curry powder or cumin/coriander mixture would work too.
#9 Old 05-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

1 Yellow Pepper

1 Orange Pepper

1/2 Red Pepper

White Potatoes

What should I make for dinner tonight?

You want to use it all in one dinner?

You could grill the portabellas, steam the broccoli, roast the potatoes/carrots and marinate the peppers as a cold crunchy salad with oil & garlic (add herbs if you've got 'em).
#10 Old 05-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks all for the suggestions...

However, the evening went awry and turned pretty crappy, so I made a late lentil soup with most of the stuff...guess the mushies will be used tomorrow.

Some of the recipes/ideas sound great for next time!

Cheers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page