Vegan Spelt Bread and Cookies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-14-2005, 11:36 AM

Hi there: I supply a local health foods store with spelt breads and cookies. I currently make about 5 different types of bread and maybe 8 kinds of cookies. There doesnt seem to be an abundance of good bread recipes online or in cookbooks,and I want to start making some different varieties. Currently I make these type : Raisin Molasses,Honey Flax,Mixed Seed,Plain honey white,Molasses with flax and rolled oats. I am also interested in new cookie recipes especially those utilizing tofu. Id appreciate any suggestions.Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Just substitute spelt flour into any recipe calling for wheat flour. I am allergic to wheat and that's what I do. It really behaves pretty much exactly the same.
#3 Old 04-15-2005, 08:11 AM

Hi Mollygoat: Thanks,but I've tried this and it has about a 50% failure/success rate. Baking is too exact a science for such an easy substitution. Example: most of my cookie recipes were originally for wheat flour,when substituting spelt the rule of thumb is: 4 cups wheat=5 cups spelt,this doesnt translate the same for bread recipes unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I do it all the time for bread recipes with no problem. Strange.
#5 Old 04-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Would a possible difference in altitude have anything to do with the different behaviour for the flours you're experiencing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page