Tofu??? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never been a big tofu eater but would like to add some to my diet.

Sometimes I like to have pita and stuff some veggies in it but it doesn't fill me up for longer than 30 minutes.

I need something that will keep me full for longer.

I have seen salads prepared with chunks of tofu on it. Can I take a block of tofu and just slice it up and put a couple of slices in my pita with my veggies? Should I cook it or anything? How does raw tofu taste? I have only blended it into smoothies before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I almost always cook firm tofu, in oil. Maybe it is that that helps make you full (adding fat), although I don't really know. I don't like the taste of plain uncooked tofu (without added flavor).

Silken tofu, I often use in smoothies and pudding and sauce-type things.
#3 Old 04-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSwab View Post

Sometimes I like to have pita and stuff some veggies in it but it doesn't fill me up for longer than 30 minutes.

I have seen salads prepared with chunks of tofu on it. Can I take a block of tofu and just slice it up and put a couple of slices in my pita with my veggies? Should I cook it or anything? How does raw tofu taste? I have only blended it into smoothies before...

You should marinate it before you cook it or I believe it is flavorless. I've never tried it raw, but I've heard that it has 0 flavor on its own. There are a ton of recipes on vegweb for tofu that I've seen.

It would probably be good marinated, cooked and put in a pita with veggies, I'd imagine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

uncooked tofu straight from the package will be very bland. For salads or a sandwich I would recommend seasoned baked tofu. You can find recipes for making your own but white wave and wildwood are two brands of packaged baked tofu you can buy. The packaged baked tofu is fine straight from the package. The plain tofu can harbor bacteria so it would be best to at least steam it before using it, but as a healthy adult you can't really hurt yourself with it. I think of uncooked tofu like I would uncooked eggs, definately not for young children or elderly people but I'm not scared to eat it myself.
#5 Old 04-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm. I looked on VegWeb for recipies. I see that you can pretty much marinade it with anything.

What are your favorite seasonings?
#6 Old 04-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Beginner

I'm hooked on the flavoured tofu's from Petes- I put in salads, pitas, burritos etc. They have an Italian one I crumble on top of all pastas- YUM!!!
#7 Old 04-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Soy sauce is often used to give yummy flavor to tofu.

I like sprinkling on some nutritional yeast, but usually it's salt, pepper, paprika, and/or turmeric. I don't really have a ton of spices available, but enough to give an at least somewhat good taste...
#8 Old 04-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

For an Asian flair, I like to marinate extra firm tofu in a mixture of mirin, soy sauce, and grated ginger, thinned with a little water and boiled to caramelize the mirin. If I'm feeling crazy, I'll add a tablespoon or so of apricot or plum preserves.

For a spicy tofu dish, I'll marinate it in Tabasco or Texas Pete, salt and black pepper.

Really, the possibilities are endless. Anything you've ever heard of used on meat dishes can be adapted for tofu.

Before you marinate, though, make sure you drain and press the tofu.
#9 Old 04-24-2005, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Take a silken-block (the aseptic pack) and mush it up with some nayonaise, curry powder or chili powder, salt and pepper...

voila!

Quick and easy "egg" salad...I eat that inside of a WW pita for breakfast sometimes...so you get some grain/protein right off the bat...

Cheers!
#10 Old 04-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_vegan View Post

Take a silken-block (the aseptic pack) and mush it up with some nayonaise, curry powder or chili powder, salt and pepper...

voila!

Quick and easy "egg" salad...I eat that inside of a WW pita for breakfast sometimes...so you get some grain/protein right off the bat...

Cheers!

That is a delicious way to eat tofu. Real egg salad used to make me vomit... literally. My mom even made some yesterday and I smelled it from the living room and had to leave. ;_; Vegan food is so superior.
#11 Old 04-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

How about a stir-fry? A lot of veggies, some rice or even a little bit of pasta, tofu, and sauce of your choice (I like teriyaki, soy, or sesame-ginger) is a healthy, delicious, and filling meal.
#12 Old 04-25-2005, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

All excellent ideas for filling your pita with tofu. For myself, the first thing to come to mind for filling a pita ain't tofu; it's Falafel!

Spread the insides with a little hummus, fill with four or more falafel pieces (depending on how big they are) drizzle on a little tahini dressing and voila! A meal that will leave you full possibly even longer than a tofu filling But, try the tofu fillings, too. It's all good
#13 Old 04-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Where do you find falafel?
#14 Old 04-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Where do you find falafel?

You can buy boxes of falafel, but it's not prepared yet..you have to do the work yourself. It's pretty easy to make though. Just some olive oil, lemon juice, water, and then you shape it into patties/balls and then stick it in the oven or a deep-fryer (but personally I prefer the oven).

You can also buy some already-made falafel balls at health food stores..I know Mothers Market and Kitchen sells them for 99 cents each..that's way too expensive for me though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page