Hot Sauce/ Salsas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I poked around a bit and didn't find a post about hot sauce or salsa, so I thought it was high time that I made a thread to discuss my favorite food item/condiment of all time!

So, what is your favorite kind of hot sauce or salsa?

I previously mentioned Mrs. Renfro's salsas in my interview thread right here. Here is their website. Their habañero and green salsas are so yummy!

I have recently discovered the hottest thing I've ever had in my mouth, It's a Mexican hot sauce known as Kutbil-ik, by El Yucatero. It is evidently made from an old Mayan recipe. Now, I can eat some hot, hot, hot, hot food and not even blink. Let's just say that I "learned" really fast about the Kutbil-ik, and to respect the label when it says that 1 tbsp is a serving.

Any interested parties may check out their site right here .

So, you hot and spicy sauce and salsa fans out there......what do you like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish I had a stronger pallet, but alas I do not. However, I do like me some salsa...mild kinds, of course

I like Muri Glen (or whatever) mild version...I also like...I don't know the brand (maybe the same?) but it's a black bean salsa.

I also enjoy making my own

Cheers and ole!
#3 Old 04-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Banned

Hot Sauce: Crystal

Salsa: Home made
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I like fresh salsa, not jarred, so I usually pick a local fresh-made one. I like the Trader Joe's Hot Salsa a whole lot, after I blend it a little more in the blender.

I'm a Tabasco girl, but I'm always open to any delicious hot sauce! I love Sriracha sauce for Asian foods.
#5 Old 04-11-2005, 11:45 PM

<<<loves too many salsas to list them all here. Seriously, when I moved from MI, there were I think 7 kinds of salsa in my fridge. Salsa with seitan, salsa with potatoes, salsa with rice..it's very versatile.

If I had to pick just one, it would be American Spoon's (spoon.com) Mango-Habanero salsa. This stuff is amazing, and wickedly hot. Yum.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 04-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I like homemade personally - I can make it hot enough for my preferences... or if jarred, I like the Mrs. Renfro's green or the Safeway (store brand) Peach Pineapple Salsa - to which I MUST add more minced jalapenos...

For hot sauce I like Crystal. I make killer "Buffalo Wings" with seitan and Crystal Hot sauce...
#7 Old 04-12-2005, 07:37 AM

You should try this one..
#8 Old 04-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually eat President's Choice (a store brand) hot salsa. I agree fresh salsa is great, but bottled salsa is cheap and convenient, so it's what I keep around. As for hot sauces, I like a habanero sauce that a local jamaican place stocks. It's bright yellow and not as acidic as many hot sauces. My boyfriend likes Dave's insanity, which is very hot.
#9 Old 04-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

My favorite salsa is the safeway brand medium salsa. It works on so many things.

As for hot sauce, my fav is this asian chili hot sauce with a rooster on the bottle, but I forgot the name and I can't find it any where! :cry;

I used it on everything; in beans, burritos, stirfries, soups. I miss my hot sauce.

I think I may have to call up my dad and make him track it down for me!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#10 Old 04-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post

You should try this one..

Whoa......6 million Scoville units?

That may very well be the hottest thing I've ever heard of.
#11 Old 04-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

If I had to pick just one hot sauce, it would be rooster sauce
#12 Old 04-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

RIght now, in our fridge we have Cheech's Mango, and Garlic hot sauces, Arizona Gunslinger, and some Trader Joe varieties. We usually have more in there, we love hot sauce One of my favorites is El Yucateco ( I think I spelled that right). I have a Habenero Lime salsa and a Pico De Gallo salsa currently in the fridge.
#13 Old 04-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

Whoa......6 million Scoville units?

That may very well be the hottest thing I've ever heard of.

http://www.victoryseeds.com/information/scoville.html
#14 Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 PM

Frog ranch.
#15 Old 04-12-2005, 08:54 PM

Roasted corn & black bean salsa is the food of the gods.
#16 Old 04-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Banned

In order for that hot sauce to be 6 million scoville units it would need to be about 1/3 capsaicin by volume in which case it couldn't be sold in the US without a prescription, so something isn't adding up.

ETA: It appears the sauce is made with an extract that is 6 million scoville units, the website gives no indication of the scoville rating for the actual product.
#17 Old 04-12-2005, 10:29 PM

OMG Pisces Coda - where do you live?? I LOVE FROG RANCH..

and they're only 15 minutes up the road from me.
#18 Old 04-13-2005, 09:27 AM

My favorite HOT salsa is The Wrath Religious Experience salsa. Yum.

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/hsw2317.html
#19 Old 04-13-2005, 11:14 AM

I saw someone mention Sriracha chile sauce. A sushi chef friend of mine gave me 2 bottles of that stuff and I can't get enough of it. I put it on rice, potatos, vegetables, and when I was still eating animals I would put it all over them. Now I have none, and I have to either order it from the website or visit an Asian market. But it's worth it, it has a nice taste to it besides just the heat factor.
#20 Old 04-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I looooooove salsa! I buy EXTRA HOT and add in some jalapenos! I don't like hot sauce though. Best salsa is homemade, but Chi-Chi's (not the jar, at the actual restaurant) makes awesome spicy salsa.
#21 Old 04-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

MFuture, Sriracha is perfect on potatoes, isn't it? Mmmmm.

This thread has inspired me to make my own salsa for dinner tonight. I'm excited! I haven't made salsa in quite a while.
#22 Old 04-13-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
MFuture, Sriracha is perfect on potatoes, isn't it? Mmmmm.

Sure is! Mashed, fried, roasted
#23 Old 04-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara33 View Post

My favorite HOT salsa is The Wrath Religious Experience salsa. Yum.

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/hsw2317.html

That one looks tasty. A nice deep red color too.
#24 Old 09-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Bumpity bump bump....

I was on vacation, visiting a friend this past week and she took me to a spectacular store in New Hope, Pennsylvania called Suzie Hot Sauce. It was truly heaven for those who like the spicier things in life, so I thought I'd share the link here for those interested.

http://www.suziehotsauce.com/

After much browsing (and much taste-testing) I took home a bottle of Chipotle Slam, which is rated a 6 by the site.

It's so damn good I can't stand it.

Just wanted to share.
#25 Old 09-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooh, salsa! I've had a really hard time finding a storebought salsa I truly love. My mom makes a great homemade salsa that's a medium heat where most of the heat comes from garlic rather than jalapeno or other peppers (I hope anthony11 is listening), and it has a unique sweet flavor that I've never tasted anywhere else. The closest thing to it is Hell on the Red, which I think may only be available regionally. I like a lot of restaurant salsas, but I've yet to find anything in a jar I'd be in a big hurry to buy again. We sometimes get Arriba salsas, and I like a couple of their varieties decently well, but unfortunately, when faced with the array of flavors on the grocery store shelf, I can never remember which ar ethe ones I like.

One thing I do know for sure... I HATE HATE HATE Pace!
#26 Old 09-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

We get a hot sauce at the farmers market that is a little like the rooster sauce except much, much hotter.

Ebola had about a quarter teaspoon on a chip once and he had to eat about half a loaf of bread to end the pain. Remilard says it is worse than habeneros, which he has eaten raw a couple of times.
#27 Old 09-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

ingredients: water, sugar, vinegar, chili, garlic powder, salt.

I'm not sure. I think it actually contains fire.
#28 Old 09-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Chile Addict Peach Salsa with Green Chile (made in Albuquerque, no suprise I'm partial to a New Mexico brand)
#29 Old 09-03-2006, 04:25 AM
Banned

I like the Roasted Garlic Salsa by Taco Bell good and cheap. For hot sauce I use Texas Pete or Crystal.
#30 Old 09-03-2006, 04:58 AM
Beginner

I LOVE Cedar's Mexican Gold salsa, the hot hot hot kind! I can't say whether or not it is the hottest salsa I have ever had, but it is very, very good, my favorite.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page